Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2 Beta 4 ... Windows 10 notes ( Firewall, hibernation )

Just wanted to mention my observations to from running Beta 4 on Windows 10....

I have discovered that everywhere I have installed it, I have had to specifically allow ports 24800 and 24810 before it will work with the firewall turned on...  even Synergy 2.0 is specifically white listed in the Windows firewall for both public and private networks...

It seems to have trouble recognizing a network change.  For example when I hibernate my laptop and de-hibernate in a new location connected to a new network, it still thinks it is on the old network.   I have tried restarting the service, shutting down the program and shutting down the program AND restarting the service and so have I usually have to reboot the computer before Synergy 2 Beta 4 will recognize that it is now on a different network.

I really like the fact that Synergy 2 will automatically switch the server to the active mouse/keyboard....

Anyway, I just wanted to let everybody know what I have experienced so far with Beta 4 and how to get it working...

• Like 1

For the firewall, you need to add exceptions for the four separate programs. IMO opinion this is a better solution than opening up specific ports.

6 hours ago, IT Troll said:

For the firewall, you need to add exceptions for the four separate programs. IMO opinion this is a better solution than opening up specific ports.

My experience is similar on a much simpler setup: 2 computers. To make synergy run I had to do to things:
1. Day 1: make exceptions in Kaspersky to permit 6 .exe programs to run without monitoring (do I need all 6?). Shutdown overnight.
2. Day 2, Boot both computers, and the Synergy app shows only the current computer is running; the other computer is absent from the app display. When I restart each computer, each sees the other when login is completed on each computer. Popping the service on each computer does not have any effect.

Some additional notes.

On all my computers I have all 6 synergy programs whitelisted for both in-bound and out-bound as well as the ports 24800 and 24810....

However, when I switch networks, in order to get it started I have to do the following:

Turn OFF windows firewall on all the computers,  restart the Synergy service on all the computers, start synergy.

Once it connects to all the computers, then I can turn the firewall back on and it continues to work....  until I take my laptop to another office / network, and then I have to repeat the same thing over again.

• 2 weeks later...