Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

End of Life for Synergy 1?

Does the release of the Synergy 2 beta imply that Synergy 1 is going to be sunset soon? Or that it will stop receiving updates in the near future? If so, do we know when that will happen?

I'm perfectly happy with version 1. I'm not having problems and I'm not bothered by the IP-based connecting. But if I'm going to lose it soon, it makes sense to buy the Beta version 2 now (before the price goes up).

PS - this software rocks. I work in IT and when I'm installing updates on 5 laptops simultaneously, Synergy keeps me from losing my mind switching keyboards all the time.

Synergy 1  is still the best and stablest atm. Synergy2 beta has lots of problems, some people cannot setup it successfully. I believe if you happy with S1 and no problems, you can stay on it. However, if you like to use the newest, "fashion" and ease to use thing, buy S2, it is cheap now. For me, it only 5$, maybe only worth a Big Mac. And im waiting the release of S2 ( not beta).

Edited by Hypn0s
GranPaSmurf

My understanding is that way, way down the road, (way down) Version 1 will stop being supported or sold. Based on exchanges with Nick, I would guess you have years before you would be faced with such a decision.

Synergy beta 4 is not Synergy 2. it is an incompletely developed test version for beta testers to try and report back about. Many users have 'bought in' to the beta program and stepped back to the stable version 1 waiting for the full version 2 or to test the next beta, beta 5. They still, of course, have a financial consideration for the final version of Synergy 2. It should be on the market about the end of the year.

That said, the goal of Synergy 2 is that a user installs it and it auto-configures and works without the user having to intervene. Even to select a server.

There will be access to a console for administrative control for specific cases, but most users won't ever see it.

Thanks for the information! Personally, I'm a fan of the detailed information and super-configurability of Synergy 1. I wouldn't mind a simpler option, but if it replaces the existing settings, I think I'd be disappointed.

Anyway, I'm probably going to wait until the official release, for stability and so I know what features I'm getting.

Appreciate the quick response!

AcE Krystal

How about users that just bought it? I expected lifetime licences. Sure you can't keep a program in the air for ever. But my friend and I decided to go for it since it is life time. Having used it for a few month and then hearing it will be replaced by synergy 2 is really not something I expected from the "life time" license we just bought.

Is there anything for current Synergy 1 license owners? We are really disappointed at what feels like marketing tricks for us.

Kelvin Tran
On 10/13/2017 at 10:26 AM, KringleKrebs said:

My understanding is that way, way down the road, (way down) Version 1 will stop being supported or sold. Based on exchanges with Nick, I would guess you have years before you would be faced with such a decision.

Synergy beta 4 is not Synergy 2. it is an incompletely developed test version for beta testers to try and report back about. Many users have 'bought in' to the beta program and stepped back to the stable version 1 waiting for the full version 2 or to test the next beta, beta 5. They still, of course, have a financial consideration for the final version of Synergy 2. It should be on the market about the end of the year.

That said, the goal of Synergy 2 is that a user installs it and it auto-configures and works without the user having to intervene. Even to select a server.

There will be access to a console for administrative control for specific cases, but most users won't ever see it.

Well, not really "years", per se.

Yes, however, Synergy 1 will be dropped after a majority of the user share for Synergy 1 has switched over to Synergy 2 for their usage. Synergy 2, however, as he said, is meant to be used in an auto-configuration mode instead of consistent user intervention, as then it would make your life harder, not easier. 

Console? I don't think it's a console, more like just an administrative "control panel" (GUI, not CMD line).

On 10/15/2017 at 6:31 PM, AcE Krystal said:

How about users that just bought it? I expected lifetime licences. Sure you can't keep a program in the air for ever. But my friend and I decided to go for it since it is life time. Having used it for a few month and then hearing it will be replaced by synergy 2 is really not something I expected from the "life time" license we just bought.

Is there anything for current Synergy 1 license owners? We are really disappointed at what feels like marketing tricks for us.

No official word on much: 

jaap aarts
On 10/16/2017 at 1:31 AM, AcE Krystal said:

yes there is, although nothing really specific it will likely come as a discount for synergy2