Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Cloud-less Connection for Corporate Networks

Is there a way (or even on the roadmap) to allow connections between PCs with restricted external network access?

The "cloud only" version of the program is OK if you have unrestricted access to the internet, a fallback (manual IP or something) would be appreciated.

+1
Several others who have commented that 2.0 will only be viable once it has at least the basic features of the 1.x family. I cannot for the life of me understand how a dramatic jump from local network connectivity to cloud connectivity became a core need for this product as it introduces more complexity to the communications pathway. There are more potential points of failure for the solution overall, not to mention the introduction of security concerns. Perhaps I am not clear on the role the "cloud" plays in 2.0 but that is because  I am not finding any documentation on the architecture, etc.

On 10/13/2017 at 1:00 PM, chollandjr said:

+1
Several others who have commented that 2.0 will only be viable once it has at least the basic features of the 1.x family. I cannot for the life of me understand how a dramatic jump from local network connectivity to cloud connectivity became a core need for this product as it introduces more complexity to the communications pathway. There are more potential points of failure for the solution overall, not to mention the introduction of security concerns. Perhaps I am not clear on the role the "cloud" plays in 2.0 but that is because  I am not finding any documentation on the architecture, etc.

Trying to look at it objectively.. I suppose that the cloud was the logical place to be the central configuration repository so that your systems were not dependent on connecting to one another directly on a network where things such as local firewalls could get in the way, potentially enabling 'zero configuration' beyond the need to enter your account details. Indeed it would also mean you could link devices on more than just local networks as well, bringing LTE connected devices into play. So use of the cloud in this instance seems perfectly legitimate to me.

But I agree that it does introduce security concerns, assuming that all keypresses are going up through Symless servers. Even if encryption is in play, it's still enough to give pause for thought.

The only logic to serving from the cloud is to collect data. Local firewalls are generally FAR less intrusive than external firewalls, so I'm not quite sure how it would be better to have to poke holes in that.  You can open your local firewalls and still be protected from the world at large...unless, of course, you're required to turn your external firewall into a sieve for every programmer/company that decides they can make extra money on the side.

Until this requirement is met, my license is useless.

• 2 weeks later...