Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Please DO NOT run Synergy automatically all the time

Thanks for making Synergy 2 a much more clever app, I really appreciate your effort.

But I wish that we users could at least decide whether to run Synergy 2 automatically all the time, because me and other colleagues share the same client computer. When I am not using it but someone else is, an non-stop Synergy brings trouble, especially when we all have Synergy installed.

Please consider such situation, thanks!

Edited by Guoyu

If you have the technical know how you should be able to turn this off.

Admittedly I haven't tried it, but from the sounds of the features, this should be located in services. You would simply need to change the synergy service from startup type "Automatic" to "Manual" and create a shortcut to start and stop it.

If it is starting through some other means, there are other ways to handle it. Not ideal long term but an easy short term fix.

2 minutes ago, KringleKrebs said:

Good catch Guoyu. Good beta testing. Devs?

not Devs, just that for security reasons some files of the company are locked in one same computer, and we need to access it when we need to use those files.

3 minutes ago, KairuByte said:

If you have the technical know how you should be able to turn this off.

Admittedly I haven't tried it, but from the sounds of the features, this should be located in services. You would simply need to change the synergy service from startup type "Automatic" to "Manual" and create a shortcut to start and stop it.

If it is starting through some other means, there are other ways to handle it. Not ideal long term but an easy short term fix.

Thanks for the suggestion, but sorry that this might not be a good workaround for company users, as we don't have service-level access of the computer. And I'm pretty sure our IT guys won't let us do so.

Edited by Guoyu
2 minutes ago, Guoyu said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but sorry that this might not be a good workaround for company users, as we don't have service-level access of the computer. 

You were able to install Synergy so you should already have the permissions needed to make the change. Otherwise someone in your Security team messed up, since an installer able to do "bad things" is the same as a user able to do those same "bad things", just with a lot more uncertainty.

Have you tried a good old net stop "synergy"? If you can get that to work you can likely just get someone with permissions to kill off the auto start and use the command line.

Alternatively you could create a locally signed installer that makes the change for you, but that's likely too much effort.

10 minutes ago, KairuByte said:

You were able to install Synergy so you should already have the permissions needed to make the change. Otherwise someone in your Security team messed up, since an installer able to do "bad things" is the same as a user able to do those same "bad things", just with a lot more uncertainty.

Have you tried a good old net stop "synergy"? If you can get that to work you can likely just get someone with permissions to kill off the auto start and use the command line.

Alternatively you could create a locally signed installer that makes the change for you, but that's likely too much effort.

Thanks again but seems things are getting complicated. Actually we don't have the authorization to install anything. Usually we send our requests to IT dept and they sort of use magic to install software to our computer remotely. 

And back to the start, I am not asking for a brand new feature from Symless, I am just voicing out my needs so they can consider to bring *BACK* the settings of Synergy 1.x a little bit. This do no harm to anyone, right?

Edited by Guoyu
Carlos Familia

I was actually looking on how to disable Synergy 2 service wen I bumped into this thread. Not only it will be an useful feature enterprise wise, but, not having another service using my battery when I am away from the office or home would be nice (even if it doesn't use much). Moreover it was something that I was expecting for an upgraded version of Synergy 1. 

I vote in favor of this feature.

GranPaSmurf

Good beta tester work guys, We are expecting a much more feature-rich final version Synergy 2. So far these betas are somewhat under-developed.