Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

How to stop Synergy 2 Beta on Mac

Hi all,

I understand this is a beta version, but there should be a way to stop Synergy like in version 1 (Quit option at the menu) and not only killing the running process.

Any comments / suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Was going to post a topic about this but you beat me to it. I could use a stop feature as well for when I'm not near my PC. For Mac it would be nice if there was a menu bar icon where you could bring up the GUI and also start/stop. In fact I would make it menu-bar only (no Dock icon) since it fits more with the background service approach, but that's just my preference.

The only way I could stop it was to try to uninstall it during the very short time period between killing it in Activity Monitor and the automatic restart. 

That worked for me (being quick at killing the process and deleting the app.) Still odd that 2 of those 3 processes synergy runs just never die though even when force-quit.

I also would better control over when the app runs and how to stop it. I love this app, and I've been using v1 for a long time. I plan to continue using it hopefully. However, not being clear (or not providing info) around how to control the process / uninstall is a deal breaker generally for me. (I may be missing a page somewhere in the FAQ? I did look around before posting.)

There are two plist files on my machine.  One is the /Library/LaunchAgents/com.symless.synergy.v2.synergyd.plist and the other is /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.symless.v2.ServiceHelper.plist. Moving them and restarting stops the services from starting up.

Brian Davis

I didn't try this on my Mac, but it should work. Maybe the arguments are a little different between POSIX and FreeBSD. Should kill all processes with "synergy" in the name.

ps aux | grep "synergy" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | xargs -I {} sudo kill {}

To kill/stop the processes, I used the following command:

$ launchctl kill SIGTERM gui/<uid>/com.symless.synergy.v2.synergyd

To get the corresponding uid value, you can either execute "id -u <username>" or get the value from something like "ps -ef | grep synergy" (1st column).

To restart the processes without restarting or logging out and back in again, the following command seems to work:

$ launchctl kickstart -p gui/<uid>/com.symless.synergy.v2.synergyd

• Like 1

Not only could not stop the processes in activity monitor or command line, but also could not restart GUI application.  Trying reboot.  OS X 10.11.4

Joining the chorus for this bad first experience.

Trying on Linux / Mac.

Mac install "seemed" to go well, but there's no icon in application bar, nor anything in menu bar. No way to control the processes that are running and keep restarting themselves when I try to "kill -9" them.

Also no visibly easy "uninstaller". (It won't drag to trash while running.)

Especially for a beta, there should be a clean way to fully remove the code.

It's a shame to see this, when v1 has been so useful.

GranPaSmurf

Hang in there beta testers, your comments have been heard. Beta 5 is expected to drop soon. Meantime, lots of us have dropped back to the stable version 1.

I just want to stop it and uninstall it from my mac entirely, but I have no idea how to kill it.  It keeps restarting itself faster than I can uninstall it.

This command is great. BTW I have two Macs connected to my PC and I found that I had to execute the command on both Macs, then restart Synergy service on the PC in order for it to start working again. Running the command on just one Mac wasn't enough.