Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2 beta 4 - worked *after* prompt opened - screen lag with UI open

Houston Haynes

FYI - I was about to generate a log and send in my report for Synergy 2 *not* working - and when opened the console prompt on each client app of my two machines, things *suddenly* started working. So - there's that - perhaps this is a known issue...

Also - I noticed that there's not option to change logging level(s), and here definitely seemed to be a lag/jump in screen transition/switching as the mouse was moved from edge to edge. When I closed the client UI on both machine and moved the mouse from screen to screen then the issue seemed to either go away completely or become so slight that I couldn't notice with the naked eye. It "felt" like a logging thread priority issue. 

While I'm here - I'd like to officially register my distaste for the idea of disabling my firewall to get the product to work. I'm happy to open ports and do other careful under-the-hood handling - but dropping my PC "drawers" just to move my mouse from machine to machine seems a bit drastic.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the experience! Cheers!

Houston Haynes

So to follow up - the behavior is *really* spotty. Here are some notes.

When moving mouse pointer (that's attached to laptop A) from laptop A to laptop B and then start typing on laptop B's keyboard, the pointer context is lost and it "snaps" back to laptop A.

There are times when the mouse pointer will behave as though it has moved (as expected) to laptop B, but then the cursor doesn't appear on laptop B, and no actions with the mouse can be seen to affect anything on laptop B's desktop. And scrolling back to laptop A seems to have the same distance/mechanics and the cursor returns to laptop A as expect with all mouse actions/behaviors acting as expected.

On occasions when the mouse cursor on laptop A gets "stuck" on the edge as I attempt to move it to laptop B, I can open the Synergy 2.0 client and open the console window (by using ~) and suddenly everything works again (with the commensurate deluge of console updates showing the refresh of context between screens).

And finally - even when both Synergy 2.0 clients are open *with* the console open on each machine, the cursor will still sometimes "bump" against the edge of laptop A's screen several times before it finally transitions over to the screen of laptop B. This behavior is intermittent - perhaps related to network context being suspended when the machine clamshells are shut when I leave for lunch (and have to log back into them after I re-open to continue working)

Edited by Houston Haynes
final note on intermittent behavior
Houston Haynes

This morning seeing lots of mouse pointer "stealing" from machine B *back* to machine A as soon as I start typing on the keyboard on machine B. Re-opening the Synergy UI on machine A re-syncs an allows the mouse pointer to again move over to machine B. Sometimes it requires an additional on-click on the Synergy client UI on machine A (with the debug terminal open) to refresh the connection between machines, which allows the mouse pointer to again shift form machine to machine - only to be interrupted as soon as I start typing on machine B's keyboard. This is annoying to the point of being unusable.

• 3 weeks later...