Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Network restrictions or preferences

TheMasterGeek

Is there currently, or will there be, a way to restrict or set preference on which networks may be used for communication between hosts?  Perhaps even setting primary and secondary/failover network preference?

In my setup for example, I have multiple systems all running VMWare workstation or VMware Fusion.  Two of the systems are laptops that are normally docked, but usually have wifi enabled so they can be picked up for roaming. 

Every system always has multiple IP addresses from several different subnets and vlans.

Some of the IP addresses are duplicated between hosts as they are on virtual adapters that are only for host to VM communication.  As one example, 192.168.181.1 is going to be on every host I use.

Communication between wireless clients is prohibited by the WLAN AP's and Controllers.  Connections between wired clients, or between wired and wireless, are permitted.

Since it is known that certain networks cannot be used, is there anything that can be set to tell the services to ignore them?  Does it potentially cause any issues for the service if the systems are all communicating their IP lists to each other and there are conflicts due to the collisions of the IPs used on the hosts for their private internal networks?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 03/10/2017 at 7:31 PM, TheMasterGeek said:

Is there currently, or will there be, a way to restrict or set preference on which networks may be used for communication between hosts?  Perhaps even setting primary and secondary/failover network preference?

In my setup for example, I have multiple systems all running VMWare workstation or VMware Fusion.  Two of the systems are laptops that are normally docked, but usually have wifi enabled so they can be picked up for roaming. 

Every system always has multiple IP addresses from several different subnets and vlans.

Some of the IP addresses are duplicated between hosts as they are on virtual adapters that are only for host to VM communication.  As one example, 192.168.181.1 is going to be on every host I use.

Communication between wireless clients is prohibited by the WLAN AP's and Controllers.  Connections between wired clients, or between wired and wireless, are permitted.

Since it is known that certain networks cannot be used, is there anything that can be set to tell the services to ignore them?  Does it potentially cause any issues for the service if the systems are all communicating their IP lists to each other and there are conflicts due to the collisions of the IPs used on the hosts for their private internal networks?

Yes, we'll be adding this feature. Probably in 2.1 (due Q1 next year).