Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Feedback after a couple days of successful use

When I first installed Synergy2 on a very simple configuration (2 home desktops on the same network) it did not work. I followed the troubleshooting guide and did get it to work - the key difference, I believe, was turning the windows firewall off (which I did not mind doing in this particular configuration because I'm already behind a router firewall).

It ran for a few hours and then failed and no matter what I tried I could not get it to work. I turned off firewalls, I  restarted and rebooted, and finally gave up in frustration.

A few days later I gave it one more chance and started digging into the log output and noticed a wrong IP address for one of the machines which led to an aha moment. The two machines had a slightly different setup in that one has static address assigned in the router's DHCP's server and the other machine used a dynamic address assigned by DHCP. What I believe had happened is that after the first few hours of successful use, the machine using a dynamic address lost its lease and changed IP addresses. After that I could not get it to work even after reboots, etc.

I assigned a static address in the router to the machine that had not been using one, restarted both systems and everything worked again. What I find odd though, is that the static address I assigned was in a different range than the the dynamic addresses, so it was yet another new IP address and Synergy was able to deal with the IP address change. So why did it not work when it was getting a new IP from the DHCP server?

Anyway, since then it has been running well with one exception:

Whenever windows 10.0 installs an update it seems to turn my windows firewall back on  (which is truly annoying) and that breaks Synergy. I have to turn off the firewall on the machine that had it turned on, and restart synergy on the other machine. It would be very handy if Synergy could install the necessary firewall exceptions so that it would work with the windows firewall on.

1 hour ago, TO99 said:

Whenever windows 10.0 installs an update it seems to turn my windows firewall back on  (which is truly annoying) and that breaks Synergy. I have to turn off the firewall on the machine that had it turned on, and restart synergy on the other machine. It would be very handy if Synergy could install the necessary firewall exceptions so that it would work with the windows firewall on.

Firewall bypass would be one thing planned. Currently beta 4 has a bug with the ports it utilizes. This is absolutely to be corrected in beta 5 and lends itself to the instability of the beta 4 and its connections at present. Beta 5 will have set ports used so that firewall opening will be more easily facilitated.