Onoitsu2

Hotkeys used in Synergy 2

42 posts in this topic

Good post! When we add a settings screen, these will be customizable.

5 hours ago, Onoitsu2 said:

Show logs: ~ (tilde), Alt+Tilde, Ctrl+Tilde

FYI, this will be somewhat obsolete in beta5 (since we're moving the "Send logs" context menu).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on a 2017 iMac. I can supplement some Mac things here. #ModeratorTeaming

For most of this, just replace "Ctrl" with "Cmd", and you'll be mostly good to go. On a Mac, however, you add Fn+F12, I believe, due to the "F12" being already mapped to a function in macOS (volume up).

Also, I don't think F12 makes the system used a server. I think it simply reestablishes the connection. That's at least what I got from the actual troubleshooting guide itself, as it doesn't mention that the system that presses F12 has to be the server in the beta4 troubleshooting guide.

Edited by Kelvin Tran
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Also, I don't think F12 makes the system used a server. I think it simply reestablishes the connection. That's at least what I got from the actual troubleshooting guide itself, as it doesn't mention that the system that presses F12 has to be the server in the beta4 troubleshooting guide.

When you look into the log terminal, and press F12, it explicitly states something like "[ Config ] [DATE AND TIMESTAMP] DEBUG: forcing current computer to be server"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Onoitsu2 said:

When you look into the log terminal, and press F12, it explicitly states something like "[ Config ] [DATE AND TIMESTAMP] DEBUG: forcing current computer to be server"

Really? Interesting. I'll go download Synergy 2 and test it out, but that may just mean the troubleshooting guide is worded poorly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

the troubleshooting guide is worded poorly.

Likely true.

10 hours ago, Onoitsu2 said:

I think it simply reestablishes the connection.

You could be forgiven for thinking so. As beta4 is not very reliable and the error feedback system is completely broken, it's hard for the user to know if F12 works at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nick Bolton That is exactly why I skipped beta4. Is F12 intended to be used to force the connection to be a server device or is it supposed to force the cloud to rediscover the peers in that connection? (Yes, I know, I'm not wording it the best, but it's 3 in the morning over here at the moment)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Is F12 intended to be used to force the connection to be a server device or is it supposed to force the cloud to rediscover the peers in that connection?

It was originally added purely for dev testing but managed to work its way into the public domain. It's meant to force the computer into server mode, but it only works if it's not already in server mode. So it only works sometimes because if it already thinks it's in server mode, nothing happens.

Basically, F12 isn't an actual feature, so it's not very intuitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

It was originally added purely for dev testing but managed to work its way into the public domain. It's meant to force the computer into server mode, but it only works if it's not already in server mode. So it only works sometimes because if it already thinks it's in server mode, nothing happens.

Basically, F12 isn't an actual feature, so it's not very intuitive.

Then what's the plan for the final release for specifically delegating a computer to server duty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kelvin Tran said:

Then what's the plan for the final release for specifically delegating a computer to server duty?

It'll be automatically determined based on mouse and keyboard activity. As far as configuration is concerned, there will be no server as such. We may add an advanced setting so you can force a particular machine to always share, but this is for edge cases and will probably not be added until 2.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does version 2 fixes, the "AltGr" issue. There a problems with 

Server: Linux

Client: Win10

Works partial (via       altgr = shift, or altgr = none ), i.e. via cmd and windows, but not within putty and wsl (bash on win10).

 

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Martin

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the new version 2 beta 4, why there is no option when you right-click the computer image? and only accessible through a shortcut?

Edited by televisi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, televisi said:

With the new version 2 beta 4, why there is no option when you right-click the computer image? and only accessible through a shortcut?

its a beta, its not feature rich. if this works you could easily implement a right-click way of doing it, but  there are more important things in a beta then a tiny feature

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Beta 4 as pretty useless except to see the new interface, which in practice is hidden anyway.  My concern is that I use a mac as the server.  I like the  functionality of forcing it into Server mode.  I already have issues with my Win 10 machine wanting to do its own thing and forgetting the server.  It is a cool idea to determine server by keyboard activity, but if something goes wrong??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nick Bolton My windows 8.1 PC can see my windows 10 PC, and my windows 10 PC can only see itself. Are there any hotkeys that can solve this or is there anything I can do, using synergy beta-4. I have tried f12 numerous times and nothing changes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rhyston_007 said:

@Nick Bolton My windows 8.1 PC can see my windows 10 PC, and my windows 10 PC can only see itself. Are there any hotkeys that can solve this or is there anything I can do, using synergy beta-4. I have tried f12 numerous times and nothing changes. 

maybe try restarting your PCs a couple of times, but thats about it.

wait for beta5 due oct 20+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29.9.2017 at 3:38 PM, Nick Bolton said:

It'll be automatically determined based on mouse and keyboard activity. As far as configuration is concerned, there will be no server as such. We may add an advanced setting so you can force a particular machine to always share, but this is for edge cases and will probably not be added until 2.1.

@Nick Bolton, wait, how does Synergy2 work then? How is the connection made, what ports are used, is any of it configurable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the new interface and auto-configuration for no experienced users, but I would also like to see some advanced settings for ports or IP addresses etc. As mentioned above, it is very tempting to right click the screen icon and hopefully see some context menu. Looking forward for Beta5.

Edited by esgaldir
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Toomas said:

@Nick Bolton, wait, how does Synergy2 work then? How is the connection made, what ports are used, is any of it configurable?

It's not hard to find that out....

59de82f5d846d_2017-10-1116_45_06-ResourceMonitor.thumb.png.317840f4575cb974d2b9e459e50a2729.png

Brians-MBP:~ brian$ sudo lsof -i -n -P | grep TCP | grep syner
synergyd  19818          brian    7u  IPv4 0x36472d5fb118ec5      0t0    TCP *:57519 (LISTEN)
synergyd  19818          brian    8u  IPv4 0x36472d60841fec5      0t0    TCP 127.0.0.1:24888 (LISTEN)
synergyd  19818          brian   11u  IPv4 0x36472d60956a2a5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57520->165.227.29.181:8081 (ESTABLISHED)
synergyd  19818          brian   12u  IPv4 0x36472d606c18ec5      0t0    TCP 127.0.0.1:57521->127.0.0.1:24888 (ESTABLISHED)
synergyd  19818          brian   13u  IPv4 0x36472d6089db495      0t0    TCP 127.0.0.1:24888->127.0.0.1:57521 (ESTABLISHED)
synergyd  19818          brian   14u  IPv4 0x36472d5fb11bb9d      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57522->10.0.0.4:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   15u  IPv4 0x36472d609cfc2a5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57523->192.168.160.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   16u  IPv4 0x36472d609544495      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57524->192.168.171.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   19u  IPv4 0x36472d60833b9ad      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51860->10.0.0.4:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   20u  IPv4 0x36472d6089d99ad      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51967->10.0.0.4:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   21u  IPv4 0x36472d6089d7ec5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51861->192.168.160.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   23u  IPv4 0x36472d6084219ad      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51862->192.168.171.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   24u  IPv4 0x36472d608ddc495      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57883->10.0.0.4:24810 (ESTABLISHED)
synergyd  19818          brian   25u  IPv4 0x36472d608339ec5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51968->192.168.160.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   26u  IPv4 0x36472d6086a49ad      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51969->192.168.171.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   28u  IPv4 0x36472d608c16ec5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57884->192.168.160.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyd  19818          brian   29u  IPv4 0x36472d609b7fb9d      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57885->192.168.171.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian    0u  IPv4 0x36472d6086a52a5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57891->10.0.0.4:24800 (ESTABLISHED)
synergyc  21279          brian    7u  IPv4 0x36472d5fb118ec5      0t0    TCP *:57519 (LISTEN)
synergyc  21279          brian    8u  IPv4 0x36472d60841fec5      0t0    TCP 127.0.0.1:24888 (LISTEN)
synergyc  21279          brian   11u  IPv4 0x36472d60956a2a5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57520->165.227.29.181:8081 (ESTABLISHED)
synergyc  21279          brian   12u  IPv4 0x36472d606c18ec5      0t0    TCP 127.0.0.1:57521->127.0.0.1:24888 (ESTABLISHED)
synergyc  21279          brian   13u  IPv4 0x36472d6089db495      0t0    TCP 127.0.0.1:24888->127.0.0.1:57521 (ESTABLISHED)
synergyc  21279          brian   14u  IPv4 0x36472d5fb11bb9d      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57522->10.0.0.4:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   15u  IPv4 0x36472d609cfc2a5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57523->192.168.160.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   16u  IPv4 0x36472d609544495      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57524->192.168.171.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   19u  IPv4 0x36472d60833b9ad      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51860->10.0.0.4:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   20u  IPv4 0x36472d6089d99ad      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51967->10.0.0.4:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   21u  IPv4 0x36472d6089d7ec5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51861->192.168.160.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   23u  IPv4 0x36472d6084219ad      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51862->192.168.171.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   24u  IPv4 0x36472d608ddc495      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57883->10.0.0.4:24810 (ESTABLISHED)
synergyc  21279          brian   25u  IPv4 0x36472d608339ec5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51968->192.168.160.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   26u  IPv4 0x36472d6086a49ad      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:51969->192.168.171.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   28u  IPv4 0x36472d608c16ec5      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57884->192.168.160.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   29u  IPv4 0x36472d609b7fb9d      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57885->192.168.171.1:24810 (CLOSED)
synergyc  21279          brian   30u  IPv4 0x36472d62584a7bd      0t0    TCP 10.0.0.102:57890->138.68.44.148:443 (CLOSE_WAIT)

 

 

If I had to guess, it reaches out to call home to verify a license exists, then tries to see what other nodes are available besides itself, then pulls down those IP's that the other node reported, and tries to connect to them over the LAN?

Edited by Brian Davis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tilde is a bad key on international Mac Keyboard layouts :/

Currently beta4 on Mac OS High Sierra + Fedora 27 only sees them selves hence nobody connects to nobody... useless.

Even tilde on fedora keyboard does nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

F12 is a bad key to use under Ubuntu Mate as it brings up a drop-down terminal at the OS level :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AGuyNamedRyan said:

F12 is a bad key to use under Ubuntu Mate as it brings up a drop-down terminal at the OS level :-(

haha, never even thought about that.

I hope you'll be able to change the hotkeys(and add new ones of course) to wathever you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am using Beta 4 on Windows 10 and I am not able to use any hotkeys. Tried any combinations as listed in the first post on different computers.

Any solutions? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I am using (trying to use) Synergy 2 Beta 4 on 2 windows 10 PC and a win 7 but I cant make it work.

The windows on both devices show me the same things (my 3 pc) all are grey and I can't move my mouse from one to another.

On the server pc I have hit F12, I can see in the log that it has been saved.

I have added permission in my firewall for synergy.exe

https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2017-10-13/975-2017-10-13T14-56-57.log

Edited by Tech49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now