Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Beta 4 Feedback from Long time Synergy 1 user

I have used Synergy for a very long time, from the point where it was even the open source versions initially. Have come to love the version 1, cannot wait for version 2 to be complete. Just purchased it early the moment I saw that in my inbox offering it.

Some key things that need to be adjusted or when extra features are being added back in:

Ability to use a keyboard on one system and mouse on the other. I have a 4 screen setup between 2 systems (2 each) and one has a really high performance USB keyboard, the other has a USB basic keyboard and performance mouse (host). I have it hosted this way, as on my keyboard only computer I use the keyboard for most tasks, and on the host, the mouse works both computers. However if I am uploading or downloading a large file on the host, the mouse cursor lags on the secondary (single keyboard system). This is not an issue in Synergy 1, as I can use it in this configuration. However with Synergy 2 it automatically captures the high performance keyboard and then disables the host's mouse. Definitely could use the ability to set certain USB devices as priority for use or ability to select if only mouse or only keyboard is captured and broadcast across systems. This configuration has aided me in my chat technical support at home position, as I can use the high performance keyboard for speaking with customers, and a single mouse to work my personal computer for extra research to be done upon. Heck, you could potentially down the line add extra USB device support over networks, like many of the existing softwares out there. Using a game controller as an input device for a remote computer would be a pretty sweet achievement to pull off for your software. And who knows, capturing only certain USB devices and their inputs may be the ideal way to support special buttons and hotkeys across all systems in use.

I know it may be a back asswards way of looking at using Synergy, but it worked AMAZINGLY WELL, only having to have a keyboard on that work computer gave me the much needed extra desk space. If we could get the QoS for Synergy to behave better when moving large files  on the host via SMB or even downloading a torrent of an operating system for example as is the usual large thing I am downloading, so it does not lag, then that would negate my need for 2 keyboards overall even.

Compliments again on how simple the Beta of version 2 was to get connected. Took like 20 minutes to get ports figured out with v1. Took about 2 minutes with v2.

-Onoitsu2

Edited by Onoitsu2
  • Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 20/09/2017 at 10:41 PM, Onoitsu2 said:

Took like 20 minutes to get ports figured out with v1. Took about 2 minutes with v2.

Great to hear!

On 20/09/2017 at 10:41 PM, Onoitsu2 said:

If we could get the QoS for Synergy to behave better when moving large files

This is something we plan to do.

• Like 1