Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

FAQ Available on using Synergy 2.0.0-beta4?

Hi,

I've installed the beta version on my windows (server) and mac (client) and I've a little lost - as seems to be my interface.  Granted, the server and client seem to be aware of each other other's existence as boxes in a blue back drop, but how do I configure client and server now?  Literally, what do I do?

Thanks,

Tara

• Like 1

Hi Jmwarren - I've had issues with the keyboard shortcuts and windows/ apple special keys in the past but it seems to be getting better, but I really am at a loss this time and I feel I must be just ignorant, I mean - How do I configure anything?  Is the product meant to be auto-detecting and configuring now?  

I was looking for release notes to tell me what the differences were just I've not found them :(I may just take your advice.

• Like 1

I'm also having issues. I just purchased and installed it on my Surface Book (W10 Pro) and my work desktop (W7 Enterprise).

They both see each other but I have no interaction. It shows the W7 Enterprise as green while the Surface Book W10 is not showing green so potentially that's the issue?

I understand the interface is going for simplicity but maybe add an expert option for people who were used to the previous settings of Synergy 1?

• Like 1

I installed Synergy 2 beta 4 over Synergy 1.8.8.  Synergy 2 detects my main machine and laptop and is using the main machine as the server, but there is no tray icon and I'm confused as to how you set which machine is the server.  Is Synergy 2 working because it took my configs from Synergy 1.8.8?

• 3 weeks later...

Quite frankly, the silence has been deafening.  No an iota of response from the developers. I've downgraded to the previous release as the beta is utterly unusable.  Obviously I suspect there's a particular direction the developers want the product for go in but without any release notes, how are we supposed to know what the hell to do with it?  I just don't understand how we're supposed to use it.

Hi Peter,

thanks for that, I'll test it out.  I use 3 different platforms, CentOS Linux, Mac and Windows 10 all on the same desk, so Synergy was a god-send as previously I was implementing an X-windows server on each platform which was  ridiculous overhead to just get mouse and keyboard sharing.

GranPaSmurf

Tara, please forgive the delay. I only saw it by running through a bunch of old listings...no excuse. Yes, this beta 4 is likely to be unusable for your setup right now. Beta 4 hates all Linux distros and has only a distant cousin relationship with most MAC machines. But some of the more savvy users have managed to make it work. A few of us have stepped back to version 1 to have Synergy working on our Linux box and are watching for beta 5 which we've been assured is going to work on Linux systems.

As to the sparsity of information or adjustments on beta 4, that's more or less the direction of Synergy 2. The goal is that the technically challenged will install the program on 2 or more computers that are on their home network and discover they are linked together. Synergy 2 will have made an initial Cloud connection to read ID particulars to create the configuration, then show you a GUI so you can move your monitor screens around. That should be all the interaction required by the final product.( I'm told there will be a page for the 'nerd-code' that means something to you guys). Obviously, Synergy is not there yet. Hence beta testing. If you have to back down to version 1 until beta 5 arrives, you are still in the beta testing program, so pick it up then. (me too) . If the whole thing makes you just want to throw up your hands, they are generous and prompt with refunds - [email protected]

Meantime another moderator, Kelvin Tran, is a wizard on MAC and Linux. Read over his troubleshooting guide:

https://symless.com/forums/topic/4167-prelimi

Again, please forgive us for losing you.

• Like 1

Hi KringleKrebs

I'm a big fan of Synergy so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, but is the current direction just to make it easier to setup (for the technically challenged as you put it)?  Is there going to any major added functionality?  I'm surprised the current beta is breaking linux/mac/windows intra-compatibility - I've had a few keyboard/ character recognition/ mismatch issues in the past but they're out of the way.

T

GranPaSmurf

Being really old and really intimidated by all the technical whiz-kids around, I am king of the technically challenged. I guess I put my foot in my keyboard again...

I'm not sure I've seen an official version 2 feature list. I've read Nick's posts about reliable drag and drop of files, robust connection across diverse platforms, reading and displaying monitor size/shape in the UI. hot corners... What new features would you like to see?

26 minutes ago, Tara Ram said:

Hi KringleKrebs

I'm a big fan of Synergy so I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, but is the current direction just to make it easier to setup (for the technically challenged as you put it)?  Is there going to any major added functionality?  I'm surprised the current beta is breaking linux/mac/windows intra-compatibility - I've had a few keyboard/ character recognition/ mismatch issues in the past but they're out of the way.

T

You are surprised...imagine how the developers began to feel a few days after the release of beta 4. In fact, beta 3 worked a lot better for me. but we are anxiously waiting for beta 5. rumor mill says this week...it also says this month... so anxiously waiting.

Sverre Rakkenes

I just installed 2.0.0-beta4 on a linux mint and a windows 10 box, they can not see each other at all, the box on the linux machine is black (assumes that this is the problem) and the box on the windows box is green (which I assume is a good sign). if you have any hints how to proceed that would be nice... 

GranPaSmurf

Sverre, So your Win instance is connecting but the Mint install is not. The beta 4 testing release seems to work OK for most Windows systems but really doesn't like Linux distros. But there are those Power-Users that have made it work. Go to this guide and work through it. https://symless.com/synergy-2-beta4-troubleshooting The beta 5 is due to drop soon and has been rebuilt to work better on Linux. We are anxiously awaiting.

Let us know your progress. 

Sverre Rakkenes

I followed the troubleshooting guide, and that helped a bit, I can now see the other party on both sides, so there is some traffic, but on the windows box it is green (I can see the green box also on the linux pc), but the linux pc has a "bar" that is loading on .. forever. (and I can see the same on the windows box).

I see this in the log

[2017-10-11T09:31:09] debug: tcp client connect error: Connection timed out
[2017-10-11T09:31:09] debug: connectivity test failed for 192.168.19.98:24810
TX message (103 octets) ...
TX message: publish [103, {}, "synergy.service.log", ["[2017-10-11T09:31:09] debug: tcp client connect error: Connection timed out\n"]]
TX message (105 octets) ...
TX message: publish [104, {}, "synergy.service.log", ["[2017-10-11T09:31:09] debug: connectivity test failed for 192.168.19.98:24810\n"]]
[wamp_message_processor.cpp:47][process_message] processing message: publish
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [103, {}, synergy.service.log, ["[2017-10-11T09:31:09] debug: tcp client connect error: Connection timed out\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [2, 1245985679917345, {}, ["[2017-10-11T09:31:09] debug: tcp client connect error: Connection timed out\n"], null]
[rawsocket_transport.cpp:39][send_message] sending message: event
[wamp_message_processor.cpp:47][process_message] processing message: publish
[wamp_broker.cpp:111][process_publish_message] session [7090515283965860,default,open], publish [104, {}, synergy.service.log, ["[2017-10-11T09:31:09] debug: connectivity test failed for 192.168.19.98:24810\n"], null]
[wamp_broker.cpp:149][process_publish_message] session [2257228500326156,default,open], event [2, 3934019681948516, {}, ["[2017-10-11T09:31:09] debug: connectivity test failed for 192.168.19.98:24810\n"], null]
[rawsocket_transport.cpp:39][send_message] sending message: event

(linux side)

I have tried to turn OFF the firewall on windows, but no difference

also looking forward to beta5 :-)

Sverre Rakkenes

I have now actually gotten it to work, but it is not very stable, and the old old bug about "@" on Norwegian keyboard is still the same problem as always :-(