Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Seeing "version is not supported" but download is still beta3

Just had both of my beta3 installs log out on their own.  I tried re authenticating and it says its now out of date.  I thought beta4 had been released but the download link still downloads beta3.  Anything I can check into for this?  I'm not able to use the software because of this.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Hey, we're preparing for the imminent beta4 release, which is causing some disruption. Please sit tight!

Mohammad Minaie

It's not production use, but you shouldn't be updating a beta with active users during production hours. Especially if your user base is important to the development of the final product. It makes the whole experience untidy. Even an announcement b4 hand would have been thoughtful. My assumption was an announcement would be made for downtime or w/e as any updates come through. Standard Ops processes.

I am not using Synergy 2 in production, nor would I choose to do so if downtime is an issue. However, if Symless is going to encourage me to try the Beta and provide useful feedback. I understand it is a Beta, and I accept that there will be (unintentional) bugs and missing features that could prevent me from using the software, but they should not go around willy-nilly intentionally disrupting use of the software. If it is something that cannot be avoided, then at least a notification of some sort and an estimate of the amount of downtime would be nice. It's been almost 3 hours since it stopped working for me, and I have no clue when I can use the software again. The only way for me to know is to go to get Beta download page and see if the download link has been updated to beta 4.

23 minutes ago, Mohammad Minaie said:

It's not production use, but you shouldn't be updating a beta with active users during production hours.

They're based in the UK, aren't they? It's after business hours there at the moment.

• Like 1
Mohammad Minaie
24 minutes ago, Archer said:

So no one in Europe uses Synergy at all?

Is the main user base in Europe? then sure i didn't claim the US is the main user base. Just w/e the majority of the beta user base is should be where they base their downtime hours off. Obviously they did at what would be after hours UK time.

Mohammad Minaie

Regardless of all of this and the hours of the downtime the fact that down time wasn't announced is the issue here.

Hopefully futures updates aren't so random and take the user base by surprise like this one did.

in the end Mohammad, you are right...

I was in the middle of working on multiple systems and my main host logged out and i couldn't reconnect because of the error... i had to go back to 1.8 to continue to work.

Mohammad Minaie

Wow dude, ur the one who sounds butt hurt. Having advanced notice of downtime is an expectation not a "deal with it" i hope ur systems don't operate with same attitude. 

4 minutes ago, Mohammad Minaie said:

Wow dude, ur the one who sounds butt hurt. Having advanced notice of downtime is an expectation not a "deal with it" i hope ur systems don't operate with same attitude. 

My beta systems are buyer-beware. They can go down whenever and for how ever long I need them to. Of course, just like the guys at Symless, I try to keep them up, but sometimes, unexpected stuff happens. An upgrade can go pear-shaped, and so I usually do that sort of work after-hours (after my work hours) when I can.

I don't expect a SLA for a $5 beta. I'm happy when it works.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, swaziloo said:

Complaining that a software beta went offline, even without warning, just makes you look whiny. Play around with Synergy2 when you can to provide feedback on how it is/isn't working. Don't rely on it.

By that logic, we shouldn't report bugs because it's beta and just makes us look whiny. Feedback is what Symless wanted... well, that's what this is in all its glory. I hope they will take the feedback and adjust appropriately for beta 5.