Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Release date for beta4 (background service and 504 fix)

• Nick Bolton unpinned this topic
  • Nick Bolton pinned, unfeatured, featured and unfeatured this topic

Thanks for the update. The background service is the main thing I'm waiting for before I try it further so I'm looking forward to this release.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 8/31/2017 at 6:44 PM, Shadowion said:

Does the Synergy Team have a public Road Map?

Actually no, we keep it private because it's very fluid. How come you want to see one?

jaap aarts
4 hours ago, Miley said:

I would also like to see a public roadmap, it would give me more insight on the features that are coming and let me know what you guys are currently working on.

I just read in a different topic that proper multi monitor support has been pushed back to 2.1 and that is a feature I would like to see implemented in Synergy, information like that could become more accessible if it were in a public roadmap. Also, the roadmap doesn't have to be definitive, you could also say we're working on these tasks for the next quarter but provide no order in them since that's quite fluid.

the roadmap doesnt even have to be in years, it could just be in a relative distance form each other.

this way we can see whats far far away and what might be comming sooner without having expectations.

GranPaSmurf

I disagree. 

Publishing a planed roadmap gives everyone license to try to change it. Ultimately the developers try to please everyone end up pleasing no one. 

Perhaps there is a way to post a "feature wanted" list with the ability to 'up-or-down-vote' by forum members. Ie. product users. 

That way developers wouldn't have to feel forced into leaving code packets less than optimal because they are committed to getting some other new features out the door. 

On 9/4/2017 at 7:37 AM, Nick Bolton said:

Actually no, we keep it private because it's very fluid. How come you want to see one?

Personally I would love to see one because I would know what's ahead and what to expect from the team. It's always a good thing to keep us informed of future updates or ideas.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, KringleKrebs said:

I disagree. 

Publishing a planed roadmap gives everyone license to try to change it. Ultimately the developers try to please everyone end up pleasing no one. 

Perhaps there is a way to post a "feature wanted" list with the ability to 'up-or-down-vote' by forum members. Ie. product users. 

That way developers wouldn't have to feel forced into leaving code packets less than optimal because they are committed to getting some other new features out the door. 

The whole purpose of a road map is to inform not to please others. Also to collect community feed back if they wish.

Nick,

Now that Beta 3 has stopped working, is there a chance we could get a Beta 3.1 (or call it what you like) that allows us to keep using Synergy while those finishing touches are wrapped up?

• Like 1
  • LIkewise....this happened last time as well and thought anyone would have learned from that lesson.  Very simple, ensure the next version is available and the links work prior to deactivating current version and leaving ppl hanging.
55 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Sorry for the delay guys, beta4 is a matter of hours away. Thanks for being patient.

Thinking about the future, is there a way to make sure the beta4 cutover happens after the upcoming beta5 is released? The whole betaX can't be used, betaY is not yet released...is annoying, even for a beta. :) 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

I dont see how people can complain about a beta  not working hours before the next version.

its not like they are actually going to implement any new suggestions anymore, and its beta software, outages should be expected anyways.

Now that's just absurd. People like working software, be it beta or not. They may be more understanding of glitches in beta software, but if the software becomes completely unusable, it's reasonable they'd complain.

I don't mean this to speak ill of the Symless team, and I appreciate their efforts to wrap up Beta 4, but if you really "don't see how people can complain," perhaps your eyes need opening.

3 minutes ago, jimothy said:

Now that's just absurd. People like working software, be it beta or not. They may be more understanding of glitches in beta software, but if the software becomes completely unusable, it's reasonable they'd complain.

I don't mean this to speak ill of the Symless team, and I appreciate their efforts to wrap up Beta 4, but if you really "don't see how people can complain," perhaps your eyes need opening.

people shouldn't complain about the beta being "out of date" when they are working on bringing a new one out in a couple of hours.

the team should work on getting this fixed for the next release but you shouldn't complain about a beta not working, sure add a forum post/topic to make sure the team knows that something is wrong an they'll try to fix it.

it has been a while since they said that it would be done soon, and it has been 13 days late already. and maybe they could roll back to the old servers and update link.

if you download a beta you shouldnt expect it to work, or rely on it for anything.

there also is a refund for who doesnt accept bugs or you can downgrade whenever you want, if you do rely on synergy to work.

I might have been to hard on saying "I dont understand how people can complain about a beta", but I think that in order to complain about a beta something worse has to happen then "o look, the update doesnt work."

• Like 1
GranPaSmurf

I really like Synergy; I've used it for years. I've had nothing but great experiences with support and updates. I think of Synergy as family:

HOWEVER,

This morning's glitch is not a glitch in a software program, to be expected in a beta version. The current glitch is a management problem. Someone coded the current version to end yesterday while someone else didn't have the next version ready to download. Whoever these someones are, they didn't communicate.

Worse than just the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing, this interruption has happened before. The same situation. That makes today's interruption both predictable and preventable. Avoidable.

I love you guys, but you can do better.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Good news everyone! Synergy 2 beta4 is now live. If you need help, please open a new thread. Enjoy!

• Nick Bolton locked and unpinned this topic