Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Multi-monitor configuration feature request

Daniel Garcia

On my setup at home, I have 3 monitors on my main machine - a 5k iMac, with a 27" dell in portrait mode to the right of it, and a 21" dell touch screen below.  I also have a couple of laptops that are generally on the table level with the 21" touch screen.  

Right now, when I have synergy configured with the laptop to the left of the iMac, it's only the left hand side of the iMac's display that will transport to the laptop - I'd rather have the border be the left hand side of the lower monitor since, visually, it is inline with the laptop.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to arrange, not at a machine level, but at a monitor level.  I have a second laptop that often sits below the 27" dell and to the right of the 21" touch screen - being able to tell synergy that "going down from the 27" dell goes to the top of my second laptop from the top, and going right from the 21" touchscreen goes to the second laptop from the side" would be useful.

(Of course, at the moment, i'd settle for the synergy2 client on my laptop to not be crashing constantly- but i'll open a separate topic for that one) 

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Individual screen resolution and arrangement was something we initially planned for version 2.0, but it's been pushed back to version 2.1 now.

• 1 month later...

I am desperate for this feature as well.  I have 5 monitors across 2 computers that do not form a perfect rectangle and it's always a headache where my mouse ends up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 10/6/2017 at 6:43 PM, pat9000 said:

I am desperate for this feature as well.  I have 5 monitors across 2 computers that do not form a perfect rectangle and it's always a headache where my mouse ends up.

Ah, you want to move the screens around independently?

I did a bit of testing on my system where I have a machine with two 1920x1080 monitors side by side and a laptop with the same resolution. In addition I have a machine to the left of the first machine, at 1680x1050 resolution. I tried positioning the laptop below the two-monitor machine, and the result is that the entire width of the main monitor of the dual-monitor machine went to about the middle half of the monitor of the laptop. See attached image for better visual explanation.

What would be nice is if I could tell Synergy where I want my laptop to be positioned in relation to each monitor, and not just in relation to the machines.

Synergy2-monitors.png

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
7 hours ago, Hallonen said:

I did a bit of testing on my system where I have a machine with two 1920x1080 monitors side by side and a laptop with the same resolution. In addition I have a machine to the left of the first machine, at 1680x1050 resolution. I tried positioning the laptop below the two-monitor machine, and the result is that the entire width of the main monitor of the dual-monitor machine went to about the middle half of the monitor of the laptop. See attached image for better visual explanation.

What would be nice is if I could tell Synergy where I want my laptop to be positioned in relation to each monitor, and not just in relation to the machines.

Synergy2-monitors.png

This is a feature we're planning for 2.1 (due Q1 next year).

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

Ah, you want to move the screens around independently?

Thanks for replying!!!! I think Hallonen explained it nicely.  I just want to be able to specifically state where each monitor is. I have two monitors on top row, three on bottom, it doesn't form a perfect rectangle, and as shown in Hallonen image, it's like synergy is using percentages to map between the top and bottom row, so whenever I move my mouse across that boundary, it jumps widely to some other location and it's always a brief chore to find/realign with where it ended up.

Flip Hallonen's image upside down, add another monitor to the upper left, make then all 2560x1440 except for the middle top with is 1920x1080, and that's what I have.  It would be nice is if I move from one monitor to another, and there's another exact monitor lined up right there, the mouse shouldn't jump.  If I try to move and it's outside some boundary, then in the case, sure jump to the closest edge.

For example, in Hallonen's image, if I drop my mouse off the bottom left edge of the Machine 1 Main Monitor, I would expect to be at the top left edge of the laptop.  If I drop my mouse off the bottom of either of the two top outer monitors, then in that case, the mouse should jump over to the closest edge of the laptop monitor.

Hopefully I am making sense.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
3 minutes ago, pat9000 said:

Hopefully I am making sense.

Yeah, it's a feature we'd love to see implemented. I'm hoping to see this around mid to late next year.