Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Security Question

Chris Boerma
Just upgraded to the Basic after previously using older free versions. I'm a little disappointed to see there's no built in password setup on the Basic. Does this mean that everything is being sent in the clear between computers? I don't mind paying the $10 for the software... it's worth that. But $20 more just to add encryption seems kinda steep. Am I correct in thinking that there's no encryption in the basic?
Martin McDermid
It could be worse. I was using the paid version before they had basic/pro, and it had encryption. I just "upgraded" my app, and lost encryption.
Michael Brown
The "encryption" in previous versions of Synergy is laughable at best (sorry guys, it's the truth - https://defuse.ca/cracking-synergy-bad-cryptography.htm). SSL/TLS encryption is doing it right but unfortunately they've moved that up a tier (some would argue encryption should be free, but that's a topic for another time). For those of us who had paid for Synergy before this (or donated back in the day) we received an email this morning saying we could upgrade to Pro for free since we supported them early on. I appreciate this move, especially since I was so upset about having the feature taken away. There are instructions for using an ssh tunnel (though really only ideal if one of your systems is *nix/OS X and has an SSH server installed) on the wiki.
Chris Boerma
Anyone go through the email process and get upgraded? I filled out the form but I don't seem to have been upgraded yet. Tried re-running the wizard but the SSL option is still greyed out.
Michael Brown
I'm not sure if we have to wait for word or if it should just be an automatic thing once we respond to the survey. I've run through the wizard every day since submitting with no change.
speaker
We're sorry about the delay in the upgrade process. The requests are being processed and should be showing up in the coming days.