Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Source code for Linux

Hello everyone.

I fully intended on using the 2.0 Beta however, I need the tarball source to install on a non readhat/ubuntu linux distro (Solus to be specific).  The Tarball source isnt on the download page for 2.0 like it is for 1.8.  Does anyone know if it will be available soon?

Thanks,

Mr H

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Synergy 2 is partially closed source, so there will be no tarball that includes the new user interface. Our master branch on GitHub is where you'll find the Synergy 2 open source component (which we're calling Synergy Core). Here's the ZIP...

https://github.com/symless/synergy/archive/master.zip

From there you'll need instructions to compile, configure, and run from the command line.

• Like 1
  • Nick Bolton featured, pinned and unfeatured this topic

Thanks, that makes sense.

Since I will be using it as a client I won't really need the interface anyway. Besides, it's pretty easy to make a CLI only program run at boot.  Being part closed source, would you be willing to work with a Linux distribution to provide a .eopkg package? .eopkg is the equivalent of a .deb package.  Solus was built from the ground up and they have been working a lot on what they have available in their repositories.

Thanks.

----

Heres a link to their packaging articles in case you're willing to take a look. https://solus-project.com/articles/packaging/

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
5 hours ago, MR H said:

Since I will be using it as a client I won't really need the interface anyway. Besides, it's pretty easy to make a CLI only program run at boot.

Yeah, we figured that most Linux users who want to compile from source would also be happy using the open source CLI. Would you say this assumption is correct?

6 hours ago, MR H said:

Being part closed source, would you be willing to work with a Linux distribution to provide a .eopkg package?

Yes! Absolutely. Working with Linux distributions is very important to us.

• Like 1
jaap aarts

for arch users use deptap, for missing files look to which package they belong to>install that package.

and you could try manually putting the files in the correct place, I don't know if this works on solus but you could try.

I am looking forward to an easy install on most Linux distros but I totally understand that maintaining all of them is to much work for a beta.

• Like 1

I do have to appreciate your activity in your forums, most CEOs don't post in their forums.  In fact the only other CEO I've seen this active is Ikey, the CEO/Founder of Solus Linux. 

• Like 1
jaap aarts
20 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

We're comitted to making it work for our Linux users. It's really important to us. Thanks for the advice, we'll give it a shot!

Ive added the pkgbuild for arch to the AUR, ill try to keep it up to date until an official package exists.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/synergy2-bin/

ATM I dont think you should be worrying about distro support, covering a tiny minority shouldnt be a thing in the beta.

having linux support in the beta is outstanding on its own.

• Nick Bolton featured and unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
ScrewAttackThis
On 8/16/2017 at 2:40 AM, Nick Bolton said:

Synergy 2 is partially closed source, so there will be no tarball that includes the new user interface. Our master branch on GitHub is where you'll find the Synergy 2 open source component (which we're calling Synergy Core). Here's the ZIP...

https://github.com/symless/synergy/archive/master.zip

From there you'll need instructions to compile, configure, and run from the command line.

I know this is a slightly old post so sorry for digging it up.

Why did you guys decide not to fully open source 2.0?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
6 hours ago, ScrewAttackThis said:

Why did you guys decide not to fully open source 2.0?

Good question. It's mostly for business reasons (which should come as no surprise). I should write a blog post on the topic. Watch this space! :)

• 2 weeks later...
[LINUX]LinguinePenguiny

Won't be purchasing again because of this. Either open source all of the stack or I will find something better and support them instead. I want a nice QT interface on Linux.

Edited by [LINUX]LinguinePenguiny
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
10 hours ago, [LINUX]LinguinePenguiny said:

I want a nice QT interface on Linux.

Actually, the new UI in Synergy 2 uses Qt too.

If you want to use the legacy UI, you're welcome to do so: https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/tree/v1.9

Perhaps someone will create a fork of the 1.9 GUI and backport the fixes from the 2.0 core? I'd love to see that happen.

[LINUX]LinguinePenguiny

A company who doesn't support open source and actively moves to close their product is not anything I want to ever use again. Wasting resources on bad management decisions.

30 minutes ago, [LINUX]LinguinePenguiny said:

A company who doesn't support open source and actively moves to close their product is not anything I want to ever use again. Wasting resources on bad management decisions.

although I will always support open source, a company may a have good reason for closed source. security can be one of those, and since they are moving to cloud stuff this can be a reason for doing this.

@Nick Bolton do you have a good reason for making this project closed source? just curious.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
14 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

@Nick Bolton do you have a good reason for making this project closed source? just curious.

We didn't see the benefit of open sourcing our new config UI. Synergy Core is where the real value is anyway. That's where the magic happens. And that's still open source (it's GPL so it will always be).

Usually, people who want to tinker with C++ are happy to use a command line anyway (which you still can, for free). I'm trying to figure out why people are getting all bent out of shape about this. I guess they've got nothing better to do...

jaap aarts
3 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

We didn't see the benefit of open sourcing our new config UI. Synergy Core is where the real value is anyway. That's where the magic happens. And that's still open source (it's GPL so it will always be).

Usually, people who want to tinker with C++ are happy to use a command line anyway (which you still can, for free). I'm trying to figure out why people are getting all bent out of shape about this. I guess they've got nothing better to do...

I think that people want to see whats actually happening, that no information is "stolen" in the closed section of the code. open source assures people that nothing is wrong, they dont even need to look at it, just the open source label is enough.