Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Upgrade to 1.7.3 failed, had to downgrade to 1.6.3

Jaclyn Jattke
Hi, I was running version 1.7.2 on both my Mac book pro (OS 10.9.5) and my Windows PC (professional 7 64 bit). I tried to upgrade to 1.7.3 and could not get the computers to talk to each other. The windows computer failed to register and kept getting stuck trying to download the ng plugin. After restarting both computers, fully uninstalling, reinstalling, it still didn't work. So I uninstalled and reinstalled 1.7.2, this refused to work now with the same issue on my windows computer. I uninstalled and downgraded to 1.7.1, same issue. The highest version I could get to work is 1.6.3 and I have lost the moving files functionality.
Rob Williams
I am also getting the issue trying to install the plugin on my WIn 8.1 64 machine. Loaded fine on my win 7 64 machines. But they where clients. I am only seeing the issue when picking the server config in the wizard. Hopefully It gets fixed soon.
Steffen W Soerensen
Same issue here, OS X Server and Linux FC21 x64 client, which failed initial setup/register process with brief flash that it failed to identify Linux [version], assume it did install needed plugins. By renaming client $HOME/.synergy out of sight and turning off SSL on server it works. Howto re-initialise/register client to make it download plugins and work with SSL again I wonder...
David Bird
I kicked myself for upgrading from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 then wasting over an hour attempting to make it work. I was able to delete it and go back to 1.7.2 which works fine. iMac 27" mid-2011 OS X Yosemite Windows 7 Pro running as server Windows 7 Home Premium Important lesson learned, check this forum before upgrading.
Ben Koenig
[quote="Steffen W Soerensen"]Same issue here, OS X Server and Linux FC21 x64 client, which failed initial setup/register process with brief flash that it failed to identify Linux [version], assume it did install needed plugins. [/quote] FC21 is Fedora right? Someone else here found a workaround by creating a symbolic link for the dpkg program in your $PATH that points to /dev/false. After that Synergy will know to download for rpm.
Ben Koenig
Steffen's thing about renaming $HOME/.synergy is something I do on all platforms when a program gets cranky after an update. Sometime you just have to clear out the old configuration files and start fresh after upgrading several versions! On Windows 7 you find Synergy's plugin stuff here: [code]C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Synergy\[/code] Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but everything in that folder is created after the Wizard is run. Delete and rerun the Wizard if it is acting funny.
Ben Koenig
[quote="rajiv"]How does one re-run the wizard?[/quote] On Windows and Linux you find it in File -> Run Wizard. Any Mac users want to chime in? I think it's in the Synergy menu -> Run Wizard.
Steffen W Soerensen
[quote="Ben Koenig"]FC21 is Fedora right? Someone else here found a workaround by creating a symbolic link for the dpkg program in your $PATH that points to /dev/false. After that Synergy will know to download for rpm.[/quote] Yes FC is Fedora Core, correct making a dpkg symlink makes wizard download SSL plugin and then SSL connections works again, thanks!
  • 6 months later...
This has to do with the implementation of SSL encryption in Synergy. There is a bug which causes crashes randomly on Linux when it attempts to access the clipboard. This is expected to be fixed in version 1.7.6.
  • 1 month later...
Are the issues resolved for everybody? Running the wizard: if you are a Synergy Pro user, you have an option for direct tech support and so there is no need to post here and wait for another user to help. If you are a Synergy Basic user, running the wizard does very little (changes the banner at top of program) since only the Pro subscription gives you SSL plugin (downloaded when run wizard). - Brian
  • 1 year later...