Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

502 Bad Gateway

It looks like the cloud server is having an issue as when I try to start Synergy 2 either it reports that it can't connect or I get a 502 Bad Gateway error.

I've only just installed v2 and I know this is just beta at present. However once you go to release will there be a way to start synergy when your server is unavailable?

Right now it looks like I have to go back a version to be able to start it, which is in my opinion a major fail.

Unfortunately I don't have permission to see the tagged thread.

I did manage to get V2 working after a number of tries and when it works it seems a lot more responsive and generally nicer than V1.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

The cloud server is back online thanks to @Andrew Nelless and @Dan Sorahan. Andrew implemented a temporary fix that should keep it online until we release beta4, which includes a much more scalable WebSockets network infrastructure.

While I see what you are trying to do with the cloud system it does worry me that it needs an internet connection to function, when I'm in the office I'm lucky to have a 1mbit connection and it drops out all the time.

If/when the cloud connection drops will synergy see the 2 machines offline and break the client server connection?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

@paul2 Don't worry. You only need an internet connection to do the initial configuration (or if your IP address changes, etc). Synergy 2 will still function when your internet connection goes offline.

Daniel Garcia

I do a lot of work on devices that are on isolated networks - will it be possible to configure _without_ needed an internet connection?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
9 hours ago, Daniel Garcia said:

I do a lot of work on devices that are on isolated networks - will it be possible to configure _without_ needed an internet connection?

The cloud config is essential to the functionality of Synergy 2. Hmm, I wonder... what about if we allowed people to run their own private "mini-cloud" server?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
1 hour ago, paul2 said:

@Nick Bolton that would be a perfect solution for me at least. You would also cater to those on secure networks and the paranoid, it has to be a win.

Well, we'll definitely be offering it with Synergy Enterprise. We wouldn't be able to sell our enterprise edition without them being able to host their own cloud servers.

How many Synergy users are there at your company?

Enterprise would probably be over kill for me and because I move about I'm not sure it would work.

My use case is that I move between 2 offices with 2 laptops, one is Linux and one is OSX, sometimes I have a 3rd machine in the mix. OSX is usually controlling the others.

In my main location the internet is horrible, when it works, hence my concern about requiring a connection to the cloud. Having a mini server which I can run on one of my machines would be great as it would just work, internet or not.

I'm quite happy to enter the server IP into each client.

I'd even accept a machine limit on it of say 5 then we either move enterprise or cloud.

Synergy users would currently be 2 but both working between locations.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Got ya... Let me have a think about the personal cloud server solution.

I don't suppose you'd want to run from the command line and use a text config? You can do that in Synergy 2, and that doesn't depend on the cloud at all.

7 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Got ya... Let me have a think about the personal cloud server solution.

I don't suppose you'd want to run from the command line and use a text config? You can do that in Synergy 2, and that doesn't depend on the cloud at all.

A personal cloud would be the nicest option as a quick click to start it, grabbing a machine icon and sliding it into position is a lot easier than configuring it via a text file, I'll blame you for spoiling me with ease of use in the V2 beta :) 

Starting synergy from the command line with the server IP and starting the server from the command line is not a problem. I use a product called ZeroTeir so I can have fixed IPs on my machines no matter which network I'm connected to, therefore I can script it all and just leave it running. Even without that it's no hardship. I'll have a look at the command line in a bit.

If we could keep the GUI to set the relative positions of the screens then that would be ideal.

• Like 1