Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

1.7.3 'Bad service type' errors in event viewer on server.

Shane Smith
I'm getting 'failed to connect to server: connection was refused' on the client, and the server's logging 'Bad service type in ._synergyClientZeroconf._tcp.local. Application protocol name must be underscore plus 1-14 characters.' in event viewer. This started immediately after installing 1.7.3 on both machines. Client is Win 7 32 bit, server Win 8.1 64 bit. Anybody else seeing this?
  • 4 months later...
Doug Tooley
I noticed this exact same error in the Windows Event Viewer today. (I was in there looking for something unrelated and noticed the Synergy event.) I'm running 1.7.4 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. (server) I'm not having any specific problem with Synergy at the moment. (aside: I've had a couple Synergy crashes with this version, but nothing reproduceable.) If the error message is correct, and it *is* complaining about the "Application Protocol Name" length, then "_synergyClientZeroconf" could probably just be changed something shorter and the problem would go away.
  • 10 months later...

I am getting this error in version 1.8.2.

Until recently, I never had this problem, but now the client cannot connect to the Synergy server.

As far as I am aware, the only thing that changed is that Avast decided to turn on its firewall. But I don't see that Avast is blocking Synergy in the firewall log.

Derek Cooper

I service computers for a living and until recently I used Avast for all my clients. I've started taking it off for four reasons. One is that the popups have gotten annoying. My clients complain. The second is that they started automatically installing a bunch of "extra" tools that I don't want. Which leads to reason number three. The SafeZone browser that Avast installed opened up a gaping security hole. Supposedly they fixed it but no thank you. The last reason I remove it is because of ratings. The most recent scores had Avast taking a nose dive and Avira rising to the top. I prefer Avira anyway so that's what I'm installing now.

If you don't want to replace your antivirus you should uninstall the extra garbage. They don't just have an option to turn them off. so here's a link with instructions:

http://techdows.com/2016/02/uninstall-or-remove-avast-safezone-browser.html

... uninstall the extra garbage.

Thanks for your help. I always uninstall the garbage of Avast, but I keep forgetting to investigate other antivirus software. I'll check out Avira.

In the meantime, the problem persists, and it is not caused by Avast. I have verified this by using Synergy on my laptops (the problem is on my desktop). It looks like a problem in Windows, because I cannot even ping my desktop PC. This problem is addressed in many forum posts all over the internet, and there are many others like me who cannot solve it after trying lots of things. :|