Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 1.7.3 using 25% CPU

Just installed 1.7.3 and the synergyd.exe process is consistently using 25%. When I say consistently, I mean it doesn't even move 1% up or down. It always uses exactly 25%. It seems to take 1-3 minutes before it kicks up to 25% but then just stays there. This is on a machine with windows 7 SP1. Both server and client are on 1.7.3.
Bryan Jasper
Same here. Doesn't matter if you use the 64 or 32-bit versions. Synergy is unusable until this CPU problem is solved.
Stephen Cleary
I have also observed this after upgrading. My Win7 SP1 client shows synergyd taking up 25% CPU (quad-core). My Win8 server also shows synergyd taking up 32% CPU (also quad-core). This started immediately after upgrading to 1.7.3. Downgrading to 1.7.2 resolved the CPU issues.
Marty Gilbert
Synergyd.exe was using more than 30% CPU on my Surface Pro 3 - it causes the fan to run incessantly. I'm running 64-bit Windows 8.1. Looks like I'm going to try to downgrade to 1.7.2 and see if that helps any.
Yoichi Aso
I'm also having the same problem. Server: Windows 8.1 64bit (laptop, 2 CPU cores) -> high CPU load (25%) Client1: Windows 8.1 64bit (Surface Pro 3, 2 CPU cores) -> high CPU load (25%) Client2: Windows 8.1 64bit (desktop with 6 CPU cores) -> no significant CPU load Client3: Ubuntu 14.04 64bit (desktop with 16 CPU cores) -> no significant CPU load All of them are on Synergy 1.7.3 Pro.
Paul C Hermann
For information only , just checked the two PC's I am able to get to work (one will not activate, I posted on this elsewhere), but neither PCs are showing ANY level of CPU usage, so it is negligible here.
Andrew Armstrong
1.7.3 on both server and client. Server is Win10 Tech Preview. Client is 8.1pro. Both server and client experiencing 17% (one core) utilization of syngergyd.exe [b]Interesting tidbit[/b].... on both machines that are experiencing high CPU utilization from syngergyd.exe.... starting the synergy control panel app (synergyc.exe) causes the cpu utilization of synergyd.exe to drop down to normal/acceptable levels. Start synergyc.exe on each PC and both CPUs go down to the normal 2-3% idle utilization expected. Close the synergy app and the CPU goes back to 17% utilization on syngergyd.exe. Keep the app open and the utilization stays down. Not a fix, but a workaround.
James Vincent
I can confirm the same issue. Installed 1.7.3 on my Fedora 21 (now 22) Linux machine which is the synergy server, and also 1.7.3 on my Windows 7 64-bit machine. synergyd.exe is using close to 100% of a core (or 25% of the entire machine).
Josh Sosebee
[quote="smeggysmeg"]I'm having the same problem as OP. Synergyd.exe is maxing out a single CPU core.[/quote] +1 here. Happy to provide any logs or tracing if needed. My laptop fan spins up and stays on until I stop Synergy. Server: Windows 7 SP1 Client: OS X 10.10.3
Danny Carlton
Server: Win7 (64 bit, laptop), CPU 13% Client #1: Win8.1 (64 bit all-in-one), CPU 25% Client #2, Xubuntu 12.04 (32 bit, laptop, running some gnome), CPU 2% Started Synergy Desktop and both windows computer and CPU's drop to negligible and stayed that way. Also, the task manager was saying 75% idle, 25% synergyd but only 32% total usage, and no overheating problem.
Can confirm this as well for 1.7.3 Synergy Pro, although the work around does stop it. Server Win 8.1 Client #1 Win Server 2012 Client #2 Win 8.1 synergyd.exe is using: Both Win 8.1 run at 20-25 % of CPU Win Server 2012 goes up to 50% of CPU Guess I should also state, this is the 64 bit version although task manager says "synergy.exe (32bit)" Edit: Just read Github post and the latest nightly fixes the issue "synergy-master-bd3a8e9" at least for me. [url]http://synergy-project.org/nightly[/url]
Confirming: Windows 7 Server Windows 8.1 Client synergyd.exe at 12% of CPU (This on a quad core i7) opening synergyc.exe drops it back down to the point where I can use the computer) I've been a synergy user for a while and this is the first time I've seen something like this, has to be something in the latest rev.
Ryogenic
[quote="Marty Gilbert"]Synergyd.exe was using more than 30% CPU on my Surface Pro 3 - it causes the fan to run incessantly. I'm running 64-bit Windows 8.1. Looks like I'm going to try to downgrade to 1.7.2 and see if that helps any.[/quote] Same issue on my Surface Pro 3. It basically maxes out one of the cores so the fan has to work overtime. With one core on full blast it gets pretty hot.
deltajuliet
Having similar issues. There seems to be a pattern to this issue. The CPU spike seems to only happen when the following conditions are present. System: Surface Pro 3 Running Windows 8.1 Pro 1. The client cannot communicate with the server. Usually because I am not connected to the home network. 2. The client GUI has not been launched 3. The client is not hidden to the notification bar. The moment I load up the GUI or "Hide" it to the notification bar the CPU usage drops. I am able to replicate this problem by rebooting (since synergyd starts on reboot). As long as I don't load the client GUI CPU will average about 40% to 60% for synergyd. This started when i upgraded to 1.7.3 No solution found yet other than hiding the GUI to the notification bar.
  • 2 weeks later...
Andrew Armstrong
[quote="deltajuliet"]Having similar issues. There seems to be a pattern to this issue. The CPU spike seems to only happen when the following conditions are present. System: Surface Pro 3 Running Windows 8.1 Pro 1. The client cannot communicate with the server. Usually because I am not connected to the home network. 2. The client GUI has not been launched 3. The client is not hidden to the notification bar. The moment I load up the GUI or "Hide" it to the notification bar the CPU usage drops. I am able to replicate this problem by rebooting (since synergyd starts on reboot). As long as I don't load the client GUI CPU will average about 40% to 60% for synergyd. This started when i upgraded to 1.7.3 No solution found yet other than hiding the GUI to the notification bar.[/quote] In my experience, the CPU spike happens whether the client is connected or not. Happens to server and clients each time the software is started.
Matthew O Erickson
You, sir, helped me immensely. I am having the same issue and this dropped the CPU usage, at least until the next patch. [quote="deltajuliet"]Having similar issues. There seems to be a pattern to this issue. The CPU spike seems to only happen when the following conditions are present. System: Surface Pro 3 Running Windows 8.1 Pro 1. The client cannot communicate with the server. Usually because I am not connected to the home network. 2. The client GUI has not been launched 3. The client is not hidden to the notification bar. The moment I load up the GUI or "Hide" it to the notification bar the CPU usage drops. I am able to replicate this problem by rebooting (since synergyd starts on reboot). As long as I don't load the client GUI CPU will average about 40% to 60% for synergyd. This started when i upgraded to 1.7.3 No solution found yet other than hiding the GUI to the notification bar.[/quote]
Jason Butterworth
Same thing happens in the 32bit client on Windows 7 Enterprise. Just in case it is still an issue in the current build.
João Oliveira
I'm facing the same problem: synergyd.exe is consuming a lot of CPU. On a W8 Quad-core CPU is constantly at 25%. On a W7 dual-core, CPU is constantly at 50%!! I noticed however, that, after stooping and restarting the process, and as long as I keep the 'Synergy Pro' window opened, CPU is down to zero. It only rises again after I close the 'Synergy Pro' window. I see the same behavior in both server and client side.
  • 1 month later...
Geoffrey Axon-Eaves
I have found by using the previous stable version no more high cpu problems and no opening the gui to correct synergyd.