splash_cn

Nice interface, unfinished functions

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been using Synergy 2.0 beta for a couple of hours, I rely on the previous version to boost my productivity in operating across different PCs in the same office.

Unfortunately I have to roll back to previous version, despite the new interface being nice and clean.

Here's my experience, starting with my usual PC set-up:

PC-1: A regular desktop PC with 1080P screen, scale level 100% (this is important, will talk about later), this is what I sit in front of most of the time in the office, I have one similar at home, also set up with Synergy 1.8.8, This PC is server/master.

PC-2: Surface Pro 3, scale level 150%(default), my travel PC. set to client/slave. My Surface tablet is connected to its expansion dock in the office and at home, the dock connected to PC-1 directly using a network cable, a local IP address is assigned to both PC-1 and PC-2.

other Windows-PCs in the same LAN address pool, all set to slave clients in Synergy.

version 1.8.8 works flawlessly in the office, despite initial connection issues, all sort out with average network knowledge, no bug related issues at all.

PC-1 as server, is listening to clients on both LAN IP address pool and the point-to-point connection (with PC-2, the Surface tablet), I just need to specify each client/slave to be listened by server and that's a go.

In the 2.0 beta version however, such an option is not accessible. I cannot access settings from the interface.

The interface would recognize ALL PCs with Synergy 2.0 beta installed, but my Surface (when wifi disabled, so I can use the cable to reduce latency when the wireless hardware is under load which happens a lot, not software related) will not finish connection.

More, Synergy 2.0 window on Surface, is super blown and cannot be shrunk to a reasonable size despite enough space present, I suspect this is related to scaling.

Right click, double click, does not do anything.

I understand this is an unfinished product, but I now heavily rely on a working software for my work. The money in 2.0 beta early access is already spent.

I have to roll back to previous version which is already good and stable. When new features and accessible control panels are implemented, I will attempt to use Synergy 2 again.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2017 at 10:14 AM, splash_cn said:

PC-1 as server, is listening to clients on both LAN IP address pool and the point-to-point connection (with PC-2, the Surface tablet), I just need to specify each client/slave to be listened by server and that's a go.

 

So the issue is that you have 2 possible connections, and Synergy 2 chooses the laggy wifi connection instead of the faster wifi connection?

You'd much prefer if you could say "Synergy, use this wired connection..."

Right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

So the issue is that you have 2 possible connections, and Synergy 2 chooses the laggy wifi connection instead of the faster wifi connection?

You'd much prefer if you could say "Synergy, use this wired connection..."

Right?

That's a brilliant way to put it yes.
correction: the laggy one is wifi, the faster one....is cable. and the wifi is only laggy with Surface tablet cause hardware limitations (bluetooth taking resource from WLAN, completely not software related).

Edited by splash_cn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I have a Surface Pro too. I feel your pain. I actually tried tethering my laptop and Surface via bluetooth. The Surface's bluetooth chip overloaded and disabled itself after about 5 mins, haha.

What are you using for ethernet on the Surface, a USB adapter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nick Bolton said:

Yeah, I have a Surface Pro too. I feel your pain. I actually tried tethering my laptop and Surface via bluetooth. The Surface's bluetooth chip overloaded and disabled itself after about 5 mins, haha.

What are you using for ethernet on the Surface, a USB adapter?

I have a Surface dock which houses an Ethernet port, using it to connect with my desktop PC both at work and at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, Surface dock... I might try that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, pay attention though as upcoming new Surface iterations could use a different dock.

Anyway I'll get back to Synergy 2 when network selection is available again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now