Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Keyboard Layout Keeps Changing

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a Windows server and a Mac client. Most of the time the setup works just fine, but occasionally I begin typing to the Mac and find that the keyboard configuration has changed. I have not altered any settings on the PC or the Mac, or with the Synergy software. I'm posting because it has happened just now - with this Bluetooth keyboard to the Mac all is fine:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890!@£$%^&*()

But via Synergy:

ÁBÇDÉFGHÍJKLMNÓPQRSTÚV?X´YZ1™#™5^7890!@£$%^&*()

Rebooting the client Mac sometimes brings things back to normal - but why is it changing in the first place?

Thanks,

Andy.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is related to this two-and-a-half year long bug.

The issue is now stuck and I can't change the keyboard layout at all now:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz1234567890-=

ábçdéfghíjklmnópqrstúv?x´yz1€#€5^7890-=

Both macOS 10.12.6 and Windows 10 are set to UK keyboard layouts.

Any help, please? I'm beginning to wonder what exactly I got for my $10.

Cheers,

A.

Okay, I am now typing through Synergy to my Mac. No explanation as to why this corrected itself, but I uninstalled and reinstalled v1.8.8 (after a failed attempt to use v2.0b due to a bug which says it's out of date) and the keyboard settings now appear to be correct. Let's hope they stay this way, because right now it's a great, usable system.

Okay, well, it lasted a whole day. Disconnected the laptop yesterday, brought it back today, plugged it in...

ábçdéfghíjklmnópqrstúv?x´yz

Does anybody have any clues, because I can't find anything that should be causing this.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for responding, will. Considering the lack of official response here, I can't disagree with your statement.

I've reinstalled Synergy now (switched to ShareMouse for a while, which came with its own problems) and changed that setting. I'll report back on how it goes.

Hmm, well, it didn't help. I think it's when the Mac and PC have gone to their respective login windows (this machine doesn't go to sleep). Afterwards the keyboard ál?á´ys góés báçk tó thís. Having to use a second keyboard to type this.

Thinking of ditching both Synergy and ShareMouse now - looking for hardware solutions instead.

• 2 weeks later...

To follow up for the sake of completeness, I purchased this KM switch cable from Startech. So far it has proven to be a much better option than either Synergy or ShareMouse. The included software is a bit old and not terribly pretty and the file transfer feature doesn't work at all with macOS 10.13. However, I have had no keyboard layout issues since starting to use it to control my MacBook Pro laptop from my Windows 10 desktop and the mouse is completely lag-free (as it was with Synergy to be fair; ShareMouse was the one that had horrible pointer lag).

The only problems I have had with this solution is that it keeps forgetting the status of the NUM LOCK key when I move to the Mac and it only recognises the one scroll wheel button on my mouse. All is well in Windows with NUM LOCK, but I'll often find a keypress of '2' will result in the window scrolling down on the Mac. This is fixed with one rapid tap on the NUM LOCK key, so although it's not perfect, it's something I can live with. It also holds up perfectly when my laptop is disconnected and reconnected, which is done through a Thunderbolt dock. Now I can set down the laptop, connect power and one Thunderbolt cable and have it controllable from the PC.

I've used Synergy for years doing connections between macOS systems, but this keyboard layout issue between Windows and macOS has been a real killer for me. A real shame.