Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Error on activate / Linux

Conrad Schuler
Hi All, Running the Wizard. Entered email & pw. (they worked on Windows) Selected "Server". Error: Could not get Linux package type. Any ideas how to get past the error? Thanks, Conrad
Ala Ibrahim
I'm having the same problem, for me for everything to work, I click on Finish, then in Edit -> settings, uncheck "Use SSL", and on clients, you need to also uncheck the same "Use SSL". I know this is not a fix, but this would be a temporary fix for the issue
Kevin Depew
Likewise, I am getting "Could not get Linux package type." running the wizard on a Centos 7 install. Disabled ssl on clients as a workaround, but would love to see a fix for this. Thanks!!!
Jan Peterson
Another report of the same problem... Korora OS (RPM-based CentOS derivative). Downloaded 1.7.3 RPM for 64-bit, installed, ran the setup wizard, logged in, selected "client", received the message "Could not get Linux package type." Sounds like something is missing somewhere? Perhaps it is looking for a particular config file to determine which package it wants. Examining strings output on the synergy binary, it appears that it can't figure out that my system is RPM based. If I could figure out what it's looking for to make that determination, I could maybe fake it.
Jan Peterson
Source for synergy is available on github, so I did some trolling... The problem appears to be in src/gui/src/PluginManager.cpp. The problem code is here: [code] QString program("dpkg"); QStringList args; args << "-s" << "synergy"; QProcess process; process.setReadChannel(QProcess::StandardOutput); process.start(program, args); bool success = process.waitForStarted(); if (!success || !process.waitForFinished()) { emit error(tr("Could not get Linux package type.")); return ""; } [/code] so it looks like if the system is not debian based (i.e., has "dpkg"), then synergy just gives up in disgust. Of course, there is no dpkg program on RPM-based systems. A little later in the code is this: [code] bool isDeb = (process.exitCode() == 0); int arch = getProcessorArch(); if (arch == kProcessorArchLinux32) { if (isDeb) { archName = kLinuxPackagePlatformDeb32; } else { archName = kLinuxPackagePlatformRpm32; } } else if (arch == kProcessorArchLinux64) { if (isDeb) { archName = kLinuxPackagePlatformDeb64; } else { archName = kLinuxPackagePlatformRpm64; } } [/code] which seems to indicate that if we had a dpkg program that exited with a non-zero exit status, it could figure things out. Sure enough, creating a "dpkg" symlink to /bin/false and putting that link in my PATH resolved the problem. Ugh.
Ben Koenig
I really like that it generally works out of the box. However with so many Linux Distributions having any program automagically figure out which one you might be using ATM is not feasible. After Synergy attempts to figure it out, a small list of plugins for the user to choose from, in case of a non-standard OS? I know the Ubuntu version of the plugin works for many Linux systems out there, deb based or not.
Jan Peterson
Ha, looks like this is already found and fixed: [url]https://github.com/synergy/synergy/issues/4720[/url].
Jim McNelis
I'm having a different problem trying to activate Ubuntu 14.04 1.7.3 client. After putting my username/password in and click Next, I get: An error occurred while trying to sign in. Please contact the helpdesk, and provide the following details. Code:1 Error: ERROR: curl perform error: Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with given CA certificates FATAL: An error occurred: CURL perform failed. Thanks in advance for any help.
Ben Koenig
Hey Jim, Have you run the Update Manager lately? CA certificates are distributed by your OS to verify the authenticity of websites. The certificate package is regularly updated on Linux distros and Web Browsers and if out of date will cause errors similar to what you mentioned. Can you run Automatic updates, and let Ubuntu download/install everything? Then restart your computer and try it again.
  • 2 weeks later...
Ben Koenig
I am sorry I lost this thread somehow. This currently affects most Linux Distributions, mostly those not based on DEB packages. The solution is to create a single symbolic link: [code]root@HOST:~# which false /usr/bin/false root@HOST:~# ln -s /usr/bin/false /usr/bin/dpkg [/code] The [b]which[/b] command tells you where [b]false[/b] is located. For me it was in [b]/usr/bin/false[/b]. Others here mentioned it living in [b]/bin/false[/b]. Now you can rerun the Registration Wizard.
  • 1 month later...
Jim McNelis
Ben, That symlink would be in conflict with the file that lives at /usr/bin/dpkg on my ubuntu 14.04 machine. You don't want to do this on a Debian based machine. I am still unable to register the linux client. Getting same error message...
  • 4 months later...
This is because your operating system does not trust the GoDaddy's root certificate. To fix that in Ubuntu, do these [code]wget --no-check-certificate "https://certs.godaddy.com/repository/gdroot-g2_cross.crt" sudo cp gdroot-g2_cross.crt /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/gdroot-g2_cross.crt sudo update-ca-certificates [/code] You can use curl instead of wget to pull the file, obviously. If you are using another operating system, google how to add certificate to your server. e.g. [url]http://kb.kerio.com/product/kerio-connect/server-configuration/ssl-certificates/adding-trusted-root-certificates-to-the-server-1605.html[/url]
  • 1 year later...