Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Lock Screen on Windows Server w/ Linux Client

When Windows is locked, applications are naturally not allowed to interact with the user - this is reasonable and expected. But it seems that Synergy isn't completely blocked from reading the mouse, and this caused some confusion. When I came back to my computer I tried to mouse over to the client machine to unlock it there but found keystrokes are not sent. Also I couldn't move the mouse back to the Windows screen because XScreensaver captures the pointer in its unlock dialog... With both computers sitting on the same desk it was no problem to reach over and unlock the other computer manually, but even then I couldn't get the mouse cursor to return to the display of the Windows machine - Synergy/Server was unable to control the mouse locally(?). I had to kill the client in order to regain the mouse cursor on the server machine.

((((((In addition to the issue I came here to report, my connection is both laggy and unstable, and I'm gggetting a lot of repeated keystrokes... probably unrelated but the result is [just barely] funnnnnnnny enough to leave as-is.)

I trrieed movvvvvvvving theeeeeeeeee mouse offfff of my server (Windows) to my singleeeeeee clieeent screeeeeeeen while the serrrrrver was sitting at the Ctrl+Alt+++++++++++Deleete lock screen. I wwwwwas able to send keystrokes to the client and move the mouse around, buttttttt couldnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn't move the mouuuuuuse back to ittttts home desktop. I killed synerggggyc on the client and the mouse reappeared in the center of the host desktop, everything was fine after I unlocked ttthat machine.

Server: 1.8.4-stable-a6ff907 (Windows, Pro, downloaded from the website)
Client: 1.4.16, protocol version 1.5 (Linux, installed from the Debian rrrrrrepos)

For host/netttttworrrrrrk reasons I have Synergy's SSL turned off and the connection is going through annnnn SSH tunnel.
I'''''''m happy to provide any other details or observations that might be useful.

-gwwwwws

Paul Suarez

Hi @gws. Do you have your mouse connected to the server with a usb cable? If so, have you tried unplugging and plugging the USB cable back in to the USB port?

Yes, it's an ordinary USB mouse. I can certainly see where replugging the mouse would reset the cursor. (Until I accidentally touch the right edge of the screen again!). I can try this next time I take my work computer home. If you think it would be relevant I can also try the same setup with my wife's laptop, but the work machine has Windows 7 and hers got upgraded to Windows 10 so the results may not be comparable.

Are there any server/client/connection settings I should be experimenting with to avoid losing the cursor in the first place?

Paul Suarez

That would be a good plan @gws.But since it is a laptop, there could be slight differences since laptops normally have a mouse and touch pad.

Let us know how it goes.:)