RickD

Mapping Mac Command and Option Keys to a Windows Keyboard

12 posts in this topic

I have a windows server and two macs

I'd like the Windows Key to function as the command key on both macs.  I'd also like to map some Windows key to be the option key on the Macs, although Option is seldom used any more.

How can I set this up?

Thanks

Hi @RickD. Have you tried setting it up on your server's server configuration interface? If you double-click on your machine's screen name, you should see an option to change the modifier keys.

Yes I need further assistance. I have not solved the original issue.  How do I map Windows keyboard keys to Mac Command/Option keys with a Window machine as sever and Macs as clients?

The knowledge base information provided is not clear.

Which part of the knowledge base article is not clear @RickD?

Hi there. Was this ever resolved please? I tried going into the keyboard settings and changing option and command around but it would seem that Synergy overrides this. I made the mistake of buying a keyboard and without realising, they've swapped the command and alt button around. How very annoying of them

5a8ed734eee28_ScreenShot2018-02-22at14_43_41.thumb.png.e7fdbe1efb98661cfdd92cc8b733d7e4.png

Hello,

Issue #1:

I'm trying to remap the physical keys that are attached to my primary (Synergy server) machine that is running macOS High Sierra (iMac 27-inch, Late 2013).

My secondary machine is an Ubuntu/Linux Laptop (Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition).

The default key mapping is:

macOS Option Key -> Linux Alt Key

macOS Apple Key -> Linux Windows Key

Regardless of labels, these two keys are physically placed in inverted positions. I would like to have:

macOS Option Key -> Linux Windows Key

macOS Apple Key -> Linux Alt Key

Caveat:

I do not want to remap the keys directly on my secondary laptop (Ubuntu) settings because the physical (local) key maps should remain consistent and familiar. I only want the keys to be remapped when I'm controlling Ubuntu from the macOS physical keyboard.

Please do not respond with advice on how to remap physical keys directly on Ubuntu, I already know how to do this, but do not wish to.

Issue #2:

I was unable to find links on Symless.com to any documentation whatsoever. I'm certain this is not an unusual request and I'd rather not trigger an individual support ticket that just gets repeated over and over. Hiding the forums behind a "Help" button that looks more like a "Support Ticket" isn't the right way to do this.

Please update the website main navigation to include direct links into installation, FAQ or troubleshooting content.

Issue #3:

I found this forum from external search engine results, and was immediately blocked from searching anonymously by some message that indicated I need to wait 4 seconds before performing another search, but in reality, I was not permitted to search after any amount of waiting until I signed into the forum with my account.

Please update this error message to more accurately reflect what's going on.

Issue #4:

I was able to find a number of articles (here and elsewhere) that indicate I should be able to double-click on the machines in the Synergy configuration screen. Unfortunately, this does not seem to work for me and might be a bug in the latest Synergy that might have been caused by macOS High Sierra? In any case, double clicking the machines in my server configuration interface does not seem to do anything.I eventually found this post and found the following issues here:

On 7/27/2017 at 11:11 PM, RickD said:

The link above is now gone (404 error)

Please consider updating the thread with a new link or at least delete that now-misleading post.

Troubleshooting Steps:

I have quit Synergy and restarted it. I have rebooted both computers. I have unchecked and checked the Synergy application in macOS Security and Privacy settings. All to no avail.

Double-clicking on machines in the Synergy configuration dialog has no apparent effect on my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Luke

Posted (edited)

I have a similar issue. I have a Keyboard that allows me to change the keys from the keyboard itself. So i have set windows key to be command from the keyboard. However, Synergy is automatically mapping the key that it thinks should be Windows to command is reversing the setting I have set on the keyboard.

Any suggestions for disabling automatic key-switching?

For Reference the KeyBoard is WASD brand 10keyless

Edited by Mohammad Minaie