Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Switch screens using keyboard shortcuts

Hi,

I downloaded and installed the beta on a Win 10 "HDMI stick" and MacOS 10.12.5 (later I will install on Debian and a Win 10 PC).

I would like to buy a LG 43UD79 monitor with 4 HDMI inputs for quad split screen.

So only the HDMI stick has a keyboard and mouse connected, it will always be the server and I won't really be using it for anything else.

Can I set it up so that the HDMI stick is always the server and I can switch my mouse and keyboard to a particular computer using keyboard shortcuts, ideally I would like to have no display on the HDMI stick?

Will this work?

Thanks.
Richard

Paul Suarez

Hi @rthorntn. I'm sorry but Synergy doesn't handle a headless (monitor-less) server. If you don't have a monitor connected to your server, it won't detect a screen of any resolution.

3 hours ago, Paul Suarez said:

Hi @rthorntn. I'm sorry but Synergy doesn't handle a headless (monitor-less) server. If you don't have a monitor connected to your server, it won't detect a screen of any resolution.

OK, thanks, can I control which client has the focus with a key combination?

Oh and can I give my screens useful names?

I would prefer that just the keys are used, can mouse movement off the side of the screen to change clients be disabled?

Edited by rthorntn

There isn't really any config in 2.x beta, can the conf file be edited manually, to hardcode the server and enable hotkeys?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

@rthorntn @Paul Suarez Today, monitor manufacturers tend to insist on you pressing a button to switch inputs, so it's not really possible to solve the problem with software (the monitor switching question has been asked many times). The most common solution is a KVM device, but that's a horrible solution because you have to press a button to switch between screens (so you're back to square one, same problem as the monitor's screen cycle button).

Thanks Nick, I'm going to have a monitor, the LG 43UD79-B showing 4 screens simultaneously, I just want to hotkey to the screen that I want to input keyboard and mouse in to.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Oh! You're using LG Screen Split. Well, why don't you simply move your mouse off the edge of the screen as Synergy intends?

I think hotkeys would be cool, I could use something like my "headless ghost" HDMI adapter to trick synergy in to thinking the server had a monitor attached.

Also with Split Screen, if I only have three computers turned on, the split can be 2 x 1/4 screen and 1 x 1/2 screen, can Synergy support that, in the real world it would be like 2 x 20" screens stacked and a 40" screen next to it, so if you moved to the left top half of the 40" screen it should go to the top 20", left bottom half of the 40" should go to the bottom 20", is that supported?

Edited by rthorntn