Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

keyboard not working as client

Hi. New customer, and directed here by Support.

I installed Symless Pro as server on PC with Ubuntu 16.04 LTR. Microsoft ergonomic keyboard 4000 is connected by USB and Logitech MX Master wireless mouse is connected by wireless 2.4 GHz, not Bluetooth.

I installed Symless as client on Surface Pro 4 tablet with Win 10 Pro . Mouse operates variably but is not a concern because I can easily do a button switch to Bluetooth which works perfectly. Keyboard is not working at all on the client and I have to still use the Touchpad Bluetooth keyboard as I used to for character entry on the Surface Pro.

Client and server logs show IP addresses as correct and client and server are connected. Is there a fix to get keyboard working for Surface tablet? When I connect keyboard directly to Surface via USB, keyboard works fine. Alternatively, perhaps I will have to change to a wireless keyboard that may work on both systems, but I love my MS ergo.

At this point this software KBM is not really functioning despite easy installation on both machines and success showing in the logs of both machines.

Thanks for any help.

Paul Suarez

Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

screenshots attached; sorry, I don't know how to do that better right now. Any suggestions welcome.

Server: Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit on PC, synergy-v1.8.8-stable-25a8cb2-Linux-x86_64.deb installed, connected on ethernet.

Client: Win 10 Pro 64 bit on Surface Pro 4 tablet, synergy-v1.8.8-stable-25a8cb2-Windows-x64.msi installed, connected on ethernet.

MS ergo keyboard 4000 as noted previously connected directly to server PC motherboard USB port.

server.JPG

client.JPG

Paul Suarez

It seems that the server doesn't have an SSL fingerprint. That might cause multiple errors/problems. Do you want to use Synergy with SSL encryption?

Not sure what the pros and cons of that option are, but if that's the problem, I'll use Synergy with SSL encryption. I don't  see that setting. Please advise how to proceed.

Thanks.

Paul Suarez

If you're on a network that has many users or a network that is used publicly (hotels, public Wi-Fi, etc...), then it would be best to have SSL encryption. But if you're using a network that is privately used by you, then SSL encryption is not really needed.

1. Click the Edit menu
  2. Click the Settings menu item
  3. Either check or uncheck SSL
  4. Make sure it's the same on both machines

Of course. I'm new to Linux and the Edit menu does not show on the window until the cursor is over the menu bar so I didn't see it.

Server set now to SSL, client SSL. Hard reboot of both machines, logs show connected on both, fingerprint shows on both, but no keyboard action on client.

When I have time in 10h from now I'll try with SSL off on both because I don't really need it. Do you have other suggestions?

additional info:

maybe my display setup is the problem.

I have one display and the 2 machines are connected to it.

Server PC connected via hdmi port on mobo to hdmi port 1 on display base.

client PC connected via minidisplay port on Surface Pro DOCK to hdmi port 2 on display.

I switch screens between the 2 machines via a toggle on the display base, i.e. hdmi 1 or hdmi 2.

Is an issue? The log on each screen shows that I have exited the screen when I switched hdmi 1 to hdmi 2, or v.v., when I go back to the initial machine.

Thanks.

Keyboard and mouse now working on both machines! I hope it lasts on all software.

Thanks for speedy help, sorry for my novice level of ability to set up. SSL must have been the problem.

Best wishes.

Both machines work when both have SSL on or off.

Today I notice up to about 1m latency when I switch to the other hdmi port on the display base before the keyboard and mouse are responsive on either machine. I don't know why that would be. I am trying a PS2 connection for a wired mouse on the server today. Maybe that's it. When I have time I'll go back to the wireless mouse and see if that reduces the latency, which is preferable.

Thanks for checking in!

I switched back to the wireless mouse and there is still a variable latency when I switch between the machines before the kb and mouse will respond after switching, sometimes up to 1m, and then kb and mouse operate perfectly on either machine.Odd. A minor inconvenience.

Before Synergy was installed on the 2 machines there was never any lag in initial response to kb and mouse on either machine in the set up I have noted at the beginning. If I don't use Synergy on the server, I can't use the ergo kb on the client machine which was my objective.

My assumption is that to have the ergo kb work on the client machine, it has to be either physically connected to the client, or physically connected to the server with Synergy running. Perhaps I don't understand what you are suggesting.

Paul Suarez

Since Synergy is a keyboard and mouse sharing software, it shares your server's keyboard and mouse to your client machine(s). I hope this clears it out. Let me know if you still have confusions about using it or it's functions.

Some confusion in our emails, I think.

This is the issue: there is up to a 1m latency in kb and mouse responsiveness right after a switch from client to server, or server to client. After a minute, the latency is gone and the kb and mouse work fine, whether I'm on the server or client.