Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Feedback as wanted + an error

There is a long way to go, to polish this program up.

There is no info of any kind on how to run this software, what to do if (error), or anything.
And that makes it kind of hard to use, overall i think it can be very user friendly to not have all those wierd options and settings, and to just have it working from the get go, but there have to be a start up guide of some sort.
Also, there should be a way to remove former PC's from the "control" window.
And last but not least, i feel like there should be more "snapping" in the "control" window, so it is easier to align different PC's.

Now my error:
I have it installed on a laptop and a desktop PC, both Win10, and it worked fine for the first two minutes, then i decided to rename my laptop from "laptopOMG-LongStandardWierdAssName" to just "Laptop-Win10" so it was easier to figure out which PC was which, in the very sparse menu.
After restarting to make the name change go through, my laptop wouldn't connect to synergy and i just get the loading bar.
Also the old "laptopOMG-LongStandardWierdAssName" box is still in the window and i can not remove it.
I then tried renaming my desktop from "My-Desktop" to "Desktop-Win10" and the error replicated, now i have 4 boxes, 2 of which is the old names and 2 of which just keeps loading.
I then tried reinstalling the program, and nothing changed, i then tried removing it with a "nuke the program away" program, but it still persisted, then i tried nuking it and removing every bit of small left behind piece of data i could find in appdata and program files, heck i even removed the prefetch files.
But alas i now have a program i cannot use, can't be fixed by reinstalling, and doesn't seem to have much in the way of support.

• Like 1

Completely agreed... same problems...       Seems to work half the time..   and given the lack of comments I wonder how much support this is really getting..

Totally, this might have come out a bit differently, but it was NOT at all an "Fuck this im never bying yadayada" rant, i just tried to give the little ideas i have already come up with about where it could use improvement.

Although it would be nice to get some help with the program not working :)
I am not a programmer, but i have an idea about the registered PC's being server-side since i can't remove them myself, and would like a response from symless on that, and perhaps even some help, so i can keep on breaking the program for them

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

@jjffnn Sorry for the late reply! I really appreciate your feedback. Actually, I completely agree with everything you said, and I'm pushing for all of those features to be implemented. Right now, beta2 is a very early MVP (minimum viable product) to see what people think of our focus on super simple config. We have had an overwhelming demand for errors so that users can troubleshoot issues themselves. Most of the time this is a simple network connectivity issue (which we're also going to try to solve using a cloud-connect feature, or something similar). The next beta (beta3) is about a month away, but will run as a service on all platforms, and will also provide useful error messages to help you solve network issues yourself.

@TheNut Thanks for your support! ❤️

@Nick Bolton Don't sweat it man, i'm just glad you're out here in the trenches, i see you and your team trying to get to everyone, and that's awesome!

I'm glad you're making progress, one small thing i might like to see, is a sort of "on the fly" roadmap, a post stickied in the forum where you update with the ideas you want to implement so we get a picture of where you're trying to go with it, but that might just be me and my darn curiosity :)

About the hidden log, i can't get it to show, but i don't know if it might be because i'm on a nordic layout keyboard, and the tilde is hidden behind an alternativ functions key.

The thing at the utmost top of my wishlist though, is a button to remove PC's from the software, as i think that might be where my problem stems from. Is that feature in beta3 or is there any other way to reset the connected PC's list?

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Yeah, there's going to be a way to remove computers from your config. We wanted to make sure people needed that (and also to figure out why) before we added it. Out of curiosity, how come you need to remove a computer?

As for the on the fly roadmap sticky thread, I'll look into it, but the danger is that it can quickly get out of sync and cause confusion. We do have an internal roadmap, however. Here's a quick screenshot so you can have a glimpse (but this isn't set in stone)...

595e15a83a738_ScreenShot2017-07-06at11_48_49.thumb.png.bba80d07aaade4cb988e6725bcee5850.png

I can see the danger of the roadmap, so it makes sense not to do it, but thank you for sharing your list, it looks good. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us :)

The removing part: I have added a picture so it is easier to follow along.
The red circle is my desktop pc (New name).
The black circle is my laptop (New name).
The green circle is the old name for the laptop (i am actually not sure why it is called Jonas-PC, the old name was "Laptop-StandartLongName" and i wanted to change that, which started the whole error thing).
The blue circle is my dekstop before i changed the PC-Name (i did this to try and recreate the error i got with the laptop, where the old name stayed and the new name wouldn't connect, and recreate it i did).

So now i would like to remove the two old names to avoid confusion, and maybe remove the two new names, to try and reset the entire connection tree. (I also plan on adding a linux laptop as soon as i get the two first to work)

Hope that made sense, english isn't my first language so explaining complicated things can be difficult, if it didn't make sense just ask again ;)

Capture.PNG

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Ah, I see! Actually, we're adding a feature to solve this: when you rename your computers, Synergy will automatically update to use the new computer's name (so you won't have the old screen name left hanging around). Also, we're going to allow people to rename computers from within Synergy, so you don't need to change your system preferences (which can be a bit of a hassle).