Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

synergys could not be successfully started, although it does exist.

Hey forum,

I'm running OSX 10.9.5 on a late 2009 Macbook Pro.

My problem is that I cannot start the synergy server. The Synergy application runs fine, but when the server tries to boot I get this error message in a system dialog box:

The executable
/Applications/Synergy.app/Contents/MacOS/synergys
could not be successfully started, although it does exist. Please check if you have sufficient permissions to run this program.

under System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Accessibility, Synergy is listed and its checkbox is ticked.

Tried with both 10.8.5 stable, as well as latest 10.8.8 stable versions of Synergy with the same negative result.

Attempting to launch synergys from a terminal with

$ ./synergys --config ~/bin/dotfiles/synergy/synergy.conf --debug DEBUG --no-daemon

logs the following:

[2017-07-03T14:10:54] DEBUG: opening configuration "/my_path_obscured/synergy.conf"
[2017-07-03T14:10:54] DEBUG: configuration read successfully
[2017-07-03T14:10:54] DEBUG: screen shape: center=-277,-1440 size=2560x2340 on 2 displays
[2017-07-03T14:10:54] FATAL: An error occurred: assistive devices does not trust this process, allow it in system settings.

and now I'm out of ideas. Maybe you have some suggestions as to what I can do to solve the problem?

If you need any further information, don't hesitate to ask :)

Edited by hanscz

And I found a solution (on this forum, no less - note to self: be more thorough in your search before posting a question)

Paul Suarez

Hi @hanscz. Sorry for the late reply on this thread. Thanks for updating us as well on the status of your concern. Have a great day!

• 1 year later...

I had the same issue trying to switch from the GUI app to command line. The steps on the tread cited didn't help. I solved it by adding my terminal app (iTerm) to Security & Privacy > Accessibility.