Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2.0?

Ian Brigo-Hansen

I was wondering if you as a basic synergy user also have acces to the synergy 2.0 when it comes out? Or do you need to upgrade or buy it again to continue using it?

Claudius Ellsel

I think they changed my license to only cover Synergy Pro 1. I thought I would get all future versions for free?

Claudius Ellsel

In addition: There was also a FAQ stating:

Will I need to buy again for every new version?

No, you won't need to keep buying, you have lifetime access.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Christopher Strickland

Yes I'm wondering about this as well.  Any comment from the symless @Nick Bolton?  I'm not sure what the feature set of Synergy 2 is other than being "easier to use", but I quite like the verbose logging displayed on the current version and I haven't seen any other features listed.  Plus I recently bought my pro edition with a life-long license, so I thought the same thing @Claudius Ellsel did, that we would receive all updates, but whether a new version is included is unclear.  Please let us know while the early access promo is still active so I can decide how to proceed.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Don't worry guys, I have a plan to make you happy. I can't give you specifics right now, but you'll have to trust me that it'll all work out.

Kelvin Tran

@Christopher Strickland I think we're all as stoked as you potentially are as to the plan that @Nick Bolton has to make the non-early access Synergy 1 users happy, but to answer your other question, the early access is still available for $5 and that, according to Symless, is going to cover the final release of Synergy 2 Pro. You can download that here. Enjoy!

Edited by kelvintechie
  • Like 1

Looks like a money grab to me, licence changed on the purchase page...

2017-06-06: Lifetime Access

June-20170606.thumb.png.60e559fbf51c0efd7617f646ab9d4ca1.png

2017-08-13: Lifetime Access to Synergy 1

5990d6fbb6788_PurchaseNow.thumb.png.41a6402ed6862aa53ce94776c58144c7.png

Kelvin Tran

I'm not defending Symless here, but instead, looking at this from an objective standpoint.

You can't dismiss the possibility that the idea of having Synergy 2 came up after June 6th. I get that it's unlikely, but the possibility still remains. When they said that you would have "Lifetime access", perhaps they hadn't thought of the possibility of Synergy 2 and thought to change it to what you see now. Additionally, @Nick Bolton promised something that would make the Synergy 1 users less frustrated about the new stipulation. Perhaps he's planning some freebies (?). Let's hope!

• Like 1
Kelvin Tran

Additionally, Symless has grown into a substantially larger company than it once was, and sure, you can gripe about the unexpected change in the licensing, but they have real mouths to feed. Real salaries to pay. And while, again, I'm not on anyone's side here while commenting here, that FAQ post may have been written when they had, maybe, only 2 or 3 people to pay. But if you give everyone lifetime access to all future versions, they're not going to make a substantial enough profit out of it to pay the salaries of their employees, so it makes sense that they had done this. You all are frustrated because you had bought that under the assumption that it would be "free forever" (which is non-existent in business). But what if they had told you upfront that you would have to buy future versions at a discounted price? I'd imagine most of you would still buy into it, so the frustration here makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

The lifetime access policy change only applies to newer users. Not if you paid more than about 2 months ago.

• Like 1

So I know I purchased Synergy much more than two months ago and would like to have a few questions clarified for me by someone from the Symless team @Nick Bolton 

Do I have or will I have access to Synergy 2?

If I bought Pro will I also get "Pro" in Synergy 2? 

Do I have access to the beta or only the full released version?

When will the licenses show up on my account?

Edited by And
Christopher Strickland
On 8/13/2017 at 11:05 PM, kelvintechie said:

Additionally, Symless has grown into a substantially larger company than it once was, and sure, you can gripe about the unexpected change in the licensing, but they have real mouths to feed. Real salaries to pay. And while, again, I'm not on anyone's side here while commenting here, that FAQ post may have been written when they had, maybe, only 2 or 3 people to pay. But if you give everyone lifetime access to all future versions, they're not going to make a substantial enough profit out of it to pay the salaries of their employees, so it makes sense that they had done this. You all are frustrated because you had bought that under the assumption that it would be "free forever" (which is non-existent in business). But what if they had told you upfront that you would have to buy future versions at a discounted price? I'd imagine most of you would still buy into it, so the frustration here makes absolutely no sense.

I agree, and that's mostly why I want to know my options before the $5 promo is finished, not necessarily that I want everything for free.  Anyway, I trust that this good company will take care of us and their own.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
13 hours ago, And said:

Do I have or will I have access to Synergy 2?

You will.

13 hours ago, And said:

If I bought Pro will I also get "Pro" in Synergy 2?

All users who buy early access get Pro, no matter what.

13 hours ago, And said:

Do I have access to the beta or only the full released version?

You'll have access to both.

13 hours ago, And said:

When will the licenses show up on my account?

To be announced.

Venkat Vadlamudi
On 8/14/2017 at 11:45 AM, Venkat Vadlamudi said:

I recently bought synergy(Pro) license just a week ago do I need to buy the license again if the version 2.o was released.

Do I need to signup for the early bird to get the version 2.0 can someone from synergy confirm ??

Kelvin Tran

I'm not a Synergy employee, but I will just reply to your post. They have confirmed in another discussion that you can get Synergy 2 if you don't sign up for the early beta, although at a much higher price (they said starting at $49). They also said, however, that Synergy 1 users that don't have the early access will have to pay, but Nick will do something that will make them happy. Again, some of my info. may be inaccurate, so best to confirm with Symless. Just providing a quicker reply than the guys at Symless might give though.

• Like 1

From my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, if you bought your copy more than two months ago, which I assume is when the license changed to only be for Synergy 1, you will be given Synergy 2 at some point to be announced.

If, however, you bought your copy of Synergy within the last two months when the license changed you will have to purchase synergy 2 either in early access or when it is released. 

Again this is what I have come to the conclusion of given the information I have gathered and read, but this information may be inaccurate or wrong and if it is please let me know as I would love to have more certainty on this topic.

• Like 1

I think some patience is in order.  Nick has said that those of us that purchased more than 2 months ago will be taken care of, and I'm inclined to accept that at face value.  Gives them time to work everything out.  They are balancing a lot of things, with a pretty small organization, and producing a pretty useful tool at the same time.  

From what I've seen, so far, all we're being asked for is patience (at least that's my interpretation from Nick's posts), and I think they deserve that, so let's give them a bit of a break before getting bent out of shape.  Personally, I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig (tester) for new things so I'm not opposed to updating to the beta; but since part of what I bought was that "lifetime" access, I'm waiting to see how everything shakes out.  Patience isn't a bad thing, they'll work more stuff out, and waiting never really hurt anyone.  

This team has been pretty good so far, and I have no reason to believe they won't continue to be. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
Kelvin Tran

You must pay for Synergy 2 Pro access, early access beta or final release. @Nick Bolton has at least alluded to the fact that there will be a special discount for licensed Synergy 1 users, but there will be a separate charge to upgrade to Synergy 2 from Synergy 1. 

Claudius Ellsel

To my understanding, all users of Synergy 1 Pro (who bought earlier than about two months ago) have the right to get Synergy 2 Pro for free. At least that was what the license said before it was changed silently.