Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy Has Gone Berserk

I was happily using Synergy before the SSL offer, but decided to take advantage of the upgrade. I installed 1.7 over the previous version, then discovered SSL was greyed out. That issue was eventually solved after some considerable time-wasting, but then other issues developed. In my troubleshooting, I turned on logging. When I was done, I turned logging off and it seemed to be off for a while, on both Windows 7 computers, but then turned itself on, on both computers, and is piling up huge logs even though the option is unchecked on both computers. The default installation does not offer a tray icon, so when I call up the GUI from the start menu, I have no idea how it relates to the service. It always takes forever to stop hourglassing, and seems to have unpredictable control. Every time, almost without exception that I have upgraded Synergy over the many years I have used it, I have experienced grief and hours of frustration and downtime. IMO, Synergy has worked just fine for years now -- once installed and finally working -- and in my experience the 'upgrades' are often initially a step backwards. What is really needed is better installation, better control and better documentation. An investment of time and effort in improving the user experience setting up and controlling Synergy will pay off far better in terms of consumer acceptance than time spent tweaking an already functioning product. Once (if) I get this beast under control again, using 1.6, I won't consider any upgrades again until reassured that the GUI actually works and some sort of help is available from the 'help' menus.
Ben Koenig
You are absolutely right. The latest upgrades have not gone as planned for anyone. Are there any errors you are encountering that might give the Dev team hints as to how to fix it? Until users tell them the errors, the solution will take much longer to implement. If you are seeing an error, please post here and we will continue from there. I'm sorry its not quite working out :(
Ben Koenig
On a brighter topic. You and someone else with issues concerning the "Free Upgrade to Pro" were having the same exact issue with a greyed out "SSL Encryption" checkbox. I noticed that both of your Forum accounts are still in the "Synergy Basic" group, the version without SSL. If the registration system links it all together then maybe you can't really access all the features according to the server? I could be totally wrong but I thought it was worth throwing it out there. A lot of the other folks here are listed on the Forum as "Synergy Pro". Maybe it is something an Admin can look into?
eddie dilanchian
I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING NOW MY QUESTION IS MY MOUSE INSTEAD OF GOING FROM THE SCREEN ON MY LEFT (SERVER) TO MY SCREEN ON THE RIGHT I CANT I HAVE TO GO FROM LEFT SO I WILL SEE IT ON THE RIGHT SCREEN HOW CAN I SWITCH THAT ?
Isabel Averill
I give up. I shouldn't have ever upgraded. I've been using Synergy for months. I really enjoyed it. And now every time I start the client or the server process, I get a whole new series of errors. Some Google has never even seen. passive ssl error limit exceeded: 100001 failed to init synwinhk.dll failed to start failed to launch process started but command is empty, shutting down failed to connect to server: Timed out I can't even consider fixing it because every single time I do anything a new error pops up. Turn SSL on. Turn SSL off. Uninstall. Reinstall. Allow synergys.exe. Allow synergyc.exe. I've lost hours of my life on a tiny little utility that made it easier for a brief time. I'm done.
Ashley Abraham
I am having the same issue, updated it to the latest stable version and nothing is working... getting the same error as the others in the server and getting the following errors in the client... log from client system: activeDesktop:Default ERROR: failed to verify server certificate fingerprint activeDesktop:Default ERROR: passive ssl error limit exceeded: 100001 ERROR: failed to connect secure socket I am using Windows 7 64-bit system for both server and client, I have the Synergy Pro and upgraded to synergy-v1.7.3-stable-efd0108-Windows-x64.msi ... Please help!
Dana Nickerson
1.7.3 running SSL still is not stable. It works for about 5 minutes then fails with this error. The only way to get synergy working again is to disable SSL. NOTE: server is dead WARNING: failed to connect to server: server is not responding NOTE: connecting to '192.168.0.250': 192.168.0.250:24800 ERROR: passive ssl error limit exceeded: 100001 ERROR: failed to connect secure socket NOTE: disconnected from server NOTE: stopped client
> I noticed that both of your Forum accounts are still in the "Synergy Basic" group, Sorry. This forum topic apparently did not subscribe me although I was sure I did request it. Actually, my aim in using Synergy is to never have to think about Synergy, and when it works, I don't. To answer the question, though, I am back in basic because I totally un-installed Synergy 1.7, rebooted all machines, ran a cleaner and reinstalled a 1.6 version that had worked for me previously. Thankfully, it worked, right off, so I stopped thinking about Synergy. Unless I am actually developing a project, if I ever have to think about software, IMO it is not working the way it should. However, after getting an email about 1.73, I remembered posting here and came back to find messages on this thread. I finally managed to stop Synergy from building huge log files on two machines in spite of the 'log' checkbox box being unchecked and that was the only issue after stepping back, so I am happy for now and plan to completely forget about Synergy until the next time it acts up. Thanks.
An update: I am travelling with one of the laptops which has Synergy running. I did not attempt to stop it as normally I have never had an issue, however, even after removing Synergy 1.7 and dropping back to an old version, I found that after not doing so for hours under observation, my computer was again building a synergy log. That became obvious because one version of the log had been, at one point some days ago, in a cloud-synchronized folder, and that file had returned and grown to megabytes and was eating my cellular data to try to stay synchronized. I have no idea why that log file, which had been killed and another started elsewhere, returned and why it could not be stopped, but I totally uninstalled Synergy again and then used "Everything" to root out all references to Synergy. Maybe this will drive a stake through the heart of the undead log file. I don't obviously need Synergy right now since the other computers are thousands of miles away. I suppose I'll have to install again when I get home and data is cheap and see if I can solve this issue -- or go to Mouse Without Borders again since all my machines are presently running Windows. The lesson here: if I ever get a trouble-free installation of Synergy again, I'll never be tempted to upgrade it -- ever. Too painful.
Delos Wilbur
1.73 has been a disappointment for me also. Same problems as listed in this post and also a runaway synergyd process that often will chew up 30%+ CPU on Windows 8.1 system. Will also be going back to just regular 1.6 stable non-pro build Kind of ironic that often the nice little utilities that are free work great then you contribute/pay some money and it all goes downhill :-)
eddie dilanchian
mine working fine after restart old version will not update happy with this the only thing bothers me that my mouse i have to drag it from left to right to enter the screen on my right which is annoying dont know what to change .any one has issue
Christopher Arena
What about this message: [code] *** WARNING *** The program 'synergy' uses the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi. *** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi! *** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=synergy> *** WARNING *** The program 'synergy' called 'DNSServiceRegister()' which is not supported (or only supported partially) in the Apple Bonjour compatibility layer of Avahi. *** WARNING *** Please fix your application to use the native API of Avahi! *** WARNING *** For more information see <http://0pointer.de/avahi-compat?s=libdns_sd&e=synergy&f=DNSServiceRegister> ("-f", "--no-tray", "--debug", "DEBUG", "--name", "innovate", "--enable-crypto", "--log", "/tmp/synergy.log", "-c", "/tmp/qt_temp.T22554", "--address", "192.168.20.52:24802") [/code] Is there a solution to this? I can't get a GUI to come out to configure it; maybe that's unrelated to the above output? Thanks, Chris
Well, I arrived home and Synergy installed on my portable (Win 7) would not work with my home computers, so after wasting several hours, I installed 1.73 Stable. That did not work either, so I located the server's temp config file written by the "configure interactively" "Configure Server" button, saved it, tried to use it as a config file and found it threw all sorts of errors in debug2. The text file [i]looked[/i] okay in Notepad, but when cut and pasted into Metapad, it was full of hidden junk. I cleaned it up, rewrote it, and pointed the server to it. Bingo! I installed 1.73 on the other machines and Bob's your uncle. I did not attempt to turn on SSL, seeing as I have a working setup and don't need any more tar-babies today. (The other advantage of using the config file (Besides the fact that it actually works) is that the cursor can go all the way around and round.) Here is my simple config, for three computers -- baby mom dad -- saved as a plain text file named Synergy.sgc. Mom is the server. Hope it saves someone from suicide.: section: screens mom: dad: baby: end section: links mom: right = dad left = baby dad: right = baby left = mom baby: left = dad right = mom end
eddie dilanchian
older version works reaaly good 1.6 i downgraded that now my only issue is the screen to move the mouse from screen on the left to the right screen i cant drag it i have to go all the way the mouse from far left side to enter the screen on the right .