Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Can't install on client

I bought Synergy Basic and installed it on the server. I went to install it on the first client. I told it to auto configure. When I checked the auto configure box, it said that I needed to install Bonjour. I did that, but then the Bonjour box said "not responding". I uninstalled Synergy and tried again, but I got the same error. How do I fix it?

I removed the old version from the first client and installed the new version. This time it was able to install Bonjour. The client says that it connected to the server.  However, I'm not able to set up hotkeys to switch between computers.  I went to Server Configuration, Hotkeys tab.  I decided to use alt-0 to switch to the server and alt-1 to switch to the first client (the first of several).  I added the new keystrokes, then I went over to actions, with each keystroke highlighted and added actions.  For alt-0 the action is SwitchToScreen( server name) and for alt-1 the action is SwitchToScreen( first client name), but the hotkey doesn't switch to the client.  What am I doing wrong?

Paul Suarez

Can you post your configuration file for me to try and analyze what seems to be stopping it from doing what you wanted to happen?

section: screens
    BB:
        halfDuplexCapsLock = false
        halfDuplexNumLock = false
        halfDuplexScrollLock = false
        xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false
        switchCorners = none
        switchCornerSize = 0
    Phi:
        halfDuplexCapsLock = false
        halfDuplexNumLock = false
        halfDuplexScrollLock = false
        xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false
        switchCorners = none
        switchCornerSize = 0
end

section: aliases
end

section: links
    BB:
        right = Phi
    Phi:
        left = BB
end

section: options
    relativeMouseMoves = false
    screenSaverSync = false
    win32KeepForeground = false
    clipboardSharing = true
    switchCorners = none
    switchCornerSize = 0
    keystroke(Alt+0) = switchToScreen(BB)
    keystroke(Alt+1) = switchToScreen(Phi)
end

Paul Suarez

Have you defined as to which screen those keystrokes will be implement? Like "keystroke(Alt+0) = switchToScreen(BB)," have you set this to be implemented only when your in "Phi" screen?

BB is the server and Phi is the first client.  I set the keystrokes on the server but not on the client.  I'll do that.

There doesn't seem to be a way to set the keystrokes on the client.  Maybe I'm not doing it correctly, but the config file says:

keystroke(Alt+0) = switchToScreen(BB)
    keystroke(Alt+1) = switchToScreen(Phi)

One thing - I have these two computers on a KVM switch - could that matter?  I have other computers around the house that are not on the KVM switch, but they are on their own switch.

Edited by JudMac
new info
Paul Suarez

Have you used the numbers on the numpad when you added the hotkeys? Are you using the numbers on the numpad when keying in the hotkeys? Have you tried keying it in using the numbers on top instead of the numpad keys?

I'm pretty sure that I used the numbers on the top all of the time.  I just deleted the alt-1 and redid it, using the top, and then tested it, but it still didn't work.

Paul Suarez

Can you post screenshots of the hotkeys tab on your server configuration interface? I just tried setting the same thing on my setup and it works fine for me.O.o

I have the second one highlighted.  When the first one is highlighted, it shows switch to BB.

I have these two computers on a KVM sqitch - could that matter?

Synergy hotkeys.jpg

Paul Suarez

That might really matter. Anyways, what is that failed registration of hotkey (screenshot)? What is that for?

That screenshot was a message I received.

Notice that the log says that it connected to Phi (the first client).

I have three computers in my office on a KVM switch and eight upstairs on another KVM switch.  I want to be able to control all of them from my main computer because I need to swap files, run programs, etc.  I could probably do without the KVM switch on these three computers, but I need it on the others for when I'm up there doing things, like rebooting, etc.