Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Failed to connect to server: Time out

Hi,

I'm having problems connecting my Windows 10 laptop (server) to my Windows 7 PC (client). I probably have to mention that the PC is managed by the University IT Team. Both the PC and laptop are connected to the same network, I added the screen name of the PC in the server configuration window, I even disabled the firewall in my computer, but I'm still getting the same Warning: failed to connect to server: Time out.

I checked with our IT services team, and I asked them to change the firewall setting in my PC to allow Synergy to access it, but that didn't change anything.

Do you have any ideas what could be wrong?

Please find in the attachments the screenshots of the Synergy windows in both computers.

Thanks 

Gerardo

client.PNG

Server.JPG

Paul Suarez

Hi @Gerardo. First thing is that the machines try to look for each other in a 169.254.x.x network. That network is actually not a valid network. Addresses that starts with 169.254.x.x is from APIPA.

Next is the subnet where each machine is currently on. One machine is on 172.23.x.x while the other one is on 137.222.x.x. There could be communication limitations set to it by your school's network admin. You can try verifying that by pinging the other machine using the other one. Do it on both to make sure they can communicate with each other.

If you can successfully ping each other then proceed below.

What you can do is to set an interface on the server machine for it to use the valid IP address it currently have (172.23.x.x).

1. Click Edit
  2. Click Settings
  3. Type in the valid IP address in the box next to Interface
  4. Click OK
  5. Click Apply or Start

Let us know how it goes.;)

I asked our IT service team, and they said:

"It looks like this wont work between your laptop on wifi and a University managed desktop.
As far as we can tell, both devices need to be on the same network."

Does it mean that there's nothing else I can do?

Paul Suarez

Can you ask your IT team if the managed desktop uses an assigned IP address for it to be on the University network? Ask them if you can have a wireless router that you'll connect to the Ethernet port where your desktop is connected to. Then you can connect another Ethernet cable from that router to your desktop and connect your laptop to the wireless network that the router generates. If that allows you to still access the University network, then that'll work for you. But if that is not applicable, Synergy might not really work for your setup.