JDDoesIT

Get it HARD!!!

3 posts in this topic

Have you ever thought of going from software to hardware? I'm talking of producing a small footprint device (size of a 5-port desktop switch) where you plug in the input devices up front and you can connect to several networks on the back... So instead of the server being a machine, the device acts as the server.

In the front there are 4 USB ports for connecting your input devices. I say 4 over the typical 2 because I use a mouse, keyboard, gaming pad and tablet in my current setup and I would imagine there are others that do something similar.

In the back there are 4 10/100/1000 network ports that allow you to configure each to connect (static or dynamic) to a different network.

The configuration interface would be web-based.

Of course there are a LOT more specs to go in here, but I did not want to take the time to list them unless it was generally accepted that this was something you would be interested in.

IPKVM_Rear.jpg

IPKVM_Front.jpg

Interesting. But what advantage would this have over a pure software solution? Could it somehow compensate for the convenience of simply downloading a program?

Good question. Here are just two:

• There is a post in another thread where the user needs to connect two machines that are on different networks in the same location. I run into this with some of my clients.
  • It removes the breaking of the system when the server freezes or needs to be rebooted.
  • Should boost performance as 100% of the CPU space will be dedicated to this functionality.