Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Create boundaries for multiple monitor setups

Go to solution Solved by Paul Suarez,

I have a x3 monitor "server" and a single monitor client on top of the middle monitor of my x3. I want to make the left and right monitors not register as the top of the server and send the mouse to the client. Only have the middle monitor allow switching. Is this possible? Hope the picture makes it clearer.

Thanks,
Derek

synergy-setup.jpg

Paul Suarez

Hi @Derek. Setting "dead corners" might help you on this.

1. Click Configure Server...
  2. Double-click your server's screen
  3. Put a check mark for Top-left and Top-right
  4. Set the corner size
  5. Click OK for it to be saved as your server's screen settings
  6. Click OK for it to be saved as server configuration settings
  7. Click Apply for it to be implemented

* Corner size should be the first value on your screen resolution for it to cover the whole top portion of your server's 1st and 3rd monitor.

Thanks for the help @Paul Suarez. If all monitors are 1920x1080 what should the corner be? I can max it at 99. I would have thought 1920 would be it.

Edited by Derek
More information
Paul Suarez
24 minutes ago, Derek said:

Thanks for the help @Paul Suarez. If all monitors are 1920x1080 what should the corner be? I can max it at 99. I would have thought 1920 would be it.

Oops... My bad @Derek. Let me check on it first.

Paul Suarez

Hey @Derek! I found a way on how you can change the corner size to any value!

After following all the steps I told you to do earlier (except having the corner size value correctly, set it to 99 just for saving something on it), do this....

1. Make sure to hit apply first so that changes reflects on Synergy
  2. Click File (on top)
  3. Click Save configuration as...
  4. Save the configuration file on a folder which you can access easily (desktop would be fine)
  5. After saving, open the configuration file with Notepad
  6. Under section:screens you should see "switchCornerSize = 99" listed under the server's screen name
    you can edit that and set it to "switchCornerSize = 1920" and save it
  7. Go back to Synergy and select Use existing configuration and browse the configuration file you have edited and choose it
  8. Click Apply

Let us know how it goes. ;)

• Solution
Paul Suarez

Hey @Derek. I think I got a better idea on how we you can set it up the way you want it to be.

1. Select Configure interactively again
  2. Click Configure Server...
  3. Double-click your server's screen
  4. Set everything normally (remove the dead corners and corner size)
  5. Click OK for it to be saved as your server's screen settings
  6. Click OK for it to be saved as server configuration settings
  7. Click Apply for it to be implemented
  8. Click File (on top)
  9. Click Save configuration as...
  10. Save the configuration file on a folder which you can access easily (desktop would be fine)
  11. After saving, open the configuration file with Notepad
  12. Under section: links you should see "serverScreenName: up = clientScreenName"
    you can edit it and set it to "serverScreenName: up(33,66) = clientScreenName(0,100)" and save it
  13. Go back to Synergy and select Use existing configuration and browse the configuration file you have edited and choose it
  14. Click Apply

Let me know how this one goes.;)

• Thanks 1

Hey @Paul Suarez,

This worked! I did have to make a slight adjustment. You had me change serverScreenName: up(33,66) = clientScreenName(0,100) which worked for the server going to the client, but was still having the issue of the client going back to the server and going to either the left or right monitor depending on mouse position. I made another adjustment: clientScreenName: down(0,100)serverScreenName(33,66). Now it's working as I wanted it!

Thanks again for the help and figuring this out for me. Really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Derek

Adam Plocher

I had a very similar request not too long ago (well an identical request, I should say).
https://symless.com/forums/topic/1989-awareness-of-individual-screen-geometry/#comment-5900

Just like you, I have 3 bottom monitors which are my main ones (on my docking station/laptop), and then a Linux server monitor above it.  It's very disorienting to have your mouse cursor come down on the right monitor when it's on the right side of the top Monitor, of the left monitor, etc...

It's great to see that it can be done at least through the conf files, I'm gonna give it a try. 

It would be great if the GUI had an awareness of individual monitors, since that's really what this is about...  Kinda like the Windows (or most Linux DM's) ability to take multiple monitors and drag them around and have them slightly offset to reflect your actual physical monitor configuration.

Thanks!...

• Paul Suarez pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
ChunkLady

This kinda works, but it has a problem with mac Spaces. If you have different spaces on each screen, the dock will move and "down" will only work on your main monitor. I have a monitor setup like this:

MMM MMM
MMMM  MMM MMM
MMMM  WWW WWW
      WWW WWW

Where M is MAC and W is Windows. The Server runs on Mac. I have five monitors in total:

222 333
1111 222 333
1111 444 555
     444 555

Monitor 1,2,3 are MAC, monitor 4,5 is Windows.  The problem is, monitor 1,2,3 have "different spaces". When having different spaces, you can full-screen netflix on one monitor, and still work on the others - this is a very normal mac setup. But, with different spaces comes a movable Dock. If i configure Synergy to go DOWN from mac to windows and UP from windows to mac, nothing happens on screen 2 or 3 - but screen 1 will go to screen 4/5 AFTER the dock has moved to either 2 or 3. When i go UP on windows (4 & 5), it will ALWAYS go to screen 1 on mac.

This is extremely confusing and pretty much not usable. Also, in this setup "RIGHT" on mac (1,2,3) is ALWAYS only right on monitor 3 for some reason - its not possible for me to set 60% of right on monitor 1 to go to windows.

Most of these problems would probably be fixable if synergy worked with monitors and not only "entities/computers". @Paul Suarez - got any hints for my setup?

I would be happy if just movement from 2 & 3 worked seamless to 4 & 5. Unfortuanetly going from 4 & 5 and UP, returns me to screen 1 - and moving the mouse down on 2 & 3, just moves the dock :( 

Edited by ChunkLady

I have a slightly different problem. I have a three-screen Linux box arranged as an "L", a mac and a PC. Is there any way I can do logical moves between the mac and the Linux screens? 

The arrangement is roughly:

mmm LLL

ppp LLLL  LLL

• Nick Bolton unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Ok, this topic is information that needs to be added to the official knowledgebase. It works on the current version (1.8.8).

Here's another example of how I used the instructions here to setup my setup. I have 3 monitors arranged in a row on my primary system. The center monitor is a 4k monitor, the other two are 1080p monitors. I have a secondary system with a 1080p monitor that I wanted to put above the right 1080p monitor, but not the other monitors on the primary system. In order to do this I had to treat each of the 1080p monitors and each half of the 4k monitor as 25% of the screen size.

How Synergy is setup:

SS

PP PP PP PP

I only configured two screens in the Interactive screen ("Configure Sever"). I saved out the config file and then went into it with notepad and changed the lines

ODIN:
down = THOR
THOR:
up = ODIN

where THOR is my primary system and ODIN is my secondary system. To put ODIN's single screen in the configuration pictured above I changed the lines to this:

ODIN:
down(0,100) = THOR(75,100)
THOR:
up(75,100) = ODIN(0,100)

Essentially 100% of the bottom of ODIN is the right most 25% of the top of THOR. Works exactly how I wanted it to work. Thank you for leading me down the right path @Paul Suarez. Hope this further helps anyone looking to setup a similar setup.

@Kim SJ

I don't believe it is possible to configure synergy in the way you want....there's no way to bend the corner of the L. You could however assign it to one side of the L like these examples:

mm

LLL

ppp LLLL  LLL

link code:

MAC:

down(0,100) = Linux(50,100)

Linux:

up(50,100) = MAC(0,100)

left(0,100) = PC(0,100)

PC:

right(0,100) = Linux(0,100)

Depending on the size of that right screen on the Linux pc, you might be able to configure a portion of the left side to go to the PC and the other portion of the Left side to go to the MAC, but if the screensizes are different resolutions, you might run into problems. Again, hope this helps.

Edited by Thor
20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ok, this topic is information that needs to be added to the official knowledgebase. It works on the current version (1.8.8).

Here's another example of how I used the instructions here to setup my setup. I have 3 monitors arranged in a row on my primary system. The center monitor is a 4k monitor, the other two are 1080p monitors. I have a secondary system with a 1080p monitor that I wanted to put above the right 1080p monitor, but not the other monitors on the primary system. In order to do this I had to treat each of the 1080p monitors and each half of the 4k monitor as 25% of the screen size.

How Synergy is setup:

SS

PP PP PP PP

I only configured two screens in the Interactive screen ("Configure Sever"). I saved out the config file and then went into it with notepad and changed the lines

ODIN:
down = THOR
THOR:
up = ODIN

where THOR is my primary system and ODIN is my secondary system. To put ODIN's single screen in the configuration pictured above I changed the lines to this:

ODIN:
down(0,100) = THOR(75,100)
THOR:
up(75,100) = ODIN(0,100)

Essentially 100% of the bottom of ODIN is the right most 25% of the top of THOR. Works exactly how I wanted it to work. Thank you for leading me down the right path @Paul Suarez. Hope this further helps anyone looking to setup a similar setup.

@Kim SJ

I don't believe it is possible to configure synergy in the way you want....there's no way to bend the corner of the L. You could however assign it to one side of the L like these examples:

mm

LLL

ppp LLLL  LLL

link code:

MAC:

down(0,100) = Linux(50,100)

Linux:

up(50,100) = MAC(0,100)

left(0,100) = PC(0,100)

PC:

right(0,100) = Linux(0,100)

Depending on the size of that right screen on the Linux pc, you might be able to configure a portion of the left side to go to the PC and the other portion of the Left side to go to the MAC, but if the screensizes are different resolutions, you might run into problems. Again, hope this helps.

(after my first edit I couldn't edit any further)

To change the setup in that way the configuration would change to this:

MAC:

down(0,100) = Linux(0,50)

right(0,100) = Linux(50,100)

Linux:

up(0,50) = MAC(0,100)

left(0,50) = PC(0,100)

left(50,100) = MAC(0,100)

PC:

right(0,100) = Linux(0,50)

This is completely untested but the only way I could see bending the L as @Kim SJ wanted to do:

mmm LLL

ppp LLLL  LLL

To synergy it would essentially view it in two ways:

mm LLLL  LLL

ppp LLLL  LLL

and 

mm 

LLLL  LLL

ppp LLLL  LLL

Not even sure that synergy will understand multiple left commands for the Linux computer...it may bomb out on that and refuse to load the configuration. If it doesn't that should configure in the way you want. As I said, there  may be issues with relative screen sizes and resolutions. Again, hope this helps people figure out the weird configurations that Synergy doesn't support natively (but did at one point in the past before it was commercialized). At least the percentage based configuration is still in the code.

Edited by Thor
  • 1 year later...

Mind helping me? 

Here is my config:

section: screens
	Zenbook-Michael:
		halfDuplexCapsLock = false
		halfDuplexNumLock = false
		halfDuplexScrollLock = false
		xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false
		switchCorners = none 
		switchCornerSize = 0
	DESKTOP-B0M657V:
		halfDuplexCapsLock = false
		halfDuplexNumLock = false
		halfDuplexScrollLock = false
		xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false
		switchCorners = none 
		switchCornerSize = 0
end

section: aliases
end

section: links
	Zenbook-Michael:
		right = DESKTOP-B0M657V(50,100)
	DESKTOP-B0M657V:
		left(50,100) = Zenbook-Michael(0,100)
end

section: options
	relativeMouseMoves = false
	screenSaverSync = true
	win32KeepForeground = false
	disableLockToScreen = false
	clipboardSharing = true
	clipboardSharingSize = 3072
	switchCorners = none 
	switchCornerSize = 0
end

My setup is attached in a picture.
My server is the top 3 monitors and the middle bottom monitor. That middle bottom is the primary monitor in windows.

The bottom left is the other computer that I'm trying to control with synergy.

All monitors are 1920x1080

I emailed synergy support, but they haven't replied or even sent a message that it was received. (those automatic response emails are suuuuper helpful)

I used the information that you guys discussed here to try and help, but it didn't help with my setup.

Is it not possible with the way my monitors are laid out? Do I need to put all 4 of my server monitors in a row in windows?

Thanks!

2018-10-01 17.49.17.jpg