Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Crashes on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I am currently using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. The first time I installed Synergy via `dpkg -i` the downloaded .deb file. When I tried to start the app, it kept crashing so I `dpkg -purge` it and reinstalled. Currently when starting the app, the Synergy icon appears and after loading for a while, it just disappears without crashing or anything.

Paul Suarez
On 6/10/2017 at 8:44 PM, Andrew Nelless said:

@Sandro is there any particular reason you want to compile Synergy yourself? The recommended Synergy version right now is v1.9-rc3 available from the thread linked below. There is a native build for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS there

However, if you want to build Synergy yourself I recommend you checkout the v1.9 branch from GitHub as it is a lot easier to build with CMake directly. Compile instructions will be updated once v1.9 is moved in to master.

Hi @Huey. I tried to do a bit more research on this and saw that V1.9-rc3 works great with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Please try it.;)

The same error still persists. By the way, when I tried to start the app via command line interface, I got this error:

> This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb".

> Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
> [1]    12579 abort (core dumped)  synergy

I got another error though, I can't connect my OS X as client to Ubuntu as server. I do, however, be able to connect OS X as client to my Windows 10 as server. Here is the log from the Ubuntu's Synergy app:

[2017-06-22T11:58:15] INFO: starting server

[2017-06-22T11:58:15] INFO: config file: /tmp/Synergy.wZ5774

[2017-06-22T11:58:15] INFO: log level: INFO

[2017-06-22T11:58:15] NOTE: started server, waiting for clients

When I stop the server, it does not gracefully stopping like the Windows app but show this error instead:

[2017-06-22T11:58:19] INFO: stopping synergy desktop process

[2017-06-22T11:58:19] ERROR: process exited with error code: 9

Edited by Huey
Paul Suarez

Hi @Huey. Your Ubuntu is a different machine from your Windows machine right? Or is it a dual boot machine with both Ubuntu and Windows OS?

Paul Suarez

Please post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

Paul Suarez

Can you try editing the screen name of your client machine and remove the ".local"? Make sure to edit the server configuration on your server machine as well for it to recognize the change of your client's screen name.

Paul Suarez

Can you send another set of screenshots for both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine after you have made the said changes?