sean.grogan

help told to post here

31 posts in this topic

I can't seem to get the client to connect to the host PC. I followed the steps in the you tube tutorial and the ones laid out in your getting started guide. It seems to assume that "it just works" and it clearly doesn't.

there really isn't an extended setup guide so i have no idea where to start troubleshooting.

Switching the client and server doesn't work either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @sean.grogan. Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2017 at 5:57 PM, Paul Suarez said:

Hi @sean.grogan. Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

win 10, 64 bit.  Synergy 1.9.0-rc-...  the server is by ethernet and the laptop is by wifi.  

I somehow got it connected.  no idea how.  

there is a new problem though.  when I am operating the mouse on the client computer, the latency is awfully high.  It feels like it's >100ms.  

Running speedtest.net says that my client upload/download is 95/95 Mbps with a 2ms ping and the laptop is 60/100Mbps with a 3ms ping.  Is there a reason for the insane latency?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @sean.grogan ,

Make sure that you configure it all, and you are using the full name for the device (Which is found on the screen) in the server configs, also could you further explain your latency? The connection never leaves your internal network, it only goes directly between one computer and the other, which means outward internet speed would have no bearing on this.

 

Please get back to us and we will be glad to help you!

 

Regards,

 

Mark Shaw

Edited by Mark9719

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sean.grogan said:

Is there a reason for the insane latency?

There's a lot of factors to consider on that setup. Provided that the other machine is connected via Wi-Fi. When you search for Wi-Fi networks, how may networks is it seeing? If you have firewall on your machines, might as well try disabling them and see if it gets better. The router's capability to route traffic originating within the network and going to a machine which is in the network as well (but on the wireless side) counts. Though, it would be less likely to be that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 7 Wifi networks that my laptop can see.  

If my PC's are on the same network, shouldn't the speed/latency be *better* than an offsite server?  also I've set my firewall to allow synergy 

Today the client does not seem to connect again.  

here is my server and stuff.  

 

 

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @sean.grogan,

When you are configuring the server you need to be using the "Screen Names" that are shown on the main screen of the application (If you want to change the screen names you can do this in the edit menu, then you can restart the program to use the simple screen name, make sure that you do not have more then one synergy process per computer if you are doing this, as having two processes will cause issues), if you do not do this they will not connect, also there is no need to block out your IP addresses, they are internal IP addresses and will not do anything other then hinder us to help you. Also please disable auto configuration and use the server IP instead in the Server IP box, it may prove to be more reliable, especially if there is someone else on your network using Synergy as well.

 

Regards,

 

Mark Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

typing all 4 in doesn't work as well as each one doesn't look like it works.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sean.grogan we are not able to tell what IP as you have them blocked out, we are unable to tell you what one, if you can post some more screenshots of your current configs without blacking out the IPs we will be able to give you the settings that you need.

 

Regards,

 

Mark Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark9719 said:

@sean.grogan we are not able to tell what IP as you have them blocked out, we are unable to tell you what one, if you can post some more screenshots of your current configs without blacking out the IPs we will be able to give you the settings that you need.

 

Regards,

 

Mark Shaw

Once again i said that typing in all 4 together with commas or semicolons doesn't work.  typing in each one separately doesn't work.  So I don't know which IP address I am supposed to use.  

Here is the screen with the ip addresses.  I don't see how that's going to make a difference though.  

the instructions say something about a bold ip address.  clearly none of the 4 are bolded which is apparent in the first screen as well.  

Capture2.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sean.grogan I will need to see all of the screenshots of both the client, and the server, as well as a picture of the server configuration screen, and yes normally there is a bold option but there does not seem to be in your current version since you are using non standard subnets, once you have sent this additional screenshots I will be able to help you with everything, also please make sure that you do not have more then one synergy process running, in the screenshot you sent it may appear as if there is more then one (others may be in the background) If you do not know how to check this with task manager then simply restart the computer.

 

Regards,

 

Mark Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's only one IP address which is valid there @sean.grogan(looping in @Mark9719). All of the IP with a format of 169.254.x.x are invalid. They are from APIPA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

okay.  Using the 132 Ip.  still getting a connection timeout

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sean.grogan Just to clarify that means you will need to use 132.207.xxx.xxx IP, however I notice that these are on different subnets ( .250 vs .34 ), is it possible that you have these plugged into different switches? If you do the problem may be firewall rules not allowing the subnets to communicate, if you can plug them both into the same router or switch. If one is wireless and one is wired you will need to either configure the firewall to allow them to communicate or you will need to configure them both to run on the same subnet.

 

Regards,

 

Mark Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you ping the 132 address from that machine?Post a screenshot of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Suarez said:

Can you ping the 132 address from that machine?Post a screenshot of it.

no

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark9719 said:

@sean.grogan Just to clarify that means you will need to use 132.207.xxx.xxx IP, however I notice that these are on different subnets ( .250 vs .34 ), is it possible that you have these plugged into different switches? If you do the problem may be firewall rules not allowing the subnets to communicate, if you can plug them both into the same router or switch. If one is wireless and one is wired you will need to either configure the firewall to allow them to communicate or you will need to configure them both to run on the same subnet.

 

Regards,

 

Mark Shaw

@Mark9719 is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@sean.grogan, is one device on wifi and the other one on ethernet by any chance? Also something as simple as having one on guest wifi (secondary network) and the other on a primary network will cause issues with firewall rules being between them.

 

Regards,

 

Mark Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sean.grogan said:

no

Exactly! That means the network administrator set firewall rules for the network. You can try to contact your IT team and check if they can allow your machines do that.

If I'm on that situation, I might try getting a cheap router. I'll connect the router to an Ethernet port in your office and have my devices connect on that router. This would work if there's no isolation set by network admins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mark9719 said:

@sean.grogan, is one device on wifi and the other one on ethernet by any chance? Also something as simple as having one on guest wifi (secondary network) and the other on a primary network will cause issues with firewall rules being between them.

 

Regards,

 

Mark Shaw

I don't think it's a practical way of having devices on a guest network have the same range/pool of the work network even with different subnets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul Suarez said:

I don't think it's a practical way of having devices on a guest network on the same range of the work network even with different subnets.

Hey Paul,

 

It could be just depending on how the firewall is set up, my home network is set up so they are segregated networks and no communication can happen between them, assuming it was all done properly with a decent router there wouldn't be an issue with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now