Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

failed to connect to server on 2 iMacs

yimyammer

I am having a similar issue.  I've been trying to connect all morning without any luck.  I've closed and reopened Synergy on both computers & restarted both multiple times.  Nothing is working, any suggestions?

It was working fine yesterday and most days prior but when the computers went into hibernation, Synergy wouldn't work anymore when I snapped them out of hibernation.  I have to restart one or both computers to get Synergy working again.  It would be nice if things didn't stop work when the computers go into hibernation mode.

Attached is a screenshot of both systems logs as well as how I have them arranged.

Both computers are iMacs 

Thanks in advance

SynergyIssue.jpg

Edited by yimyammer
yimyammer

and I spoke too soon, I upgraded to 1.9 on one iMac and it immediately started working.  So I went ahead and updated Synergy on the other iMac and I have the same problems as before

~ugh~

Paul Suarez

Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server).

Paul Suarez
26 minutes ago, yimyammer said:

Paul Suarez, why did you delete my posts?

I made a separate thread for you. 

Paul Suarez
1 minute ago, yimyammer said:

thank you

You're welcome @yimyammer. Please check quoted post below.

1 hour ago, Paul Suarez said:

Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server).

yimyammer
1 hour ago, Paul Suarez said:

iMac #1 (Server) - running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 <<<FYI-This iMac is too old to upgrade to Sierra>>>

iMac #2 (Client) - running macOS Sierra 10.12.5

both are on my home WIFI and are running Synergy version 1.9.0-rc3

and after restarting for the 4th or 5th time today, its working again

Paul Suarez

Thanks for the update and for sharing this @yimyammer. It's great to know that it works now. Let us know if you'd need assistance again in the future. We hope not though ;)

yimyammer
7 hours ago, Paul Suarez said:

Thanks for the update and for sharing this @yimyammer. It's great to know that it works now. Let us know if you'd need assistance again in the future. We hope not though ;)

Me neither.

Any idea why Synergy stops working after a hibernation?

Paul Suarez
7 hours ago, yimyammer said:

Me neither.

Any idea why Synergy stops working after a hibernation?

This is what it says on Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC page of Microsoft Support site (US). "Hibernate uses less power than sleep and when you start up the PC again, you’re back to where you left off (though not as fast as sleep)."

I have used tried that just right now, and it did work. I put my client machine to hibernate and waited for a few minutes. I switched it on from hibernate mode and as soon as it shows my Lock screen background picture I moved my cursor to the direction of that client screen and it works fine.

What I have set on it is the manual IP of my server machine and auto config is turned off(of course). As long as the server's IP address stays the same, it should still be able to connect back after hibernation.

yimyammer
18 minutes ago, Paul Suarez said:

This is what it says on Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC page of Microsoft Support site (US). "Hibernate uses less power than sleep and when you start up the PC again, you’re back to where you left off (though not as fast as sleep)."

I have used tried that just right now, and it did work. I put my client machine to hibernate and waited for a few minutes. I switched it on from hibernate mode and as soon as it shows my Lock screen background picture I moved my cursor to the direction of that client screen and it works fine.

What I have set on it is the manual IP of my server machine and auto config is turned off(of course). As long as the server's IP address stays the same, it should still be able to connect back after hibernation.

FYI-I'm using iMacs so I don't think this helps

Paul Suarez
13 minutes ago, yimyammer said:

FYI-I'm using iMacs so I don't think this helps

Ohhhhwwww.... O.o Well, at least I can have something new to answer when someone asks me what my most embarrassing moment was @yimyammerB| LOL

Going back to your question. . . What hibernate mode is set on your machines?

yimyammer
25 minutes ago, Paul Suarez said:

Ohhhhwwww.... O.o Well, at least I can have something new to answer when someone asks me what my most embarrassing moment was @yimyammerB| LOL

Going back to your question. . . What hibernate mode is set on your machines?

No worries, I just appreciate the timely responses.

Here are the settings for each iMac:

SYNERGY HIBERNATION.jpg

Paul Suarez

Thanks for the screenshots @yimyammer. Have you tried to check if it's only on the server or the client machine that it won't reconnect after a reboot? If it's only happening on one machine, try switching them and check for the same behavior.

yimyammer
15 hours ago, Paul Suarez said:

Thanks for the screenshots @yimyammer. Have you tried to check if it's only on the server or the client machine that it won't reconnect after a reboot? If it's only happening on one machine, try switching them and check for the same behavior.

Its always the client machine that has the failed to connect message