Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Pointer latency issues.

JamesCoyle

I decided to give synergy a go now I have a Microsoft Surface 3 and I have my desktop set up as the server. It seems to work well for the most part but often the cursor will freeze for a second and then catch up which can be pretty annoying and lead to misclicks. The typing seems to work without issue though. 

I'm obviously unable to connect via LAN which seems to be the most obvious solution. Enabling relative mouse moves in the settings seems to reduce the severity of the lag spikes but does make them more frequent so it's not as smooth but is consistent. It seems like an option to enable mouse acceleration would be helpful so the client can take the instructions from the server and smoothly animate between them if connectivity is poor.

JamesCoyle

Both are full. Unfortunately only 2.4Ghz band but not many devices are connected to the router and I've had decent results with Chrome Remote Desktop in the past. Does synergy support bluetooth communication? Both devices are located within a meter or so and both are bluetooth enabled.

Paul Suarez

Sorry but Bluetooth is not yet supported. When you scan available networks to connect to, how many networks shows up? Do you have a lot of WiFi networks in your place?

JamesCoyle

Maybe 10 or so on my desktop as it has a decent antenna but the surface is only around 4-5 usually. 

I think bluetooth would definitely make a good feature for the future as it keeps the data more localized. Seems a bit pointless sending the data out to the router and back if the devices are able to just communicate with each other directly.

JamesCoyle

It is the same on both WiFi and Ethernet. First thing I tried. Obviously I can't connect the surface via ethernet so there is always gonna be that WiFi connection. I don't mind a bit of latency but it is unusable if the mouse moves fine for a few seconds and then freezes for a second. I'd rather have it lag behind by half a second than it be inconsistent and jump around.