WJN78

Synergy over BlueTooth

4 posts in this topic

There are situations where a Laptop and a Desktop may not be on the same network for various reasons. It would be nice to allow synergy to communicate over BlueTooth.  For example I work in a secured facility and I bring my personal laptop to the office but it is not allowed and would not connect over the LAN, its allowed on the personal device network but that network is isolated.  So if I used Bluetooth then I could leverage the keyboard/mouse functionality of Synergy.

Assuming you're on Windows 10 (don't know how this translates to other versions or OSes), right click the Bluetooth tray icon, choose "Join a Personal Area Network", right click the machine you want to connect to, hover "Connect using >" and click "Direct connection". This should accomplish your goal by creating a local network using Bluetooth.

Mind updating me how well this works out? I'm curious, considering how low bandwidth Bluetooth yields.

• Like 1

I would also be interested in bluetooth, but to be able to connect to alternate devices (Android TV).  I saw a similar software offers this (http://www.acrosscenter.com/), although I have not tried it.  Maybe this is something Synergy can bring over - would be a great addition, and would open it to maybe more clients.

Hi there Samuel Tønnessen.

I just wanted to give you an update on your advice re Bluetooth personal area network as I had a similar issue of 2 devices at work... one 'non-work' and one 'work' device on different networks. I have followed your advice and it works !! Thank you very much indeed. I have synergy running and connected via the Bluetooth PAN and its brilliant. Actually feels a bit quicker than on my previous works wifi.

Simon