Keezo

Cannot connect client to server - failed to connect to server: timed out

35 posts in this topic

I had the exact same problem that the OP described; windows 10 and mac 10.10.5 with different IP's (subnets?) and the client couldn't connect.

My Windows 10 server listed several different IP's (some were off the screen, so I stretched the synergy window).

I did what estraulino suggested and it fixed it.

TLDR: on the client, enter the server IP that's not in bold and shares the same 3 initial numbers, i.e. 192.168.0.x

The only problem I have now is that on my "server" machine, clicking webpage links takes a lot longer to see the webpage.

I have fiber and clicking on links used to (before installing Synergy) show a webpage instantaneously.

Now it takes about 10 secs.

I suppose that DNS lookups are going through a new virtualbox network connection? Maybe through the client?

Can this be fixed ?

Hi, it cant connect to the server in my machine as well

win10synergy.PNG

Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 1.26.55 PM.png

I was having the same issue, trying to connect Windows 10 64 bit (server) to my Macbook Pro Mojave 2015 (client). I nearly gave up and asked for a refund but managed to connect...

• make sure the screen name are consistent across the two machines (i.e. make sure the computer names in the 'Configure Server' option tab. For example, my Window laptop is RAZER and this should also be the same on the Mac side, and vice versa)
  • I did not use the recommended auto IP configuration option
  • I did not use the recommended IP address shown in my server machine for my client to connect to... what I did was I found out the IP address my server  and just used that for my client to connect to. I did this by checking the Router setting page (i have a cheap ISP default router) and see what my IP address is.

It worked for me... i hope it does for you too.. i think the missing key here for me was that the names have to be consistent...... the software must use it as the USER ID or something... 

Hey

This is normally caused by a firewall issue. Please, could you try temporarily disabling your firewall to see if this resolves the issue? If it starts working, let me know and we can setup a rule to allow Synergy. If not, it could be that the IP address you're trying to connect to is invalid, or maybe the server isn't running. Either way, I'm happy to help.

More troubleshooting info for this issue:
https://symless.com/help/s1-troubleshooting/s1-connection-issue

I have having a similar issue.  I know it is not selinux or the firewall. I disabled selinux and the firewall and still have the same issue.  My server is a centos 7 machine and client is a windows 10 machine.  It worked up until 2 days ago when I had to reinstall my linux machine.  I have tried everything.  Below is the image of my synergy clients on the machines:

centos

synergy_centos.thumb.png.dd0039fb0cd5d862a29515f4fb08f520.png

windows 10

synergy_win10.thumb.PNG.cf0aa7d9e464eadeceafe5b6059acc97.PNG

On 2/12/2019 at 6:45 PM, sonbemi said:

I have having a similar issue.  I know it is not selinux or the firewall. I disabled selinux and the firewall and still have the same issue.  My server is a centos 7 machine and client is a windows 10 machine.  It worked up until 2 days ago when I had to reinstall my linux machine.  I have tried everything.  Below is the image of my synergy clients on the machines:

centos

synergy_centos.thumb.png.dd0039fb0cd5d862a29515f4fb08f520.png

windows 10

synergy_win10.thumb.PNG.cf0aa7d9e464eadeceafe5b6059acc97.PNG

Is the client "screen name"/hostname the same after reinstall? If no you may have to update your server config file or use interactive config to create a new config file.

Hi,

Can you please claridy updates version that you have installed on your Win client machine? 

We are aware about this problem but issue effected only on Win 10. 

So, here is short workaround : 

1. Delete latest installed updates.

2. Reinstall Synergy from Fresh. 

I'm getting the failed to connect issue on 1 of my 3 synergy systems.  
Setup is as follows:

Server - Fedora 28 (working ok)
Client 1 Windows 10 (working ok)
Client 2 Mac desktop on Mojave 10.14 (failed to connect error)

I got this error after updating OSX and Synergy the same day, so unfortunately I can't say what caused the error, but my setup was working well for about a year.  
I know my settings are correct (correct naming, and I don't use the bold suggested ip), and I have even tried to disable the firewall on OSX, but my mac is simply refusing to connect.  At this point Im just waiting for a update (or synergy 2) to be released, hoping that resolves it.  

i bought synergy to work at my office with my mac and my pc (CPU) it NEVER worked. Tried everything for months including this kind of forums. I want a refund, how can i get it? very dissapointed with the program.