Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Cannot connect client to server - failed to connect to server: timed out

Cannot connect - failed to connect to server: timed out

I've looked thought all of my settings on mac and pc and everything looks fine. firewalls etc are not blocking synergy.

Running MacOS sierra v10.12.5 and Win 10 pro v1607

PC connected though Ethernet and and Mac is connected though wifi

Paul Suarez

Please provide more details about your machines (OS, 32/64 bit, Synergy version installed, connected to the network via Ethernet or Wi-Fi, specify which one is the server). Also, post a screenshot of both machine's Synergy interface and the Server Configuration interface on your server machine.

Paul Suarez

Hi @Keezo. Your server works on 192.168.137.x network while your client machine is on 192.168.1.x network. They can't communicate that way. What connection does your Mac use?wired or wireless?

Paul Suarez
On 6/12/2017 at 2:13 AM, Keezo said:

4 days to reply and the question you asked has already been answered above twice. How do i go about getting a refund? 

Basing it on the screenshot @Keezo, your Windows machine is not only connected via wired network. It shows there that your Windows machine is connected to 192.168.137.x and 192.168.1.x. It shows there as well that Windows machine is using the 192.168.137.x networks as primary network. They can't communicate since your Mac is on 192.168.1.x network. What you can do is to disconnected your Windows from the wired network first for it to solely use the wireless network as you try to connect them on Synergy. You can just reconnect the Ethernet cable after connecting them using Synergy.

Mathieu Aubin

@Keezo

I hope you understand that the problem is on your end.

Granted not everyone has networking knowledge up to a point where they can actually do something useful of it -- not a reason to shit on the people that try to help.

The fact that 'you' sir cant get your setup to buzz ain't @Paul Suarez's problem or anyone's.

But people will help, providing you know more than which credit card you billed for this brilliant piece of software.

Questions like this/yours are normally disregarded elsewhere, for lack of substance other than 'it's not working'...

On 2017-06-06 at 7:31 PM, Keezo said:

Cannot connect - failed to connect to server: timed out

I've looked thought all of my settings on mac and pc and everything looks fine. firewalls etc are not blocking synergy.

Running MacOS sierra v10.12.5 and Win 10 pro v1607

PC connected though Ethernet and and Mac is connected though wifi

This means nothing. You clearly have no clue (let alone RESPECT) how networking works, and firewalling is probably something you are just barely grasping.

This is my opinion and my words only and they do not represent anyone else's let this be said.

I would never refund you on this one, by principle only. Nor would i refund someone who says his freezer isn't cold when he never plugged it in.

@Mathieu Aubin Its not the fact that I couldn't get the software working at first. Its the fact that they took 4 days to reply to me asking the same question I just answered. In those 4 days I fixed the issue myself. 

Mathieu Aubin

Good, that's always good to hear -- this line is genuine by the way, no sarcasm.

I'm sorry that day was a tough one. I Shouldn,t have written all i wrote and for that again, i apolo.

Now can you finally give us something substancial so as to not make this thread completely useless from first to last post rr have you already made your decision on staying the catcher, in this room full of pitchers?

Oh, i hope you didn't request for that refund right... well, i mean... now that you solved the issue and got the software to work as intended.

Thanks man

• 4 months later...

How did you fix this? I am having the same issue myself. I connected both of my pc's to the same wireless network but they are still showing different IP addresses which is causing a miscommunication between the computers. I have a windows 10 and mac 10.12.15.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just bought this after watching a Linus Tech Tips vid. This seems like a very good and even more useful product, however I am not computer savy enough to navigate this issue. I am also having trouble getting computers to connect (even with VPN turned off on both ends), and have yet to have a single successful connection between computers. My server is 64bit Windows 10 desktop, client is 64bit Windows 10 Laptop.

The log just keeps repeating:

2017-11-02T20:48:09] WARNING: failed to connect to server: Timed out

2017-11-02T20:48:09] NOTE: connecting to 'x.x.x.x' : x.x.x.x:xxxxx

2017-11-02T20:48:09] INFO: OpenSSL 1.0.02. 22 Jan 2015

If Monsieur Aubin is willing to help, may he please help (not sarcastic), or anyone else that knows how to resolve this.

PS: If anyone might also point me in the direction of a good tutorial/thread on how to get two computers each on a VPN to work together, it would be much appreciated. Thank you

PPS: My preference is to use this product, not to request a refund, so anyone in support will be appreciated and treated accordingly, because I would really like to not have to get a refund for this useful tool.

Edited by Alsatian
Mathieu Aubin

Hey man,

No need to worry, sarcasm isn't a standard feature. It just grinds my gears when respect is a one-way thing.

I can't point anything specific as far as windows is concerned as i havn't used it in ages but one thig i suggest you look at is your router/modem/firewall for any signs of blocked/restricted access. It's often assumed that a home network allows for unrestricted local communication but more often then not, there lies the root of the problem.

Are you trying to communicate over the LOCAL network (using ip addresses similar to 192.168.XXX.XXX) or are you using external network (internet, the ip provided by your ISP per example)? Connected to the same modem/router, both computers would most likely get the same external network (internet) ip address as service providers usually only attribute/deleguate one ip of their range per customers/paid subscriptions. That being said, if you had more than one, that would implie you resquested for such extra, have the extra gear and probably would have never come here looking for answers in the first place.

So, what you need to look for is those internal (local) ip addresses that were attributed to each machine upon connecting to the router/gateway. Again, something like 192.168.1.100. Actually, there truly are 3 official (correct me if i'm wrong) ip ranges that are strictly reserved to local networking. 10.XXX.XXX.XXX, 172.16.XXX.XXX and that other one, 192.168.XXX.XXX. In each machine, look for addresses that match theses and try to figure if the router/gatewaw/modem you are using to connect the machines together imposes restrictions/firewall on local network communications.

I wish i could be of more help but that 'issue' is one that, if not for fixing a simple firewall rule, requieres a bit more informations to troubleshoot. At least on my end.

(if you got lost at local network and such, i suggest reading just a little bit about basic networking principles and i am certain you will understand the difference between local/external network)

Keep us posted, thanks

Thank you so much for this, I have just checked my two computers and yes they both share the same IP address so now I at least know a big one of the reasons why it is not working. While I would be happy with any solution to the problem I currently have, you have piqued my interest about using LOCAL networking to resolve the issue. I use a VPN and from what I have read using VPNs will cause synergy to not work. Would using local IP addresses be a way to solve this problem while still having my respective VPNs active on each computer? If not, as I said, I will gladly settle for any solution to this problem.

Thank you for the reply, hope to hear from you soon, I am excited to use the product!

Hey!

I had the same problems the OP had. 

• Windows 10 Pro (Server)
  • OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 (Client)
  • Synergy 1.8.8-stable-25a8cb2

My Mac only had one IP Adress (192.168.1.72) and my PC had 4, but the bold one was 192.168.137.1.

The connection also timed out, so I came here looking for help. I figured the problem was that the computer were on different adresses, as @Mathieu Aubin pointed out, so I changed the Server IP on the client to match the adress configuration of the client (192.168.1.XX) with one of the available options in the server side:

• Client: 192.168.1.72
  • Server: 192.168.1.70 (instead of the 192.168.137.1 that was in bold on the server side).

The issue I think is that the Getting started guide tells you to use the bold IP of the server, instead of matching IP adresses that actually connect.

Maybe my solution was lucky, but it worked. 

So I have tried using the suggestions provided in Matthieu's last post, and also tried to understand estraulino's post so that i can use his suggestions as well (though at this point I am certain I do not understand Estraulino's post because of my own ignorance), so I'll just say what I've done so far and, more importantly, state that I still don't have this working:

I looked up my local IP address for each machine: 192.168.0.8 for my server, 192.168.0.3 for the client. When i put in the server's address into the server ip field on the client, and then clicked start on each end respectively, I still get timed-out errors on my client's side. To troubleshoot, I tried putting in the client's own local IP address (192.168.0.3) into the server IP field just to see what would happen. Interestingly, I did not get the same "request timed-out" error, but instead an error saying the the request was refused. 

First I'll say that I've had no indication that Bonjour or whatever else is supposed to install when you choose "configure interactively" has in fact installed, in fact I hear what sound like error noises from Windows whenever I tell the program I'd like to begin installation of Bonjour and the setup process.. Second, when I click the "configure server" button, all I see is a grid with my server on it and no other computers on the grid. When I instead choose the "use existing configuration" radio button option and then press "start", it says "You have not filled in a valid configuration file for the syngergy server. Do you want to browse for the configuration file now?"

Can anyone help me?

Thank you all, regardless of the results so far, for taking the time to read my problem and help.

Thank you for the explanation Estraulino. However, I am afraid that your solution is does not figure in to my problem as my two IP addresses (listed in earlier posts) are already similar in the same manner that your two IP addresses are in your solution. Could someone from Symless please help at this point?

Mathieu Aubin

Hi, Just so we are clear here...

A computer can have tons of IP. They all serve just one purpose and that is the same as the address on your house. Identify the machine and allow for a route to be created to reach the destination. No matter if its an internal ip or an external one, the idea is the same -- there must not be anything blocking the routing of requests in the path of transport.

You need to understand that a request from Canada to Australia (per example) has to go thru alot of different computers on many different networks. Theses computers forward the initial request to the next until a connection has been established -- the end of the line, a successful request from start to finish.

That being said, computers in the same house normally would not rely on multiple forwarders since they are on the same network/ip range. The local ip addresses that the computers in the same house have been attributed comes from a device called a router. The router is the authority that ultimately decided which machine gets which ip on the network. Having identified the machines by a unique number, it can now direct requests between thoses computers. This means that the router is the only 'jump' that a request from 2 computers in the same house should have to go thru. ALOT faster compared to a request to australia from canada where multiple forwarders/routers are involved.

Now, if 2 machines connected to the same router in the same house cannot communicate together, we need to verify if there is anything preventing the requests from reaching the other machine -- in other words, you could call this a FIREWALL or just basic security rules that have a good reason to exist, even on the same network. Each computer can have it's own firewall configured, preventing the requests from coming IN or even coming OUT to and from a certain destination. You must make sure that no firewalls are blocking the incoming and outgoin g requests on each computers.. Then there is the router itself that can block the requests. It too serves as a firewall.

Each firewall software is different, each router is different... and for that each network  then become different

A quick thing we do to see if there is connectivity between the machines is called a PING request. Usually anwsered by the receiving computer, allowing to show that communication is possible. I would have no idea on how to do it on a microsoft machine but i'm certain this is a 45 seconds google search. Search for "send ping request windows" or something along tat line and you should find quickly. Perform the ping test between the 2 machines... i...

about a 30 minute quick internet search and read would really help in educating you towards the fundamentals, the very basics of networking (that was said in my first answer i believe, too)

anyways, again sorry i can't help much more than trying to give you the means to troubleshoot yourself and understand why and how it's working or not working...

16 hours ago, Mathieu Aubin said:

anyways, again sorry i can't help much more than trying to give you the means to troubleshoot yourself and understand why and how it's working or not working...

Please don't apologize, you've been of great help, and I want to understand it myself so i can keep these problems from happening again! Also, you have helped me again because right now I've discovered my server computer can ping my client, but when the client tries to ping the server computer, it always times out. So we know the client side pc is open for business, but the server is adamantly refusing to respond it seems.

UPDATE: I went into my windows firewall settings and changed my Domain, Private, and Public Profiles' rules to allow inbound connections that do not match a rule. This allowed me to ping my Server PC! While this was very good news and I was sure my problem was solved, I soon discovered that Synergy still would not operate. The client still got "Timed Out" errors like those I mentioned in my first post. I then suspected that the problem was no longer with firewalls (well, not ONLY with firewalls i should say), so I began tinkering with Synergy on my Server PC and found something interesting. When I reinstalled Synergy, just like when i booted it up the first time and it asked me if I wanted to install Bonjour, I clicked "yes" but this is all I'm getting as far as text: 

[2017-11-15T18:35:59] INFO: watchdog status: error

[2017-11-15T18:36:02] INFO: downloading 64-bit Bonjour

Nothing else, it nevers says it did or did not finish downloading bonjour, it just shows the above and nothing else

But elsewhere on my screen when i choose to install bonjour, I see a tiny window flicker open and close very quickly, as well as hear a windows alert jingle, but it never shows me just what windows was so alerted about.

Finally, I wonder if the copy of Synergy I keep downloading onto my Server PC is a dud or has something wrong with it. The icon in my Synergy task bar button isn't even the same green and blue logo of synergy that I see on my Client, but rather a generic icon for .jpg's :/ 

I'll include the photo, could someone from support please acknowledge my problem at this point?

Screenshot (2).png

Mathieu Aubin

Looking at the changelog from the current developement version, i can see that there was somewhat of a problem with that Bonjour thingny... Fixed in version 1.9.0-rc1

v1.9.0-rc1
==========
Bug #5467 - Failing to automatically download and install Bonjour
Enhancement #5389 - Ported GUI to Qt 5
Enhancement #4978 - Windows: Added support for Visual Studio 2015
Enhancement #5398 - Windows: Updated OpenSSL dependency to 1.0.2k

What version are you trying to run?

I just decided to drop the cash and get Symless 2.0, which has solved everything. Hopefully this is less headache for all involved, much thanks for the help everyone, especially Mathieu.