Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Virtualbox on server causes problems

Andreas Rönnquist

When I am running Virtualbox on my Synergy server (server running Debian
stable), running a virtualbox with Debian Unstable (or anything else) in a
window (not fullscreen), and try to move the mouse from the server to my client (also
running Debian stable), the Synergy Log on the server show

WARNING: can't leave screen

and the mouse gets removed until I click a mouse button or a key on the
keyboard.

This is ONLY if I have the window with virtualbox active, if it isn't active,
I can move the mouse move just like expected to the client (and back).

The same scenario works fine if running virtualbox on the client, moving the
mouse from client to server.

Andreas Rönnquist

Oops. I forgot to mention the version - it's 1.9.0-rc3-09ff581 on both server and client.

Paul Suarez

Actually, VM's use scroll lock to lock the cursor to the the VM. You can try pressing scroll lock first before switching/entering to a different screen.

Andreas Rönnquist
14 minutes ago, Paul Suarez said:

Actually, VM's use scroll lock to lock the cursor to the the VM. You can try pressing scroll lock first before switching/entering to a different screen.

Ah, I just tried restarting my VM activating scroll-lock, and indeed, with scroll lock it completely locks the cursor to the screen - and also prints

[2017-05-31T18:29:28] NOTE: Cursor is locked to screen, check Scroll Lock key

in the log. If I make sure that cursor isn't locked, I still get the behavior described in my first post. One difference is that the mouse cursor disappears when I expect it to move to the client (as opposed to being limited and unable to move away from the server).

Paul Suarez

I just saw this @Andreas Rönnquist.

To return ownership of keyboard and mouse to your host operating system, VirtualBox reserves a special key on your keyboard for itself: the "host key". By default, this is the right Control key on your keyboard; on a Mac host, the default host key is the left Command key. You can change this default in the VirtualBox Global Settings, see Section 1.15, “Global Settings”. In any case, the current setting for the host key is always displayed at the bottom right of your VM window, should you have forgotten about it: