Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

connection issue

Just purchased Synergy, and still trying to figure out how to connect my two computers...right now it is not working, the client computer tries to connect to the server and keeps failing.

I think the issue here is that the two computers have different routers (see images attached). I don't know if it is because I am on a university campus and the vpn thing which I have no control over...i don't know what I'm talking about. Oh, and I can't ping one machine from another either...

Is this something can be resolved? Please help.... Thanks a ton!

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.55.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 10.55.48.png

Edited by Yang
Paul Suarez

That is correct. They are not on the same network. You need to make sure that they are on the same network for them to communicate.

1 minute ago, Paul Suarez said:

That is correct. They are not on the same network. You need to make sure that they are on the same network for them to communicate.

How do I do that? I don't have control over the VPN setting or whatsoever, because it's setup by the university...?

Paul Suarez

That'll be a challenge then since your on a University network. Are you connecting to your University network via Wi-Fi?

Just now, Paul Suarez said:

That'll be a challenge then since your on a University network. Are you connecting to your University network via Wi-Fi?

Yes I am...I don't have access to a wired ethernet connection.

Paul Suarez

The best thing that I could think of is to get a wireless extender. You can then connect the extender to your University network and then connect both machines to that wireless extender. Although you are getting Internet access from your University network, your machines would still be able to communicate with each other since they will be virtually connected to the same network that your wireless extender creates. If you won't need Internet connection for the time being, you can try connecting both machines to your phone's portable hotspot just to have a network where the machines can communicate.