Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Multiple entering/leaving screen actions

Hi,

I'm using Synergy with my desktop machine running Windows 10 as the server and a Thinkpad X250 with Arch Linux as the client, which usually uses Budgie as desktop, but also Gnome 3 is tested.

I'm having one monitor for each machine and the main issue I have using Synergy is that when I'm moving the cursor from the server to the client, the cursor get's "stuck" shortly and then moves on.
Log tells:

[2017-05-25T23:21:10] INFO: entering screen
    /build/synergy/src/synergy-1.8.8-stable/src/lib/synergy/Screen.cpp,113
[2017-05-25T23:21:10] INFO: leaving screen
    /build/synergy/src/synergy-1.8.8-stable/src/lib/synergy/Screen.cpp,131

This is just one real movement from server to client. It seems that there are more of the multiple enter/leave combos when the cursor is moving faster to the client. Leaving is fine, just one action appears in the log.

I know that Arch Linux isn't particularly supported but it works otherwise and there's just this issue I have which sadly breaks usage because I can't move the mouse the way I'm used to. I'm using version 1.8.8. Version 1.9RC isn't available for Arch yet.

I've also noted that the memory usage of the gnome-shell process increases when entering the screen. Also the cursor sometimes disappears when moving to the server and sometimes it appears in the middle of the screen of the client.

Any idea on how to deal with this? Anyone encountered this before in some way?

Thanks.

Guest Andrew Nelless

Hey,

I use Arch Linux as my primary OS at home, and test it on Arch regularly, so don't worry about compatibility with Arch ;) This is likely a bug with your particular screen setup and mouse etc.

Did this bug exist in prior versions? Whats your screen layout and screen resolution, DPI etc?

Hey,

that's good to hear :-)

I don't think I used another, older, version yet and if I did I can't say for sure. I had to reinstall Windows last month and I can't remember having the issue back because I locked the cursor to the client due to having only one monitor. I only bought the second monitor a few days ago.

Resolution is all the same for external and internal screens, 1920x1080. Both external screens are 21,5" displays. The issue is also present when using only the internal display but I have to check if it's that way too, when the mini-DisplayPort isn't connected at the X250.

I have no scaling active on either device and the layout is simply that the client monitor is placed to the left of the server, using the graphical program on Windows.

Note: It's the same with no other external monitor attached to the X250(client).

Might be an issue with mouse acceleration and DPI though. I disabled mouse acceleration on Windows and it got better. Lowering the DPI of my mouse(Roccat Kone XTD) also "helps" but the cursor always sticks to the right border of the client when entering and then moves on. It still doesn't seem to be perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...