Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Is there a way to get synergy to auto start on windows 10 boot up?

Paul Suarez

It should do that automatically, as long as you have been able to setup Synergy on both machines and actually connect them successfully before you trigger it to reboot.

• 4 months later...
FaithNoMore82

It didn't do it automatically for me, as suggested.

The way I did it was: Windows key+R then type in "shell:startup" without the quotation marks. An explorer window should pop up. Into this explorer window you put a shortcut to synergy, kinda like drag and drop the program there. This way works fine for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, it didn't install it by default as a service. I used FaithNoMore82 tricks to make it work.

And there is no option nowhere to install it as a service

• 4 weeks later...

Same here, I have to manually start Synergy on both the server (Windows 10) and the clients (Mac OS X Yosemite) and the second Windows box (Win 10). Is there not a setting somewhere to say 'start when machine powers up'?

+1 this. The "shell:startup" trick works partially for me, sometimes it does auto connect (with the server on Mac OS), sometimes it doesn't, and it always shows the window (minimised at best). Is there a way to just start the daemon?

Thank you for your reply. That's actually the setup I have and it works correctly, Synergy starts with the Mac and runs from the menubar. It's the Windows side of things that a little rougher, showing in the taskbar until i manually close it.

FaithNoMore82

Yeah, I have to click "Hide" in the menu on Windows 10 all the time as well, on both machines. 

My "fix" is a dirty one, until they release a better one :(

However, coming from two other software solutions, I like Synergy the best so far.

It was tweaky to setup, with admin windows and auto start up,. but it performs best from my point of view so far. 

No lag, and no major connection problems so far

Yeah I totally agree with you, coming from ShareMouse and a couple more, I have to say nothing gets even closer to the smooth experience Synergy offers. I'm just a little disappointed about it not having a simple "Start service with the computer" check :/
I have high hopes for v2, but I can't make the jump since it's not (yet) compatible with my Mac OS version (10.10).

FaithNoMore82

Yeah, that sums up my experience as well. I had Microsft's Mouse without Borders and after that Share Mouse. They both had their own set of issues, which annoyed me too much.

Here is us hoping the devs here will fix our "problems" internally :D

Edit: Too not to

Edited by FaithNoMore82
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 this is a must-have feature for me. I've just installed v2.0.2, but there are no options for starting after reboot. Will use the workaround for now, thanks for the tips in this thread!

• 1 month later...

uhmm ... I literally just swapped out a new PC (windows 10) and synergy does not connect at the windows login. It does work fine in on the old (windows 7) machine I just replaced. 

• 1 year later...
Kelvin Tran

Everyone,

Regarding issues with Synergy at log-in (Windows), please note that this behavior should be enabled by default upon installation of Synergy.

If it isn't, please place a shortcut (technical name: symbolic link) of the Synergy executable (synergy.exe) into the startup directory (Windows Key + R, type "shell:startup" (no quotes)). This will prompt Windows to automatically start the executable on startup.

For the sake of ease of viewing, I'd advise/recommend anyone that has further issues with this to start a new thread.

• 2 years later...
On 9/30/2017 at 8:42 AM, FaithNoMore82 said:

It didn't do it automatically for me, as suggested.

The way I did it was: Windows key+R then type in "shell:startup" without the quotation marks. An explorer window should pop up. Into this explorer window you put a shortcut to synergy, kinda like drag and drop the program there. This way works fine for me.

Wow that actually worked! thanks! I did not know you could do that

Edited by IGS