Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Server refused client with our name

DaanVerhagen

hi,

after filling out the IP address from the server the connection can not be established because of the error "Server refused client with our name". Could this be due to the fact that im on a university network and not a "privat" one?

-Daan

Paul Suarez

Hi @DaanVerhagen. This error is usually because of either a misspelled screen name added on the server or a client screen name having special characters(@, $, *, -). Please check the screen name you added on the server's Synergy interface. 

DaanVerhagen

Hi Paul,

I tried it and named my server DESKTOPDAAN and my laptop LAPTOPDAAN. both no special characters. Now i dont get the previous error anymore but simply that it is failing to connect.

For a connection from the Client side, do i fill out the IP address (which is multiple when im at work) in the client and then hit start? Or is auto config required? both dont work atm

-daan

Paul Suarez

It would be best to manually enter it specially when your computer has multiple network adapters enabled.

DaanVerhagen

I tried all the available IP's from the server but for all it either says: "failed to connect to server: Timed out" or it says "server refused client with name "LAPTOPDAAN". The option auto config was off and still no success. Any other suggestions perhaps?

Paul Suarez

@DaanVerhagenPlease send us a screenshot of both server and client's Synergy interface. Also, please send us a copy of the log where it says "server refused client."

DaanVerhagen

hi paul,

attached are screenshots of the client side with the "server refused client" error and the server side that tries to connect. The other IP addresses of the server side gives a different error message "Timed out" as exampled by the third picture 

synergy client.PNG

Synergy server.PNG

synergy client timed out.PNG

Paul Suarez

Hi @DaanVerhagen. It shows a different screen name on your server which is LMMEBMBMPG2 instead of the one you said you set as DESKTOPDAAN. Also, please refrain from using an IP address which starts with 169.254.X.X (X varies). That IP address is automatically set by the machine itself if can't find a DHCP server or the adapter itself is not working properly.

Please make sure you set the screen names as it reflects on what you have set on the Server Configuration box.

DaanVerhagen

Im not sure what you mean. First of all, my server is indeed called LMMEBMBMPG2 and my client is called LAPTOPDAAN (DESKTOPDAAN is my home desktop computer, LMMEBMBMPG2 is my working computer) as defined in the Settings menu. If i try giving the server side at work a different name, the error is "Unknown screen name", suggesting that it has to be the same as the actual name of my pc in system settings.

If you suggest that the client should be called LMMEBMBMPG2 (similar to the server), I tried this and then the error is "Failed to connect to server: server already has a connected client with our name". 

Actually what might be the problem is that the computer name of my work PC in the system settings is LMMEBMB-MPG2 (i.e. with a dash). I'm probably unable to change this because the computer is connected to a larger network which a name change would probably compromise.

I will not be using the 169.254.X.X. addresses but this still does not resolve the first error message that the server refuses the client whichever name i use.

All together, if you think the problem is that my work computer's name has a dash (-) in the name that might cause the problem, then this would probably be too big of an effort on my end to change. I'm not going bother asking my IT dept. to change the computer name without a dash just so i can use this program. Hopefully if this issue is unresolved i can get a refund, or perhaps if there is a fix soon where computer names can have dashes (or other special characters) i will wait for it a little. 

Paul Suarez
50 minutes ago, DaanVerhagen said:

Im not sure what you mean. First of all, my server is indeed called LMMEBMBMPG2 and my client is called LAPTOPDAAN (DESKTOPDAAN is my home desktop computer, LMMEBMBMPG2 is my working computer) as defined in the Settings menu. If i try giving the server side at work a different name, the error is "Unknown screen name", suggesting that it has to be the same as the actual name of my pc in system settings.

If you suggest that the client should be called LMMEBMBMPG2 (similar to the server), I tried this and then the error is "Failed to connect to server: server already has a connected client with our name". 

Actually what might be the problem is that the computer name of my work PC in the system settings is LMMEBMB-MPG2 (i.e. with a dash). I'm probably unable to change this because the computer is connected to a larger network which a name change would probably compromise.

I will not be using the 169.254.X.X. addresses but this still does not resolve the first error message that the server refuses the client whichever name i use.

All together, if you think the problem is that my work computer's name has a dash (-) in the name that might cause the problem, then this would probably be too big of an effort on my end to change. I'm not going bother asking my IT dept. to change the computer name without a dash just so i can use this program. Hopefully if this issue is unresolved i can get a refund, or perhaps if there is a fix soon where computer names can have dashes (or other special characters) i will wait for it a little. 

@DaanVerhagen the screen name does not rely the actual name of your PC in system settings. The screen name relies on how you set it on the server configuration. Also, when you brought up the issue on your end you stated that "I tried it and named my server DESKTOPDAAN and my laptop LAPTOPDAAN." That's why I got confused seeing a screenshot of a machine having that LMMEBMBMPG2 as the screen name. If you are planning to use Synergy with two setups (home and work), you'd need to have a different configuration for each.

DaanVerhagen

Okay, sorry about the confusion. However, this still does not fix any of my problems. If you have no more suggestions how to fix it i will probably get in contact with the person responsible for billing and gonna ask them for a refund

• 1 month later...
Paul Suarez

Hi @DaanVerhagen. Sorry for the late reply. Do you still need further help on this? If you'd need to have two separate configuration (one for home and another one for work), I can help you in setting that up.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Server and client both Win 10 - both displayed the correct name for the client automatically. When I selected it and entered it again for both Synergy Pro (1.8.8) began working.

• 2 months later...

Go to configure server and add a computer with the same name as your laptop with a extra letter @ the end EG:LAPTOPDAAN1 then put the actual name of the laptop in the alias box EG:LAPTOPDAAN and click add 

• 2 weeks later...

That worked for me, but only after I clicked on the Apply Button in the Main screen, only adding the Name in the "Configure Server" did not work without apply :-)

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
11 minutes ago, Nocktis said:

Here are a few images

Great guide! Would you mind if we use that for inspiration in our documentation?

3 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Great guide! Would you mind if we use that for inspiration in our documentation?

Please do.  Happy to help.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad i could help

Nocktis well done on the illustrated guide. i didn't even think about putting one together but i don't think i could have done as good a job..  

• Guest locked this topic