Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

SSL Encryption Makes Client lag

gdawg0203

I upgraded to synergy pro for the SSL encryption, as well as to support the creator. But since doing so with SSL encryption on, the mouse will lag out or stop working completely when on the client's monitor. but the moment it is disabled and running, no problems at all.
Running on Windows 10 on client and server, and using version Synergy 1.8.8

Edited by gdawg0203
forgot information
OA Thorben

Got the same issue. Turning of SSL constantly can't be the fix, i don't want my keystrokes to be send unencrypted in the network.

I'm on Wifi and tether my macbook to my macbook by ethernet is def. not an option.

I've read the thread in the general discussion board and i def. know its not my wifi connectivity ( Route directly beside macbook and imac).

Please tell me you are working on a fix for the issue (as many user seem to have that problem), without it synergy is useless..

gdawg0203
8 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

Ah, sorry to hear that. Are you connecting over wifi or ethernet?

I the host server is through Ethernet, and the client server is through WIFI. But,the client is inches away from the router and I have fairly decent internet (100 up 10 down but when tested its 120 up 12 down)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
10 hours ago, gdawg0203 said:

Yes, it is enabled on both the client and the server.

So, turning SSL off stops the lag from happening?

gdawg0203
14 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

So, turning SSL off stops the lag from happening?

That is correct. Once the client and server are have SSL off i have no issues with the moues delaying/lagging.  By delay/lag I mean i'll try moving the mouse to the laptop (in this case being a Surface Pro 4) and it will take a good 15 seconds before the mouse shows up on screen, and then sometimes randomly during use the mouse will jump around. When SSL is disabled on both devices this issue doesn't happen

Edited by gdawg0203
added example of issue
benjaminpottier

I just purchased this product and while I really like it I too have lag with ssl enabled. I also agree that disabling ssl is not an option. Any fix?

Guest Jerry Hou

Hi guys,

Thanks for the information.

Could you set log level to Debug1 and post some logging to here?

Another factor that we can check is the CPU usage when SSL is on?

Thanks 

gdawg0203
41 minutes ago, Jerry Hou said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the information.

Could you set log level to Debug1 and post some logging to here?

Another factor that we can check is the CPU usage when SSL is on?

Thanks 

Next time I use synergy I will set it to debug, but should it be set to debug, debug 1, debug 2?

Guest Jerry Hou
11 minutes ago, gdawg0203 said:

Next time I use synergy I will set it to debug, but should it be set to debug, debug 1, debug 2?

Please use Debug1 since this would give us the cipher suite information

gdawg0203

This is from roughly 10 minutes of using synergy. Along with the mouse delay when using SSL I tried dragging a file from the server to the host (a feature that should work), it is in the logged files. Also checked how each computers CPU usage was when running Synergy with and without SSL and both times Synergy used .8% or less.

synergy_Server.log

synergy_client.log

• 2 weeks later...
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 5/13/2017 at 9:26 PM, gdawg0203 said:

Been a while, still no response. Any update on this??

Sorry for the delay! I chased @Paul Suarez for you.

Hi Guys,

Me too facing the issue of lag when moving from one monitor to other if ssh enabled.

I am using on Windows 7 Pro. For me the lag is 2-3 sec every time. Even 1 sec lag is making much issues in our environment.

Our systems are connected via 1Gbps ethernet through Cisco switch

Guest Jerry Hou

> By delay/lag I mean i'll try moving the mouse to the laptop (in this case being a Surface Pro 4) and it will take a good 15 seconds before the mouse shows up on screen

This sounds like an issue with the clipboard. When you have something big in your clipboard, it might disconnect Synergy on switching screen, especially with SSL on.

> and then sometimes randomly during use the mouse will jump around. When SSL is disabled on both devices this issue doesn't happen

Could you open a command prompt and ping each other. Leave the ping going. When you experience the lag, please look back to the ping result. This would help us to identify if the problem is from the network.

Thanks,

I can confirm this as well, this morning I decided to upgrade to Pro for security purposes but when I enabled SSL on both ends the client is completely unusable. On the client the cursor barely moves and sits there bouncing around so I had to enabled my touch pad to force it right to get my mouse to work on the server. This behavior is consistent in v1.8.8 and v1.9.0 RC3 as well I tried upgrading hoping for a fix :( also when I check the box enable SSL both computers freeze for a little bit guessing that's because it's generating some type of key?

• Server
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise Build 16193
    • Synergy v1.9.0 RC3 (issue was present using v1.8.8)
    • Wired network connection
  • Client
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise Build 16188
    • Wi-Fi network connection (connecting wired made no difference)

Let me know what I can do to help with this, looks like there is similar issues reported at GitHub as well.

Paul Suarez
1 hour ago, ga$E said:

I can confirm this as well, this morning I decided to upgrade to Pro for security purposes but when I enabled SSL on both ends the client is completely unusable. On the client the cursor barely moves and sits there bouncing around so I had to enabled my touch pad to force it right to get my mouse to work on the server. This behavior is consistent in v1.8.8 and v1.9.0 RC3 as well I tried upgrading hoping for a fix :( also when I check the box enable SSL both computers freeze for a little bit guessing that's because it's generating some type of key?

• Server
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise Build 16193
    • Wired network connection
  • Client
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise Build 16188
    • Wi-Fi network connection (connecting wired made no difference)

Let me know what I can do to help with this, looks like there is similar issues reported at GitHub as well.

Do you have a third party firewall on your computer?

4 minutes ago, Paul Suarez said:

Do you have a third party firewall on your computer?

Nope I'm just using Windows Firewall and I tried disabling to see if it would help but it didn't

Paul Suarez

@ga$EThis might sound odd, but can you try using your smartphone as an access point for your machines. Connect both machines to your smartphone's mobile hotspot and check if it still lags with the SSL turned on.

2 minutes ago, Paul Suarez said:

@ga$EThis might sound odd, but can you try using your smartphone as an access point for your machines. Connect both machines to your smartphone's mobile hotspot and check if it still lags with the SSL turned on.

My desktop computer (server) doesn't have a wireless NIC I mean I can try another network switch but both computers when wired are connected at 1 GbE.

Edited by ga$E