Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Starting up Synergy Client at login Ubuntu 15.04

Mark Inkley

I have a ubuntu 15.04 server which runs as Kodi only server. It does not have a keyboard or mouse connected so to configure something I have to plug a keyboard and mouse which is not convenient.

The system boots up and auto logs into a default user and I start a bunch of apps using the Application Startup including the synergy client. I thought I would share how it's setup.

Create a script and put the following command in it. Replace the with your own values.

nohup /usr/bin/synergyc -f --no-tray --debug INFO --name ALIAS SYNERGY_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS:PORT &

ALIAS could be the server name
SYNERGY_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS:   The ip address of the synergy server.
PORT: default is 28400 - the same as on the server - you might use different ports for different servers.

example 

echo "nohup /usr/bin/synergyc -f --no-tray --debug INFO --name kodiMedia 192.168.222.23:24800 &" >>/usr/local/bin/startSynergyc.sh;chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/startSynergyc.sh

To set this up to run at login, add the /usr/local/bin/startSynergyc.sh to the startup application. You can do this by clicking on the ubuntu desktop search icon usually at the top left of the screen.

Type in 'startup'

it should find 'Startup Applications' icon, click on it and it will open the 'Startup Applications' window. Add a new startup entry and use the /usr/local/bin/startSynergyc.sh as the path. This will start up without any Tray Icon.