Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mouse on client moves 2x as fast up and left

Fred Anderson

Server Mac OSX Sierra - Synergy 1.8.4

Client Win 10 - Synergy 1.8.4

I have been using Synergy for a year with no problems, this started yesterday, may be related to Sierra Update on my Server.

The mouse moves normally on the server. However, on the client, the mouse seems to move left and up at a rate that is twice as fast/far as it does down and to the left.

Thanks in advance.

Same here, latest version, same strange movement moving up and left. if I spin my cursor in a small circle it seems to spiral towards the top left of the screen.

Also running OS X Sierra on my server, and windows 10 as a client.

Fred Anderson

Ryan, what kind of mouse are you using? I am using a Logitech G502 (wired). I will try to dig up an old mouse later and see if happens there as well.

Andy Jarrell

I have seen this too with the following setup:

Server Mac OSX Sierra - Synergy 1.8.4

Client Ubuntu 14.04 - Synergy 1.8.4

I have a Steel Series Sensei Raw. I was seeing odd behavior where the mouse movement was both faster, and the mouse acceleration only seemed to be applied in the vertical up direction (hilariously frustrating). It had worked fine before I updated to Sierra with 1.8.4. I got around it by installing a tool provided by SteelSeries called ExactMouse, which disabled acceleration only for the SteelSeries devices. Not ideal, but has me working. However, I have another issue which is regarding my desktop arrangement. My setup is:

[ubuntu monitor] [MacBook secondary monitor][MacBook built-in monitor]

What I experience is when I go into the Ubuntu monitor and then move back the mouse shows up in the center of the built-in MacBook monitor.

I imagine Sierra is doing something very different than what Yosemite was doing in the realm of the mouse. I'll search the forum to see if I can find anyone else with a suggestion. I haven't yet tried the 1.8.5 stable build, but may do that next.

Fred Anderson

I have tried the nightly stable builds of 1.8.5 with no luck. I dusted off my mac Magic Mouse and it works just fine.

I am guessing it something to do with our third party gaming mice. Not sure about your steelcase by my logitech has all kinds of settings for precision and polling rate.

I would be interested to see if others are having this problem, and if so how they are coping with it.

Collin Lichtenberger

I've been having this exact same issue. It is most definitely related to Mac OS 10.12. This behavior immediately started after the Mac OS Upgrade. It makes the client machine very frustrating to use. And I've had the issue across a number of clients Win10 and Mac OS 10.11.

Fred Anderson

Maybe we could get a Synergy dev to chime in here. Is this an Apple issue, or a Synergy issue?

@Collin, what kind of mouse are you using?

Thanks in advance.

I experience the same problem. I use OS Sierra as server, Win10 as slave - mouse moves weirdly on the slave.

Furthermore, in a maybe related issue, rapid mousemovement on the slave, will trigger mouse-over effects on the master in the center of the screen.

Eric Schlegel

I'm experiencing the same issue after upgrading the MacOS Sierra 10.12.

Synergy Version - 1.8.5

Client - Windows 7

Mouse - Corsair M50.

I've never had a mouse sensitivity issue before with any previous version of MacOS.

The speed almost makes the Windows machine unusable.

Changing the pointer speed in Windows Control Panel or tracking in Mac System Preferences didn't make any difference.

Eric Schlegel

After some research, it looks like there is an issue related to gaming mice and Sierra.

I did find a fix for my situation, although I don't know how temporary it is. I restarted the Mac (server) without the mouse plugged in. After the reboot, I plugged the same mouse back in and started Synergy again. The mouse speed on the Win7 machine (client) has returned to normal speed and seems to be tracking in the right direction.

Fred Anderson

Hi Eric, this did not work for me. Has anyone else had success with this?

At this point I have assume that they will fix this. Because Sierra is picking up steam and the app is almost useless at this point. I have reverted to using the trackpad mouse on the client when I go over there.

Fred Anderson

Message from Tech Support:

"I'm sorry to say, but this a new bug caused by macOS Sierra. We're working on a fix for this now, and in a few weeks we'll release a new version which should solve your problem."

I will wait it out. When this program works, it is perfect for the work that I do. Sadly, when it is not working it is almost like a form of torture.

• 4 weeks later...

tl;dr: seems like the server is sending more mouse updates in left and up directions.

Just another mostly happy user. Problem still occurs with "official" 1.8.6 build (1.8.6-stable-2ab21aa, built Dec 12). Server: macOS Sierra 10.12.1. Client: Windows 10 Pro x64.

Simplest way to reproduce is to move pointer to Windows machine and then move the mouse in small circles - pointer drifts up and to the left.

Attempted troubleshooting:

* This "up and to the left" drift occurs regardless of the client/server screen orientation in server settings.

* Enabling "use relative mouse moves" on server has no effect on the drifting behavior.

* Disabling SSL on both machines has no effect.

* Increased loglevel to DEBUG2 on server. Noticed that in the log, mouse movements to the left and up arrive in "bursts" of up to 8 coordinate updates, whereas right and down mouse movements are only one or two coordinate updates, viz.

Example left/up movement, logged:

[2016-12-15T01:59:33] DEBUG2: no-op from

[2016-12-15T01:59:33] DEBUG2: mouse move +1280,+720

[2016-12-15T01:59:33] DEBUG2: mouse move +1280,+721

[2016-12-15T01:59:33] DEBUG2: onMouseMoveSecondary +0,+1

Example right/down movement, logged:

[2016-12-15T02:00:01] DEBUG2: no-op from

[2016-12-15T02:00:01] DEBUG2: mouse move +1279,+720

[2016-12-15T02:00:01] DEBUG2: onMouseMoveSecondary -1,+0

On Windows client, mouse moves are "aligned" as single coordinate updates regardless of movement direction:

[2016-12-15T02:08:38] DEBUG2: readf: read 2 byte integer: 919 (0x397)

[2016-12-15T02:08:38] DEBUG2: recv mouse move 843,919

[2016-12-15T02:08:38] DEBUG2: writef(CNOP)

Based on the above, it looks like the server is sending an increased frequency of updates in the left/up direction, causing the "drift" behavior. Haven't examined the source but one quick way to fix might be to limit the server to use the same update frequency regardless of mouse movement direction (making it look more like the example right/down movement example above). This would be potentially at the expense of higher update frequency.

Edited by Guest
Fred Anderson

@Asa Thank you for this info I hope the dev team can make use of it. I am really surprised that Symless team has not resolved this issue. I was hopeful when I looked at the nightlies and saw there was a beta for 2.0. I gave it a try and the problem is still there.

Aaron Moore

Anyone find any solutions to this problem? I just paid for synergy thinking it was some settings thing but I guess not. Seems like this issue was reported over a month ago. Any feedback from the devs on if this is a priority?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish I'd read this thread before I shelled out for this..

Drawing in circles *really* shows off the upwards/left tendency of the mouse cursor..

Is this also the cause of the floaty/laggy experience? I suspect this is more to do with my WiFi lag (4-5ms ping) but I feel like the captain of a ship.

I understand that the GPL doesn't allow for trial versions, but a trial version would certainly have alerted me to this problem *before* I became a customer.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon.. In the mean time, I guess I have 30 days to have a refund issued.

EDIT: I do notice that the problem is less pronounced if the server configuration window is dismissed/closed. That's something at least.

Michael Park

Re: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2364

Synergy Issues (Bugs) on MacOS

Post by Michael Park » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:44 am

Hi, I've used Synergy for several years (5+), but am new to these newer forums. After my first post on Feb 11, 2017 ("Synergy & Moom (MacOS)"), I read many posts made by other users regarding issues that I've been experiencing for years, and that are apparently still unresolved (smh). Fyi, I use 2-3 identical iMacs, same high-end model hardware and software on all machines. And all are connected via gigEthernet and ethernet switch.

1) The lag over WiFi has been a known issue for years. The WiFi lag is also the reason for failed or delayed cut&paste between server and client. (You may search past Synergy related forums, like those on Google Boards, to verify that these two issues have been known and discussed for years!) The only solution that I've found, is to connect all Server and Client machines via wired ethernet and ethernet switch.

2) Keyboard shortcuts entered from the Server do not work reliably on the Client. It's Synergy, not MacOS. This can be proven by using the Client's local keyboard and mouse on an identical machine which has the same keyboard shortcuts as the Server. There's still no solution available for this issue.

3) Mission Control, by keyboard shortcut or mouse tools (like MagicPrefs), does not work. Again, it's Synergy, not MacOS. This is also proven by using the Client's local keyboard and mouse on an identical machine which has the same keyboard shortcuts or mouse tools as the Server. There's still no solution available for this issue.

4) Unpredictable mouse control, and much faster and more sensitive mouse scroll and tracking speed on the Client machine has also been reported for years! From old forums, this was thought to be a Synergy bug when waking a machine from sleep mode, but even after restarting Server and Client, the odd behavior persists. There's still no solution available for this issue.

Unfortunately, there really isn't a comparable alternative solution to Synergy, so I tolerate the bugs. However, 5+ years seems an unreasonably long period of time for these issues to still exist; especially since the company now (and for the past year or so) asks users to buy a license. (And yes, I know I can get the builds off of Github for free, but I want to support the project, so I purchased a license.) But, this is getting old. If you want sell licenses, the Synergy project, or rather the company Symless, needs to get it together. Your users have been reporting the same issues for years, yet they still haven't been resolved. And btw, the knowledge base is just silly; it only has 8 articles. 8? Lol, cmon.

Bump this post if you agree. Thanks!

M

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Hi Michael,

We're working hard to resolve the most upvoted Synergy issues (please vote by using a thumbs up on GitHub).

Development takes time because we only have 2 engineers, and one of them has worked at Symless for less than a year. We're a small software company and we're desperately looking for C++ engineers to join our team, so if you know anyone please send them to the Symless careers page.

Thanks,

Nick

• Nick Bolton unpinned this topic